Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows - Help

This is a discussion on Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows - Help ; Hello, All: Could you please give me your advise on what Windows Manager is best to use on Linux. How does Linspire-Lindows fare against KDE, XWindows, GNOME? Perhaps, you could recommend links to good sites which discuss various Linux Windows ...

  1. Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows

    Hello, All:

    Could you please give me your advise on what Windows Manager is best to use
    on Linux.
    How does Linspire-Lindows fare against KDE, XWindows, GNOME?
    Perhaps, you could recommend links to good sites which discuss various Linux
    Windows Managers?

    Thank you.
    Pavel.

  2. Re: Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows

    cj wrote:
    > Hello, All:
    >
    > Could you please give me your advise on what Windows Manager is best to use
    > on Linux.
    > How does Linspire-Lindows fare against KDE, XWindows, GNOME?
    > Perhaps, you could recommend links to good sites which discuss various Linux
    > Windows Managers?
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Pavel.

    I believe Linspire-Lindows use KDE and GNOME as window managers. Isn't
    Lindows a linux distribution. X-Windows is just a name for the xfree86,
    or hardware graphical support for linux, it is not a windows manager.
    Xfree86 purpose is to allow window managers and windows to be displayed.

    Assuming you didn't know this your probably a linux newbie and better
    off with KDE or GNOME, they both are roughly alike. However, one of my
    favorite, and probably the best window manager to use would be blackbox,
    its very simple to configure, can run on less than 12MBs or RAM, very
    efficient with CPU usage and memory and looks good. You will need to
    know how to use the command line (bash shell) and edit configuration
    files to use blackbox.

    My advice is to learn linux like I did, don't use a window manager.
    Learn how to use bash, and how to operate linux from the command line
    before starting with a GUI.

    There really is no *best* window manager or use on linux. Each window
    manager is unique in its own way.

    If you just want a link to window managers for linux, then google it
    yourself, its not that difficult.

    Also some of the better window managers out that than I havn't mention are:
    IceWM
    FVWM
    Xfce
    Openbox

    I hope this helps

    - Richard

  3. Re: Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows

    cj wrote:

    > Hello, All:
    >
    > Could you please give me your advise on what Windows Manager is best to
    > use on Linux.
    > How does Linspire-Lindows fare against KDE, XWindows, GNOME?
    > Perhaps, you could recommend links to good sites which discuss various
    > Linux Windows Managers?
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Pavel.

    You can download some of the LiveCD distros like
    knoppix (www.knoppix.com), Gnoppix, Morphix, Damn Small Linux
    to get a feel for different window managers without
    having to install the software on your machine.
    It boots and runs directly from CDROM.
    knoppix has several windows managers
    which you can specify by looking at the options
    before fully booting the CD.

    XWindows is not a window manager.
    Its more of an insulation layer
    from hardware on which windows managers like KDE and
    GNOME run on top of.
    XWindows is actually a protocol which means you can
    run the server version on a PC and log in
    remotely and do things as if you were sitting
    at the PC.

    Lindows is one variant of GNU/Linux.
    You have to pay a subscription to activate it.
    Most distros don't need that.
    http://www.distrowatch.com/

  4. Re: Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows

    In alt.linux, cj uttered these immortal words:

    > Could you please give me your advise on what Windows Manager is best to
    > use on Linux.
    > How does Linspire-Lindows fare against KDE, XWindows, GNOME?
    > Perhaps, you could recommend links to good sites which discuss various
    > Linux Windows Managers?

    Lindows/Linspire is a distro, not a window manager.

    KDE and Gnome aren't window managers, they're desktop environments. They use
    a window manager but provide much more.

    X Windows isn't called X Windows, it's called the X Windows System, and it
    isn't a window manager or desktop environment. It's essentially the
    foundation on which window managers sit. There's a lot more too it than
    that but you can read up on it when you need to know.

    I'd look at KDE first. It's quite newbie friendly and popular. Try all the
    desktop environments and window managers though and choose the one *you*
    like best. It's your choice to make after all. :-)

    --
    Andy.

  5. Re: Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows

    cj wrote:

    > How does Linspire-Lindows fare against KDE, XWindows, GNOME?

    ..... Linspire is a distro, those other things you're comparing
    to are desktops. xwin is the underlying graphical system and
    kde and gnome ride on top if it

    i believe that linspire uses a modified version of kde

    http://www.plig.org/xwinman/
    ..
    Your files are now being encrypted and thrown
    into the bit bucket. EOF

  6. Re: Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows

    I'm using Fedora Core 2, but it has a short Life Expectancy, with
    Gnome as the Desktop - but hey, it's free and it helps me learn/test
    things before I apply them to our AIX boxes.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
    "cj" wrote in message
    > Hello, All:
    >
    > Could you please give me your advise on what Windows Manager is best

    to use
    > on Linux.
    > How does Linspire-Lindows fare against KDE, XWindows, GNOME?
    > Perhaps, you could recommend links to good sites which discuss

    various Linux
    > Windows Managers?
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Pavel.

  7. Re: Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows

    cj wrote:
    > Hello, All:
    >
    > Could you please give me your advise on what Windows Manager is best to use
    > on Linux.
    > How does Linspire-Lindows fare against KDE, XWindows, GNOME?
    > Perhaps, you could recommend links to good sites which discuss various Linux
    > Windows Managers?

    I have Lindows/Linspire installed on 5 machines here. It uses KDE
    by default but can be set (I think) to GNOME.

    If you go with Lindows/Linspire and have further questions, post to
    alt.os.linux as I read it regularly.

    technomaNge

  8. Re: Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:58:42 -0400, cj wrote:

    > Could you please give me your advise on what Windows Manager is best to
    > use on Linux.

    Fluxbox is the best window manager to use:

    http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/

    Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.

    Really!

    :-)

    This is a good round-up of Window Managers and Desktop Environments
    available:

    http://www.plig.org/xwinman/intro.html

    There are a lot to choose from.

    --
    Michael M. ~~ hfrargspam@msbx.net ~~ New York, NY USA
    "No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely

  9. Re: Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:58:42 -0400, cj wrote:

    > Hello, All:
    >
    > Could you please give me your advise on what Windows Manager is best to use
    > on Linux.
    > How does Linspire-Lindows fare against KDE, XWindows, GNOME?
    > Perhaps, you could recommend links to good sites which discuss various Linux
    > Windows Managers?
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Pavel.

    I like GNOME, because it's clean, but there both pretty good. Just a note,
    but I've never used Lindows before, but I heard it runs in root mode all
    the time. If this is true the I would also tell you to not use Lindows.
    For Lindows to run that way is very very (I can not stress how bad) bad.

  10. Re: Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows

    --------------------------
    > but I've never used Lindows before, but I heard it runs in root mode all
    > the time. If this is true the I would also tell you to not use Lindows.
    > For Lindows to run that way is very very (I can not stress how bad) bad.

    FWIW, Lindows originally was supposed to be "Linux for Windows Idiots".
    Vanilla Lindows installation is exactly like vanilla XP installation,
    except no activation required. Both install as admin/root and stay
    that way until you create a lesser priviledge user. Both offer a chance
    to create a user during install.

    Biggest differences seen by typical user:

    1. XP has three users levels (admin, power user, user/guest). Not
    configurable for priviledges to files, programs, etc.
    2. Lindows, being Linux, is fully configurable.
    3. Lindows, being Linux, is more stable, less prone to trojans, way
    less prone to viruses.

    I have Lindows/Linspire on 5 boxen at home. Work has everything from
    IBM DOS to Win98 to XP to Novell servers to Win2k servers.

    Ask here is you need further explainations.

    technomaNge

  11. Re: Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows

    In article ,
    technomaNge writes:

    > Justin Stanczak wrote:
    >
    >> but I've never used Lindows before, but I heard it runs in root mode all
    >> the time.

    > FWIW, Lindows originally was supposed to be "Linux for Windows Idiots".
    > Vanilla Lindows installation is exactly like vanilla XP installation,
    > except no activation required. Both install as admin/root and stay
    > that way until you create a lesser priviledge user. Both offer a chance
    > to create a user during install.

    Are you sure that Lindows gives an option to create an ordinary user on
    installation? I tried installing it a few months ago just to check it out,
    and I saw no such option when I installed it, and I saw no way to create
    ordinary users once it was installed. Perhaps the option's buried
    somewhere that I missed, or perhaps they've changed things, but my brief
    experience with the distribution was that use of root for everything was
    mandatory, at least short of digging in with text-mode tools, changing the
    XDMCP server, etc., to work around the GUI limitations.

    --
    Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com

  12. Re: Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows

    Rod Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > technomaNge writes:
    >
    > Are you sure that Lindows gives an option to create an ordinary user on
    > installation? I tried installing it a few months ago just to check it out,
    > and I saw no such option when I installed it, and I saw no way to create
    > ordinary users once it was installed. Perhaps the option's buried
    > somewhere that I missed, or perhaps they've changed things, but my brief
    > experience with the distribution was that use of root for everything was
    > mandatory, at least short of digging in with text-mode tools, changing the
    > XDMCP server, etc., to work around the GUI limitations.

    Well, I'm not gonna do a re-install just to find which step it is(grin).

    But on this machine I click the green L (start button?), select
    Settings, select User Manager, give it the root password, select User,
    select Add.

    To see if it took, select the green L, select Logoff/Quick Restart, when
    it gets to the login screen select new user, enter password (if used),
    click OK.

    'Course then you gotta reinstall all yer programs unless you know how
    to give new user rights to use the other users programs.

    I like it.

    technomaNge

  13. Re: Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows

    In article ,
    technomaNge writes:

    > Rod Smith wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> technomaNge writes:
    > >
    >> Are you sure that Lindows gives an option to create an ordinary user on
    >> installation? I tried installing it a few months ago just to check it out,
    >> and I saw no such option when I installed it, and I saw no way to create
    >> ordinary users once it was installed.

    > Well, I'm not gonna do a re-install just to find which step it is(grin).
    >
    > But on this machine I click the green L (start button?), select
    > Settings, select User Manager, give it the root password, select User,
    > select Add.
    >
    > To see if it took, select the green L, select Logoff/Quick Restart, when
    > it gets to the login screen select new user, enter password (if used),
    > click OK.

    Interesting. I looked for such options but didn't find them when I tried
    Lindows. I don't know whether I just missed them or if they really weren't
    there; perhaps this is a version difference. I installed the 4.5
    developer's edition. What's yours?

    In any event, if this capability is in current versions of
    Lindows/Linspire, I'll moderate my criticism of it. Still, the fact that
    the default is to do everything as root is, IMHO, unforgivable -- just not
    quite AS unforgivable as delivering a Linux system with no option to
    create user accounts.

    > 'Course then you gotta reinstall all yer programs unless you know how
    > to give new user rights to use the other users programs.

    Are you saying the programs themselves can only be run by root???? If so,
    that's hideous.

    --
    Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com

  14. Re: Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows

    Rod Smith wrote:

    (replies inline)

    > Interesting. I installed the 4.5
    > developer's edition. What's yours?

    Version 4.5, but I don't think it was the developer version as I don't
    do development. I'm just a user.

    > In any event, if this capability is in current versions of
    > Lindows/Linspire, I'll moderate my criticism of it. Still, the fact that
    > the default is to do everything as root is, IMHO, unforgivable -- just not
    > quite AS unforgivable as delivering a Linux system with no option to
    > create user accounts.

    You didn't understand. This version was designed to be as much like
    Windows as possible and so root is in control unless you create a user.
    Just like XP. This means a Windows_idiot can install it and use it
    without having to learn all that hard linux stuff.

    Users with a clue will learn enough to know they must create a user with
    less priviledges and use that for everything except admin.

    Users without a clue will think they are using Windows, and will be as
    vulnerable as root always is.

    > Are you saying the programs themselves can only be run by root???? If so,
    > that's hideous.

    No, I'm saying that if you jump the gun and install something as root
    instead of user then only root can run that something. Ask me how I
    know (BIG grin).

    Since I've forgotten your earlier posts, what Linux are you using?
    How do you like knews? I always had trouble getting it to look and
    feel like I wanted. Now I just use Mozilla for mail/news.

    technomaNge

  15. Re: Windows Managers/Linspire-Lindows

    In article ,
    technomaNge writes:

    > Rod Smith wrote:
    >
    > > Interesting. I installed the 4.5
    >> developer's edition. What's yours?

    > Version 4.5, but I don't think it was the developer version as I don't
    > do development. I'm just a user.

    Neither am I; I just ran across a promotion for this version which worked
    out to be free, so I decided I might as well check it out.

    >> In any event, if this capability is in current versions of
    >> Lindows/Linspire, I'll moderate my criticism of it. Still, the fact that
    >> the default is to do everything as root is, IMHO, unforgivable -- just not
    >> quite AS unforgivable as delivering a Linux system with no option to
    >> create user accounts.

    > You didn't understand. This version was designed to be as much like
    > Windows as possible and so root is in control unless you create a user.
    > Just like XP. This means a Windows_idiot can install it and use it
    > without having to learn all that hard linux stuff.

    I *DO* understand; I just think that making Linux work like Windows in
    this respect is an unforgivable mistake. Linux was designed from the
    ground up as a multi-user OS, and many of Linux's security features rely
    on user accounts. Trying to make Linux act like a single-user OS by
    giving a single root login by default may make it seem more friendly at
    first, but it opens up a whole world of potential security problems. This
    is bad enough on a few isolated systems, but if by some chance
    Lindows/Linspire (or any other distribution built in the same way) became
    popular, it'd be a disaster, because it would make it far easier for
    virus writers, crackers, etc., to take over systems.

    > Users with a clue will learn enough to know they must create a user with
    > less priviledges and use that for everything except admin.
    >
    > Users without a clue will think they are using Windows, and will be as
    > vulnerable as root always is.

    I sincerely hope that users with enough of a clue to know they'd need to
    take the non-obvious steps needed to create user accounts will not, by
    and large, want to use something with such a huge security problem in its
    design. This design flaw drives my level of trust in the design down to
    0.

    As to others, you're quite right; the system is vulnerable. Hence, when
    discussing it, I can't recommend that those with less experience use it;
    at least with Fedora, SuSE, Xandros, etc., users are prompted to create
    user accounts at the start. It's a bit more of a shift for them, but not
    much, and it's a lot safer.

    >> Are you saying the programs themselves can only be run by root???? If so,
    >> that's hideous.

    > No, I'm saying that if you jump the gun and install something as root
    > instead of user then only root can run that something. Ask me how I
    > know (BIG grin).

    In other words, the programs themselves can only be run by root, at least
    if they're installed by root. I repeat: That's hideous.

    > Since I've forgotten your earlier posts, what Linux are you using?

    A variety. Currently I've got Gentoo as my primary desktop, with a SuSE
    server. I've also got systems with Debian, Mandrake, Fedora, Slackware,
    and Xandros installed. (I write about Linux for a living, so having a
    wide variety available is very helpful to me.)

    > How do you like knews? I always had trouble getting it to look and
    > feel like I wanted. Now I just use Mozilla for mail/news.

    I like knews because it does the best job of handling threads I've seen,
    and because it doesn't clutter its window too much (the article list
    replaces the newsgroup list, which minimizes clutter). Others all strike
    me as being awkward in these respects, although they've got more and
    better features in some other ways.