Mandrake 10.0 Help needed - Help

This is a discussion on Mandrake 10.0 Help needed - Help ; I've downloaded all three disk for Mandrake 10.0 and installed them on my old laptop an IBM T20. I get all the way through until I reach the screen that asks if I want to install updateds. No matter how ...

  1. Mandrake 10.0 Help needed

    I've downloaded all three disk for Mandrake 10.0 and installed them on
    my old laptop an IBM T20. I get all the way through until I reach the
    screen that asks if I want to install updateds. No matter how I repond
    the computer locks up. I've tried it conceted and unconected I've said
    yes and no. It always fails. I have no problem running the live CD of
    mandrake, Knoppix ect. any Ideas?

    Thanks in advance
    alan

  2. Re: Mandrake 10.0 Help needed

    Alan H wrote:
    > I've downloaded all three disk for Mandrake 10.0 and installed them on
    > my old laptop an IBM T20. I get all the way through until I reach the
    > screen that asks if I want to install updateds. No matter how I repond
    > the computer locks up. I've tried it conceted and unconected I've said
    > yes and no. It always fails. I have no problem running the live CD of
    > mandrake, Knoppix ect. any Ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > alan

    Just a follow up I'm istalling useing vgahi command since the graphics
    are awful. I have since noticed that I can upgrade without the vgahi
    command and It actually works. However, the screen resolution is awful.
    Can I switch to vgahi after I have installed at the lower res.
    Thanks in advance
    alan

  3. Re: Mandrake 10.0 Help needed

    Alan H wrote:

    > Alan H wrote:
    >> I've downloaded all three disk for Mandrake 10.0 and installed them
    >> on my old laptop an IBM T20. I get all the way through until I reach
    >> the screen that asks if I want to install updateds. No matter how I
    >> repond the computer locks up. I've tried it conceted and unconected
    >> I've said yes and no. It always fails. I have no problem running the
    >> live CD of mandrake, Knoppix ect. any Ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> alan

    > Just a follow up I'm istalling useing vgahi command since the graphics
    > are awful. I have since noticed that I can upgrade without the vgahi
    > command and It actually works. However, the screen resolution is
    > awful. Can I switch to vgahi after I have installed at the lower res.
    > Thanks in advance
    > alan

    As to the freeze-up:
    Try simply rebooting when it happens. At the point where the system is
    asking if you want updates, it is fully installed. You can install
    your updates mirrors and fetch your updates later by using the Mandrake
    Control Center which is in the KDE Menu under this sequence:
    KMenu -> System -> Configuration -> Configure your computer.
    The utilities to update, install and remove packages are under the
    Software Management icon.

    As to the screen resolution and color depth:
    Also use the Mandrake Control Center. Under the Hardware icon, choose
    the Monitor icon to set the refresh rate for your monitor and choose
    the Screen resolution icon to set the resolution and color depth.

    Clive

+ Reply to Thread