Relocation error / libstdc++.so.5 - Help

This is a discussion on Relocation error / libstdc++.so.5 - Help ; Hello, I have a very big problem and I would be very thankfull, if somebody would help me out, since I don't know how to fix this. It all started with me trying to install an old library (libstdc++.so.2.8) into ...

  1. Relocation error / libstdc++.so.5

    Hello,

    I have a very big problem and I would be very thankfull, if somebody
    would help me out, since I don't know how to fix this.

    It all started with me trying to install an old library
    (libstdc++.so.2.8) into /usr/lib, which I need to start a java
    applicaton server.

    Since linking to a newer library version didn't do the job, I decided
    to download the old library from a remote system (which was bad idea).

    What I realized now is that the kernel version differed. Anyway I
    downloaded the module with ssh directly into the /usr/lib/ folder.

    Thereafter my system kind of crashed. X shut itself down. I can still
    boot the system but executing most commands leads to the following
    error message:

    dselect: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: no verrsion information available
    (required by dselect)
    dselect: relocation error: dselect: symbol
    _ZVN10__cxxabiv120__si_class_type_infoE, verson GLIBCPP_3.2 not
    defined in file libstdc++.co.5 with link time reference

    FAM a program which watches certain files for changes fails on bootup
    giving the the same error message:

    /usr/sbin/famd: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: no verrsion information
    available (required by dselect)
    /usr/sbin/famd: relocation error: dselect: symbol
    _ZVN10__cxxabiv120__si_class_type_infoE, verson GLIBCPP_3.2 not
    defined in file libstdc++.co.5 with link time reference

    After these messages I deleted the oldlibrary from the /usr/lib path
    and touched all the new vesions available.

    I'm running debian/testing (kernel 2.6.5) so I also ran
    dpkg-reconfigure on those libraries.

    But it all did not help. Can somebody please help me? I'm desperate
    and don't know what I can do to get the system going again...

  2. Re: Relocation error / libstdc++.so.5

    fritz-bayer@web.de (Fritz Bayer) wrote in message news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a very big problem and I would be very thankfull, if somebody
    > would help me out, since I don't know how to fix this.
    >
    > It all started with me trying to install an old library
    > (libstdc++.so.2.8) into /usr/lib, which I need to start a java
    > applicaton server.
    >
    > Since linking to a newer library version didn't do the job, I decided
    > to download the old library from a remote system (which was bad idea).
    >
    > What I realized now is that the kernel version differed. Anyway I
    > downloaded the module with ssh directly into the /usr/lib/ folder.
    >
    > Thereafter my system kind of crashed. X shut itself down. I can still
    > boot the system but executing most commands leads to the following
    > error message:
    >
    > dselect: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: no verrsion information available
    > (required by dselect)
    > dselect: relocation error: dselect: symbol
    > _ZVN10__cxxabiv120__si_class_type_infoE, verson GLIBCPP_3.2 not
    > defined in file libstdc++.co.5 with link time reference
    >
    > FAM a program which watches certain files for changes fails on bootup
    > giving the the same error message:
    >
    > /usr/sbin/famd: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: no verrsion information
    > available (required by dselect)
    > /usr/sbin/famd: relocation error: dselect: symbol
    > _ZVN10__cxxabiv120__si_class_type_infoE, verson GLIBCPP_3.2 not
    > defined in file libstdc++.co.5 with link time reference
    >
    > After these messages I deleted the oldlibrary from the /usr/lib path
    > and touched all the new vesions available.
    >
    > I'm running debian/testing (kernel 2.6.5) so I also ran
    > dpkg-reconfigure on those libraries.
    >
    > But it all did not help. Can somebody please help me? I'm desperate
    > and don't know what I can do to get the system going again...

    Actually I solved this myself. Just for the people who are interested
    in how I solved it.

    I ran ld on the library, which gave me the message "The file is
    truncated". So I figured its simply corrupted.

    Fortunately I have another windows box. So I downloaded the libsdtc++5
    package from the debian site and copied it onto the linux box (samba
    is running).

    Fortunately the command dpkg does not depend on the library and so I
    could simply reinstall it.

    After that everything worked fine...

+ Reply to Thread