xwindows help - Help

This is a discussion on xwindows help - Help ; I just started learning Linux and i tried to setup xwindows i think its called. I get this error: Fatal server error: no screens found I told the right horizontal refresh rate and the vertical and the resolutions from the ...

  1. xwindows help

    I just started learning Linux and i tried to setup xwindows i think its
    called. I get this error:

    Fatal server error:
    no screens found

    I told the right horizontal refresh rate and the vertical and the
    resolutions from the xf86config, and even tried re-doing everything the
    command:

    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

    I ask's to specify the video card, and mine wasn't there. I got a ATI Radeon
    9800Pro.
    i thought before i saw a place where i can setup the RAMDAC and everything
    in case my card wasn't there, but now i dont see where that was. I think the
    file to show the output of the xstart was:

    /var/log/XFree86.0.log

    Im dual booting and i dont know how to get the message from linux to
    windows, and i dont got a printer hooked to this computer, my bro has a usb
    PSC hp 1210. But i thought linux didn't support USB, guess im wrong. If
    there is a way for me to do it let me know. i think i got:
    Debian 2.4 i think, whats the command to find the version number?
    amd 2500+
    Abit NF7-S
    ati 9800 pro
    WD 60GB pata

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: xwindows help

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 05:09:18 +0000, DanB wrote:

    > I just started learning Linux and i tried to setup xwindows i think its

    Yes, just call it XFree or Xorg. You have XFree on Debian.

    > called. I get this error:
    >
    > Fatal server error:
    > no screens found
    >
    > I told the right horizontal refresh rate and the vertical and the
    > resolutions from the xf86config, and even tried re-doing everything the
    > command:
    >
    > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
    >
    > I ask's to specify the video card, and mine wasn't there. I got a ATI Radeon
    > 9800Pro.

    The ATI in Linux sucks, I think. I have a 9700 Radeon and I use Fedora. It
    has the newer 2.6.7 kernel. I'm sure Debian will be there soon if not
    already. I so far like X.org better, that's whats on Fedora Core 2. If you
    use Fedora go here for info http://www.fedorafaq.org/#radeon. Other wise
    use the Vesa driver. I guess ATI is working on a X.org driver so I'm
    waiting.

    > i thought before i saw a place where i can setup the RAMDAC and everything
    > in case my card wasn't there, but now i dont see where that was. I think the
    > file to show the output of the xstart was:
    >
    > /var/log/XFree86.0.log

    I read some where you can use something like Knoppix to boot and then copy
    the XFree config from it. Just copy it to your /etc/X11 dir.

    > Im dual booting and i dont know how to get the message from linux to
    > windows, and i dont got a printer hooked to this computer, my bro has a usb
    > PSC hp 1210. But i thought linux didn't support USB, guess im wrong. If
    > there is a way for me to do it let me know. i think i got:
    > Debian 2.4 i think, whats the command to find the version number?

    uname -r

    > amd 2500+
    > Abit NF7-S
    > ati 9800 pro
    > WD 60GB pata
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

  3. Re: xwindows help

    "DanB" wrote in

    > I just started learning Linux and i tried to setup xwindows i think its
    > called. I get this error:
    >
    > Fatal server error:
    > no screens found

    ATI has good video drivers for linux. Go to www.ati.com and then download the
    linux drivers and install them. I get this error too with my nvidia card when
    I update the kernel and forget to reinstall the video drivers for it. You
    have to install the 3D video drivers for your card and when you update the
    kernel, reinstall them as they are kernel version dependant. It is not a big
    deal and is a quick and painless process.

    --
    My email address is invalid, thanks to
    all of these rotten spambots.

+ Reply to Thread