context switch? - Help

This is a discussion on context switch? - Help ; Hi all: I have a following question can anyone please help me. When CPU context switches between processes, the system must save the state of the old process and load the saved state for the new process. (1)So, during context ...

  1. context switch?

    Hi all:
    I have a following question can anyone please help me.

    When CPU context switches between processes, the system must save
    the state of the old process and load the saved state for the new
    process.

    (1)So, during context switch, which contexts of the process must be
    saved?

    The operating system maintains a data structure known as a process
    control block. In Linux this is a struct task_struct.

    (2)What method could I use if I am trying to copy a task_struct of the
    process?

    Would anyone point me to any helpful hint ?
    Thanks in advance
    Terence

  2. Re: context switch?

    terence@ms71.url.com.tw wrote:

    > Would anyone point me to any helpful hint ?

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxkernel2/
    ..
    .... at least I thought I was dancing, 'til somebody stepped on my hand.
    -- J. B. White

+ Reply to Thread