Help in diagnosing keyboard problem? - Help

This is a discussion on Help in diagnosing keyboard problem? - Help ; Hi I recently installed a new motherboard/processor (gigabyte 8knxp/P4 3.0G) on my RH9 distribution and ever since I have been having an intermittant keyboard problem. I was on the standard kernel, but upgraded to 2.4.20-31.9smp. That helped a bit, but ...

  1. Help in diagnosing keyboard problem?

    Hi

    I recently installed a new motherboard/processor (gigabyte 8knxp/P4 3.0G) on my RH9 distribution and ever since I have been having an intermittant keyboard problem. I was on the standard kernel, but upgraded to 2.4.20-31.9smp. That helped a bit, but the problem still occurs. The one custom module I use is iteraid.o, which is needed to access the ATA drives on the 8knxp.

    The problem is this:
    (a) once or twice a day my keyboard will do one of the following:
    (b) act as if the control key is held down (each key press/mouse click becomes ctrl-key or ctrl-click)
    (c) act as if keys are shifted. For example, it will start typing in caps. If I put caps lock on, it will type in lowercase.
    print a 4,6 or 8 when pressing an arrow key (rather than moving the cursor).
    (d) repeat a key until the next keypress (eg it just printed out 20 4s (deleted) in this email after pressing the left arrow key)

    My keyboard is a logitech "office internet" keyboard (OEM product) with a ps/2 connector.

    I think this is a problem with the input driver. Any ideas about what I could try in diagnosing the cause of this/who I can talk to to find a solution would be appreciated.

    TIA

    Brendan

  2. Re: Help in diagnosing keyboard problem?

    Brendan S (Scratch User) wrote:
    >Hi
    >
    >I recently installed a new motherboard/processor (gigabyte 8knxp/P4 3.0G) on my RH9 distribution and ever since I have been having an intermittant keyboard problem. I was on the standard kernel, but upgraded to 2.4.20-31.9smp. That helped a bit, but the problem still occurs. The one custom module I use is iteraid.o, which is needed to access the ATA drives on the 8knxp.
    >
    >The problem is this:
    >(a) once or twice a day my keyboard will do one of the following:
    >(b) act as if the control key is held down (each key press/mouse click becomes ctrl-key or ctrl-click)

    >I think this is a problem with the input driver. Any ideas about what I could try in diagnosing the cause of this/who I can talk to to find a solution would be appreciated.

    This occasionally happens to me on my Toshiba Satellite A30.
    I'm not exactly sure what causes it, but I have found that
    CTRL+ALT+F1-ing into text mode (or in that case, ALT+F1-ing
    and then back into X resolves the issue.

    Worthy of note, is that this has never happened to me while
    using Solaris on the same laptop (which uses Xsun, a derivative
    of Xorg). Apparently XFree86 accesses keyboard hardware
    directly (see the "atkbd.c: unknown key released - XFree86
    shouldn't access hardware directly" bug), so the two combined
    lead me to believe it's an XFree86 thing.

    HTH,
    --
    Eric Enright /"\
    ericAtiptsoftDcom \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign

  3. Re: Help in diagnosing keyboard problem? - commands to reset keyboard?

    Yes, I have noticed that if I log off and log on again that usually resolves it (alt-F1 doesn't seem to work for me).

    Is there any command that I can issue from the command line to reset the keyboard or X but leave my open windows open?

    Brendan

    Eric Enright wrote:
    > Brendan S (Scratch User) wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>I recently installed a new motherboard/processor (gigabyte 8knxp/P4 3.0G) on my RH9 distribution and ever since I have been having an intermittant keyboard problem. I was on the standard kernel, but upgraded to 2.4.20-31.9smp. That helped a bit, but the problem still occurs. The one custom module I use is iteraid.o, which is needed to access the ATA drives on the 8knxp.
    >>
    >>The problem is this:
    >>(a) once or twice a day my keyboard will do one of the following:
    >>(b) act as if the control key is held down (each key press/mouse click becomes ctrl-key or ctrl-click)

    >>I think this is a problem with the input driver. Any ideas about what I could try in diagnosing the cause of this/who I can talk to to find a solution would be appreciated.

    > This occasionally happens to me on my Toshiba Satellite A30.
    > I'm not exactly sure what causes it, but I have found that
    > CTRL+ALT+F1-ing into text mode (or in that case, ALT+F1-ing
    > and then back into X resolves the issue.
    >
    > Worthy of note, is that this has never happened to me while
    > using Solaris on the same laptop (which uses Xsun, a derivative
    > of Xorg). Apparently XFree86 accesses keyboard hardware
    > directly (see the "atkbd.c: unknown key released - XFree86
    > shouldn't access hardware directly" bug), so the two combined
    > lead me to believe it's an XFree86 thing.
    >
    > HTH,

  4. Re: Help in diagnosing keyboard problem? - commands to reset keyboard?

    Brendan S (Scratch User) wrote:

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html>

    >Eric Enright wrote:
    >> Brendan S (Scratch User) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>I recently installed a new motherboard/processor (gigabyte 8knxp/P4 3.0G) on my RH9 distribution and ever since I have been having an intermittant keyboard problem. I was on the standard kernel, but upgraded to 2.4.20-31.9smp. That helped a bit, but the problem still occurs. The one custom module I use is iteraid.o, which is needed to access the ATA drives on the 8knxp.
    >>>
    >>>The problem is this:
    >>>(a) once or twice a day my keyboard will do one of the following:
    >>>(b) act as if the control key is held down (each key press/mouse click becomes ctrl-key or ctrl-click)

    >>>I think this is a problem with the input driver. Any ideas about what I could try in diagnosing the cause of this/who I can talk to to find a solution would be appreciated.

    >> This occasionally happens to me on my Toshiba Satellite A30.
    >> I'm not exactly sure what causes it, but I have found that
    >> CTRL+ALT+F1-ing into text mode (or in that case, ALT+F1-ing
    >> and then back into X resolves the issue.
    >>
    >> Worthy of note, is that this has never happened to me while
    >> using Solaris on the same laptop (which uses Xsun, a derivative
    >> of Xorg). Apparently XFree86 accesses keyboard hardware
    >> directly (see the "atkbd.c: unknown key released - XFree86
    >> shouldn't access hardware directly" bug), so the two combined
    >> lead me to believe it's an XFree86 thing.
    >>
    >> HTH,

    >Yes, I have noticed that if I log off and log on again that usually resolves it (alt-F1 doesn't seem to work for me).
    >
    >Is there any command that I can issue from the command line to reset the keyboard or X but leave my open windows open?

    Not that I know of off-hand. I imagine that switching video
    resolutions would work though (CTRL-ALT- and
    CTRL-ALT- on the keypad), provided your X server is
    configured for it, which it probably is.

    If so, any type of video resolution change would do, and it
    wouldn't be too difficult to come up with something to
    change/change-back on demand.

    --
    Eric Enright /"\
    ericAtiptsoftDcom \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign
    X Against HTML E-Mail
    Public Key: 0xBEDF636F / \

  5. Re: Help in diagnosing keyboard problem? - commands to reset keyboard?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.]
    Eric Enright enlightened us with:
    > >http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html>

    If you're commenting on someone top posting, at least make sure you
    snip your post and set a good example ;-)

    Sybren

  6. Re: Help in diagnosing keyboard problem? - commands to reset keyboard?

    Eric Enright wrote:
    > Brendan S (Scratch User) wrote:
    >

    >>Yes, I have noticed that if I log off and log on again that usually resolves it (alt-F1 doesn't seem to work for me).
    >>
    >>Is there any command that I can issue from the command line to reset the keyboard or X but leave my open windows open?

    > Not that I know of off-hand. I imagine that switching video
    > resolutions would work though (CTRL-ALT- and
    > CTRL-ALT- on the keypad), provided your X server is
    > configured for it, which it probably is.
    >
    > If so, any type of video resolution change would do, and it
    > wouldn't be too difficult to come up with something to
    > change/change-back on demand.

    Good idea. X is configured for it. Unfortunately it doesn't resolve the problem

    Brendan

+ Reply to Thread