Linux Folk seem unfriendly! - Help

This is a discussion on Linux Folk seem unfriendly! - Help ; Why is it that every question I post goes un-answered? It is realy starting to piss me off! I'm having a problem with sound now, and I've posted in at least 6 different news groups and forums, and get absolutely ...

  1. Linux Folk seem unfriendly!

    Why is it that every question I post goes un-answered? It is realy
    starting to piss me off!

    I'm having a problem with sound now, and I've posted in at least 6
    different news groups and forums, and get absolutely nothing!

    And now I find this old message, that I got tired of checking up and, and
    find that weeks later, still no answer!

    I don't mean to generalize but some people are a bunch of pricks out
    there! I recall when I was a Windows guru, I would never leave posts
    unanswered if I had a solution to another person's problem. It may be only
    be Windows; and thus the problems are uncomplicated and dumb, but I
    understand what it is like to feel frustrated and helpless. Most of you
    seem to have forgotten that.

  2. Re: Linux Folk seem unfriendly!

    Timothy A.V. Teatro wrote:

    > Why is it that every question I post goes un-answered? It is realy
    > starting to piss me off!
    >
    > I'm having a problem with sound now, and I've posted in at least 6
    > different news groups and forums, and get absolutely nothing!
    >
    > And now I find this old message, that I got tired of checking up and, and
    > find that weeks later, still no answer!
    >
    > I don't mean to generalize but some people are a bunch of pricks out
    > there! I recall when I was a Windows guru, I would never leave posts
    > unanswered if I had a solution to another person's problem. It may be only
    > be Windows; and thus the problems are uncomplicated and dumb, but I
    > understand what it is like to feel frustrated and helpless. Most of you
    > seem to have forgotten that.

    Timothy,

    maybe no one knows the answer to your question? If you look around you will
    see plenty of replys to questions on comp.os.linux.ETC....

    please tell us your question again.... What linux OS, and what sound card
    do you have, and what is it not doing?

    Gary

  3. Re: Linux Folk seem unfriendly!

    Looking for a date/hookup/sex partner?
    http://accfq2.linksysnet.com:999/match/index2.htm

    ^^ Free dating services & Swingers Pages! ^^
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Need a Loan or a Credit Card? Our loan pages are the best
    http://accfq2.linksysnet.com:999/loan/index.htm

    100% Guaranteed Credit Cards and Loans, EVEN IF YOU HAVE BAD CREDIT!
    Also, Signature Cash advances, and debt consolidation! Check us out today.

    Looking for adult Videos? DVDs? VHS? Toys? Look no further.
    http://shop.sex-superstore.com/cgi-s...ex.cgi?af=5971
    Guaranteed BEST price anywhere.. $9.99 XXX DVD Section! Free dildo with
    any order over $50! Check us out today!

    "Timothy A.V. Teatro" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.07.13.13.05.57.487780@rogers.com...
    > Why is it that every question I post goes un-answered? It is realy
    > starting to piss me off!
    >
    > I'm having a problem with sound now, and I've posted in at least 6
    > different news groups and forums, and get absolutely nothing!
    >
    > And now I find this old message, that I got tired of checking up and, and
    > find that weeks later, still no answer!
    >
    > I don't mean to generalize but some people are a bunch of pricks out
    > there! I recall when I was a Windows guru, I would never leave posts
    > unanswered if I had a solution to another person's problem. It may be only
    > be Windows; and thus the problems are uncomplicated and dumb, but I
    > understand what it is like to feel frustrated and helpless. Most of you
    > seem to have forgotten that.

  4. Re: Linux Folk seem unfriendly!

  5. Re: Linux Folk seem unfriendly!

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:05:07 GMT, "Timothy A.V. Teatro"
    wrote:

    >I don't mean to generalize but some people are a bunch of pricks out
    >there! I recall when I was a Windows guru, I would never leave posts
    >unanswered if I had a solution to another person's problem. It may be only
    >be Windows; and thus the problems are uncomplicated and dumb, but I
    >understand what it is like to feel frustrated and helpless. Most of you
    >seem to have forgotten that.

    Has it ever occured to you that maybe, just maybe, NOBODY HAS AN
    ANSWER FOR YOU?

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  6. Re: Linux Folk seem unfriendly!

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:16:51 -0700, Keith Keller
    wrote:

    >So I'm now an asshole because I don't know how to fix your problem?
    >Or because I didn't take my copious free time to tell you I don't
    >know how to fix your problem?

    Maybe he thinks we're ignoring him because we don't answer. I doubt,
    however, if he'd be happier with dozens of responses, all of which
    boil down to "I don't know."

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  7. Re: Linux Folk seem unfriendly!

    On 2004-07-13, Joe Zeff wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:16:51 -0700, Keith Keller
    > wrote:
    >
    >>So I'm now an asshole because I don't know how to fix your problem?
    >>Or because I didn't take my copious free time to tell you I don't
    >>know how to fix your problem?

    > Maybe he thinks we're ignoring him because we don't answer. I doubt,
    > however, if he'd be happier with dozens of responses, all of which
    > boil down to "I don't know."

    Frankly, my response to him then is, "I don't know". I don't run
    X-windows on any of my debian machines and I have never needed sounds to
    run any of my services so I really don't have the answer for him. I
    assume if it was something I inteneded to do in the near future I might
    go ahead and research his question for him and come up with an answer,
    but in this case I have no interest in adding sounds or pretty windows
    to my beautiful console :-)

    --
    "2 + 2 = 5, for extremely large values of 2."

  8. Re: Linux Folk seem unfriendly!

    "Joe Zeff" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:05:07 GMT, "Timothy A.V. Teatro"
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I don't mean to generalize but some people are a bunch of pricks out
    > >there! I recall when I was a Windows guru, I would never leave posts
    > >unanswered if I had a solution to another person's problem. It may be

    only
    > >be Windows; and thus the problems are uncomplicated and dumb, but I
    > >understand what it is like to feel frustrated and helpless. Most of you
    > >seem to have forgotten that.

    > Has it ever occured to you that maybe, just maybe, NOBODY HAS AN
    > ANSWER FOR YOU?
    >
    > --
    > Joe Zeff
    > The Guy With the Sideburns
    > So many twits - so little time...
    > http://www.lasfs.org http://home.earthlink.net/~sidebrnz

    Hi Tim,

    I apologize if it seems to you that Linux people are being unfriendly. I
    have been a Linux people since 1992 and I am not unfriendly at all. However
    I am extremely busy -- harried might be a bit better word to use -- Most of
    the very experienced users who read and sometimes post here and the other
    groups are also busy people. They are mostly self-directed linear thinkers
    too, for what that's worth. So, the appearance of a question which COULD
    have been answered by the questioner himself by reading a FAQ or Google or
    the Usenet archives tend to be skipped over by most of us. Sometimes
    someone will be exasperated by the nth time the question is asked "why can't
    I play MP3's with xmms" that someone will let loose with a stream of
    invective, sarcasm and/or snidity. Please recognize that most people who
    are truly embedded in Linux are people who do things, and do not sit around
    and wait for an answer to come to them. I ask questions a lot here in the
    various forums but only after doing an extensive search of available
    knowledge.

    Of course, some posters are simply assholes, and display their variety of
    mental problems in their posts; you can spot the nuttos easily and ignore
    them after chuckling at their drivel.

    Please also understand that continuous use of Windows does tend to dumb down
    otherwise intelligence users. It is a temporary dulling of the senses, and
    as soon as you start tinkering with Linux, realizing that there is no way to
    "break it", the Windows fog will come away fro your brain.

    YMMV, HTH, M2CW, WYSIWUG, TANSTAAFL, LSMFT

    Dave

  9. Re: Linux Folk seem unfriendly!

    Christopher Fluhrer wrote:

    "2 + 2 = 5, for extremely large values of 2."

    LOL!
    My response is totally unrelated to OP's question, but I had to let you know
    you made my day with that note. :-)
    Thanks for the laugh, Christopher!

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

  10. Re: Linux Folk seem unfriendly!

    Timothy A.V. Teatro wrote:

    Hi Tim,

    A friendly word from another guy that started on Linux, coming from W$.
    (Actually coming from Apple2/Oric/Amiga)

    Every mortal user, like you and me, need help with Linux once in a while.

    My experience with newsgroups was very good, mostly using
    java/php/postgresql related newsgroups.
    I also had your somewhat negative experience in the beginning with
    linux-newsgroups.
    I wasn't called nOOb, but I was hoping for better responses.

    Some nice guy then pointed out to me I have to consider the following:

    1) Always give a good subject to your question.
    2) Give a clear overview of your system/software. Of course: try to keep it
    short, but also TRY TO SHOW you know what you are doing.
    3) don't post to 10 newsgroups.
    (If I see somebody posting to many newsgroups, i don't even bother to look)
    4) Show the reader of your posting what you tried, which articles that might
    be relevant did you read? Which webpages did you read? etc. etc.
    This gives the person a reason to help you because you tried.
    Never forget that the better the reader is at some subject, the more busy
    that person is. (Law of Erwin)
    5) If you booked small successes, also describe them. This gives the reader
    an impression of your level or how far you isolated the 'problem'.
    6) Be polite.

    I am not sure that was the excact advise, but roughly.

    I found out that I get better help when I follow these guidelines.
    I am NOT saying you didn't do that, because I didn't read your postings. I
    didn't read them because I suck at soundcards under linux, not because I
    don't want to help you!

    And last, of course as many wrote already: Maybe nobody knows how to fix
    your problem.
    Maybe there isn't a good driver for Linux for your soundcard.
    Maybe you hit some exotic problem, only occuring under your specific
    hardwareconfiguration.
    Could be anything.

    But please don't say Linuxguys are unfriendly: That community of hackers
    wrote that OS in the first place for you to enjoy (for free. and open
    source).
    THAT is friendly in my book. :-)

    So, if you don't like it.... drop it, but don't say they are unfriendly.

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

  11. Re: Linux Folk seem unfriendly!

    Erwin Moller wrote:

    > Some nice guy then pointed out to me I have to consider the following:

    .... probably this ...

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    ..
    Q: Why did the tachyon cross the road?
    A: Because it was on the other side.

  12. Re: Linux Folk seem unfriendly!

    Timothy A.V. Teatro wrote:

    > I don't mean to generalize but some people are a bunch of pricks out
    > there!

    .... that's a quick way to get plonked

    most times when you dont get an answer, it's either
    that you phrased the post incorrectly or quite simply
    that no one has an answer.

    BTW, i did a groups.google search for your email and
    using "sound" in the search and only two threads are
    returned; this thread being one of them.

    Groups Results 1 - 2 of 2 for sound,
    author:tim_teatro@rogers.com. (0.43 seconds)

    >http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...ng=d&lr=&hl=en

    ..
    Don't I know you?

  13. Re: Linux Folk seem unfriendly!

    mjt wrote:

    > Erwin Moller wrote:
    >
    >> Some nice guy then pointed out to me I have to consider the following:

    > ... probably this ...
    >

    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    > .

    Yes mjt, that was the one!
    I was looking for that URL, glad you posted it.

    Regards,
    Erwin

+ Reply to Thread