Password retrieval - Help

This is a discussion on Password retrieval - Help ; hi all, I'm a newbie in linux, plannin to learn it.I hv installed linux long back,infact 1 yr ago. it is asking for a user name and password, which im not able to remember. Is there any way to retrieve ...

  1. Password retrieval

    hi all,
    I'm a newbie in linux, plannin to learn it.I hv installed
    linux long back,infact 1 yr ago. it is asking for a user name and
    password, which im not able to remember. Is there any way to retrieve
    my username and pwd?? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

    Regards
    Pridu.

  2. Re: Password retrieval

    Pridu wrote:

    > hi all,
    > I'm a newbie in linux, plannin to learn it.I hv installed
    > linux long back,infact 1 yr ago. it is asking for a user name and
    > password, which im not able to remember. Is there any way to retrieve
    > my username and pwd?? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards
    > Pridu.

    Hi Pidru,

    Retieve? No. Not that I know of. It is stored encrypted (md5?? not sure)

    But reset the password? yes!

    Try to boot in 'single user mode'

    Google for it.
    You are probably number 1.000.000 who asks this. :-)
    So I am sure you can find a how-to for that.

    Good luck!

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

  3. Re: Password retrieval

    Looking for a date/hookup/sex partner?
    http://accfq2.linksysnet.com:999/match/index2.htm

    ^^ Free dating services & Swingers Pages! ^^
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Need a Loan or a Credit Card? Our loan pages are the best
    http://accfq2.linksysnet.com:999/loan/index.htm

    100% Guaranteed Credit Cards and Loans, EVEN IF YOU HAVE BAD CREDIT!
    Also, Signature Cash advances, and debt consolidation! Check us out today.

    "Pridu" wrote in message
    news:7c540608.0407160503.7defbd71@posting.google.c om...
    > hi all,
    > I'm a newbie in linux, plannin to learn it.I hv installed
    > linux long back,infact 1 yr ago. it is asking for a user name and
    > password, which im not able to remember. Is there any way to retrieve
    > my username and pwd?? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards
    > Pridu.

  4. Re: Password retrieval

    Pridu wrote:
    > hi all,
    > I'm a newbie in linux, plannin to learn it.I hv installed
    > linux long back,infact 1 yr ago. it is asking for a user name and
    > password, which im not able to remember. Is there any way to retrieve
    > my username and pwd?? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards
    > Pridu.

    Boot from a CD, slackware Live or the installation CD. Press like ALT
    F2 or whatever to get to a console. Then in /etc/shadow for root,
    delete the encrypted password. Then you should be able to login without
    a password.

+ Reply to Thread