Secret for Athlon installation - Help

This is a discussion on Secret for Athlon installation - Help ; Is there a secret for installing to an Athlon (1.0 GHz, 128M ram) system? Boot from the cd is normal but without boot arguments the installer hangs at "running /sbin /loader". Thinking hardware issues I pulled the sound card and ...

  1. Secret for Athlon installation

    Is there a secret for installing to an Athlon (1.0 GHz, 128M ram) system?
    Boot from the cd is normal but without boot arguments the installer hangs
    at "running /sbin /loader".

    Thinking hardware issues I pulled the sound card and modem. Only NIC and
    AGP remain but no change.

    With boot arguments like "x86_serial_nr=1" "text expert nofb" I get to a
    screen full of hex code and error flags beginning with "Code Bad EIP value".

    I've had similar hangs with RH 5.1, 6.1, 7.0 Mandrake 7.0 (and FreeBSD 4.8).
    This machine will boot and run on a win98 drive just fine.

    I am out of ideas. Can anyone point me in a new direction.

    TIA
    Greg,
    "That's Mister Newbie to you, young whippersnapper."

  2. Re: Secret for Athlon installation

    Fri, 23 Jul 2004 06:53:13 -0700 tarihinde, Gregorio dedi ki:

    > Is there a secret for installing to an Athlon (1.0 GHz, 128M ram) system?

    AFAIK no. Have you tried latest distros? (e.g. mdk 10.0 or SuSE 9.1)

    --
    Abdullah | aramazan@ |
    Ramazanoglu | myrealbox |

  3. Re: Secret for Athlon installation

    > AFAIK no. Have you tried latest distros? (e.g. mdk 10.0 or SuSE 9.1)

    Abdullah,

    No, I have a boxed set for RH7 so I've tried mostly with that. I
    downloaded the ISOs for RH9 but I burn the cd's from Mac OSX.3.4 as
    hybrid pc/mac discs and the PC won't boot from my discs. (As I'm
    writing this I wonder is there a Athlon specific RH ISO? gotta check
    that.)

    I don't know SuSE at all but as it is so popular it might be a good
    time to check it out.

    Thanks for the thoughts,
    Gregorio

+ Reply to Thread