[Help] Strange Linux server no response problem, fixed by hitting ENTER at console! - Help

This is a discussion on [Help] Strange Linux server no response problem, fixed by hitting ENTER at console! - Help ; Dear all, Recently one of our servers randomly stop responding, but it does not hang. When the problem happens, all the network services stop responding, but the server is still running. Then many processes are queued up and cause the ...

  1. [Help] Strange Linux server no response problem, fixed by hitting ENTER at console!

    Dear all,

    Recently one of our servers randomly stop responding, but it does not hang.

    When the problem happens, all the network services stop responding, but
    the server is still running. Then many processes are queued up and cause the
    avg no. of process running sky to over 100 in 10min! If I was connecting an
    ssh to the server, it just stop response but the connection is still there.
    ping also has response.

    The most strange thing is, when I press an ENTER key at the console, the
    problem solved instantly and everything back to normal. Even my ssh connection
    will have response again.

    Our server's config:

    Hardware: Dual P3-700Mhz, 640M RAM, 2 x 10G IDE HDD running Software RAID-1
    OS: RedHat Linux 8.0
    kernel: kernel-2.4.18-14smp

    Special config:
    - freeswan-1.99_x509_0.9.15_2.4.18_14 installed

    Do you know what happens and kindly give me any suggestions? Thanks!

    Best Regards,
    Charles

  2. Re: [Help] Strange Linux server no response problem, fixed by hitting ENTER at console!

    "Charles" wrote
    > The most strange thing is, when I press an ENTER key at the console, the
    > problem solved instantly and everything back to normal.

    Hmm.
    I think we need a bit more info
    - are you running in text mode (init 3) or a graphical desktop (init
    5)?
    - when you say the console, do you mean that - or do you mean at any
    prompt, or at any time with the X display running?
    - WHat prompts/messages appear on your console before you press
    'enter'?
    - what does tail -100 /var/log/messages tell us?

  3. Re: [Help] Strange Linux server no response problem, fixed by hitting ENTER at console!

    Hi Robert,

    It is a text mode installation with no X-Window, the console I hitting ENTER is the mingetty login prompt with no user login.

    It reported different things in 2 different incidents:
    1) init: Sending process the TERM signal
    2) net: run message suppressed

    I cannot find any errors in /var/log/messages, but I found some strange error message in /var/log/kern.log:
    Jul 23 10:08:27 server kernel: sending pkt_too_big (len[1500] pmtu[1443]) to self
    Jul 23 10:09:51 server kernel: sending pkt_too_big (len[1500] pmtu[1443]) to self
    Jul 23 10:14:16 server kernel: sending pkt_too_big (len[1500] pmtu[1443]) to self
    Jul 23 10:15:00 server kernel: Dead loop on netdevice ipsec0, fix it urgently!
    Jul 23 10:15:00 server kernel: Dead loop on netdevice ipsec0, fix it urgently!
    Jul 23 10:15:33 server kernel: sending pkt_too_big (len[1500] pmtu[1443]) to self
    Jul 23 10:20:12 server kernel: sending pkt_too_big (len[1500] pmtu[1443]) to self

    I did some searches from the net but cannot find any clues related to our server's problem:

    Best Regards,
    Charles

    "Robert E A Harvey" wrote in message news:5acbdcbf.0407211540.78d9a20e@posting.google.c om...
    > "Charles" wrote
    > > The most strange thing is, when I press an ENTER key at the console, the
    > > problem solved instantly and everything back to normal.

    > Hmm.
    > I think we need a bit more info
    > - are you running in text mode (init 3) or a graphical desktop (init
    > 5)?
    > - when you say the console, do you mean that - or do you mean at any
    > prompt, or at any time with the X display running?
    > - WHat prompts/messages appear on your console before you press
    > 'enter'?
    > - what does tail -100 /var/log/messages tell us?

+ Reply to Thread