SuSE Linux / Win2k partition problems - Help

This is a discussion on SuSE Linux / Win2k partition problems - Help ; I posted an article here a few weeks ago and got one reply, but I was apparently too slow to get a complete answer, so I'm trying again. Here's what I posted: Like many others, apparently, I'm having the problem ...

  1. SuSE Linux / Win2k partition problems

    I posted an article here a few weeks ago and got one reply, but I was
    apparently too slow to get a complete answer, so I'm trying again.

    Here's what I posted:

    Like many others, apparently, I'm having the problem with SuSE 9.1 where
    I can't boot my Windows partition after the install. However, I tried
    the fix listed at:

    http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/0...booting91.html

    and that didn't work.

    Before it finishes booting, it reads quite a bit of data off of my
    update floppy. After it finishes booting it tells me the partition fix
    is loaded correctly.

    When I press the "Back" that's supposed to take me to the repair
    utility, it tells me to make sure the first installation disk is in the
    drive. Since it is, I press OK, at which point it tells me it can't find
    the first installation disk, then tries to start a normal install.

    Anyone have any idea how I can get to the repair utility?

    Thanks,
    Chris Ott

    To that, mjtobler responded:

    ... boot into SUSE, and show the results of:
    [root shell] fdisk -l /dev/hda (or /dev/sda if using scsi, etc)
    [root shell] cat /etc/fstab
    [root shell] cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

    ... the "-l" switch is a lower-case 'L' (and in 'menu.lst')

    My reply is below, but no one followed up. Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Chris Ott

    > [root shell] fdisk -l /dev/hda (or /dev/sda if using scsi, etc)

    linux:~ # fdisk -l /dev/hda

    Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60022480896 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7297 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 1 157 1261071 82 Linux swap
    /dev/hda2 158 6023 47118645 83 Linux
    /dev/hda4 * 6024 7296 10225372+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

    > [root shell] cat /etc/fstab

    (Sorry - doesn't quite fit in 80 columns)

    linux:~ # cat /etc/fstab
    /dev/hda2 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1
    /dev/hda4 /windows/C vfat
    users,gid=users,umask=0002,iocharset=utf8 0 0
    /dev/hda1 swap swap pri=42 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    /dev/dvdram /media/dvdram subfs
    fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=ut f8 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy subfs
    fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0

    > [root shell] cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

    linux:~ # cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sat Jun 5 08:41:33 2004

    color white/blue black/light-gray
    default 0
    timeout 8
    gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/message

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
    title Linux
    kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=0x31a splash=silent
    desktop resume=/dev/hda1 showopts
    initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
    title Windows
    root (hd0,3)
    chainloader +1

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
    title Floppy
    root (fd0)
    chainloader +1

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
    title Failsafe
    kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 showopts ide=nodma apm=off
    acpi=off vga=normal noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 3
    initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd

    Thanks,
    Chris Ott
    cHRIS ott at acclamation dot com
    (Remove the uppercase letters)

  2. Re: SuSE Linux / Win2k partition problems

    Chris Ott wrote:

    > /dev/hda4************6024********7296****10225372+***c* *W95*FAT32*(LBA)

    [snipped]

    > /dev/hda4***/windows/C******vfat******

    [snipped]

    > title Windows
    > ****root*(hd0,3)
    > ****chainloader*+1

    .... all of those entries look correct, so it
    must be something on the winders side and
    the partition table.

    instead of the floppy method of install, have
    you tried the CD install option, at:
    http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/0...booting91.html
    ??????
    ..
    Fry: "Make up some feelings and tell her you have them. Yes?"
    Zoidberg: "Is the desire to mate a feeling?"

+ Reply to Thread