telnet has poor security, so...? what's alternative? - Help

This is a discussion on telnet has poor security, so...? what's alternative? - Help ; SSL = secure socket layer, yes? SSL is preferable to telnet, yes? how do I start SSL, please? thanks, javac at mail dot com...

  1. telnet has poor security, so...? what's alternative?

    SSL = secure socket layer, yes?

    SSL is preferable to telnet, yes?

    how do I start SSL, please?

    thanks,

    javac at mail dot com

  2. Re: telnet has poor security, so...? what's alternative?

    Javac,

    j> SSL = secure socket layer, yes? SSL is preferable to telnet,
    j> yes?

    j> how do I start SSL, please?

    What you are after is ssh, providing ssh is installed on your machine,
    and the host you are aiming at is running sshd, then by typing;

    ssh

    and then all you will be asked for is your password.

    If no user name is supplied, then ssh will pass along the username of
    the account you are using on the machine you run ssh from.

    ..and yes, ssh is preferable to telnet

    --
    Keith.
    [Maidstone. Kent (UK)] Debian (sarge)

  3. Re: telnet has poor security, so...? what's alternative?

    if I use telnet, this particular site will display "sun os 5.8", then
    ask me for my login. however, if I use ssh it'll ask for
    "foo@somewhere.com's password" which doesn't really help, becuase my
    unix user-id doesn't match my user id for where i'm trying to login.

    I could change my linux login name to match, but that seems awfully
    clumsy. Additionally, what I then want to ssh somewhere else? I'd
    need lotsa user-names just to satisfy ssh, or whatever. a clumsy
    work-around.

    what's the elegant solution, please?

    thanks,

    javac at mail dot com

  4. Re: telnet has poor security, so...? what's alternative?

    javac wrote:
    >if I use telnet, this particular site will display "sun os 5.8", then
    >ask me for my login. however, if I use ssh it'll ask for
    >"foo@somewhere.com's password" which doesn't really help, becuase my
    >unix user-id doesn't match my user id for where i'm trying to login.
    >
    >I could change my linux login name to match, but that seems awfully
    >clumsy. Additionally, what I then want to ssh somewhere else? I'd
    >need lotsa user-names just to satisfy ssh, or whatever. a clumsy
    >work-around.
    >
    >what's the elegant solution, please?

    $ ssh otheruser@example.net

    You can also create/modify ~/.ssh/config to have it
    automatically provide the correct username.

    Eg,
    Host example.net
    User two

    one@myhost $ ssh example.net
    two@example.net $

    HTH
    --
    Eric Enright /"\
    ericAtiptsoftDcom \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign

  5. Re: telnet has poor security, so...? what's alternative?

    javac wrote:
    > SSL = secure socket layer, yes?
    >
    > SSL is preferable to telnet, yes?
    >
    > how do I start SSL, please?