Hi all:
The following is the ndiswrapper INSTALL file that I am pasting to
relate to what I am having problems with. Please look for my comments in
UPPER CASE which is where I have the rpoblem:

* Quickstart guide *
====================

Prerequisites
-------------
* You need a recent kernel (at least 2.6.0 or 2.4.20) with source.
* Make sure there is a link to the source from the modules directory:
'/lib/modules//build' should be a link to the kernel
source, where is the version of the kernel you are running.
* Some vendors ship ndiswrapper in their distributions. Either use
it or make sure you remove it before installing ndiswrapper by
yourself.

Upgrading
=========

If you are upgrading from version 0.4 or earlier make sure you delete any
old version of loadndisdriver and any configuration in modules.conf and
modprobe.conf since the new commands are not compatible with this release.

Installation
============

1. Compile and install
----------------------
As root run

> make install

This should compile both the kernel module and the userspace utilities.

2. Install your windows driver
------------------------------
Download the Windows XP drivers, unpack it and locate the .inf for your
card.
Run ndiswrapper -i to install the driver

> ndiswrapper -i

This copies all necessary files to /etc/ndiswrapper and creates the config
files for your card.

After installing you can run

> ndiswrapper -l

to see the status of your installed drivers. If you have installed the
correct
driver you should see something like this:

Installed ndis drivers:
bcmwl5 present

Where "present" means that you have a PCI-device present that can be
used with the
driver bcmwl5.

3. Load module
--------------
To load the module type

> modprobe ndiswrapper.

If you get no error the driver should now be loaded and active. You can
verify
this by checking system log (produced by 'dmesg'). If the driver is loaded
successfully, you should see a message:

wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

4. Configure interface
----------------------
Use iwconfig to configure wireless network interface. First, locate
the wireless interface:

> iwconfig

This will print the wireless interface (e.g., wlan0). In
the examples below wlan0 is used; replace wlan0 with the interface
reported by iwconfig above.

Set the operating mode of the interface according to your setup. In
most cases, it is Managed:

> iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed

If you use encryption (WEP), set the key:

> iwconfig wlan0 key restricted XXXXXXXX

You can use 6 hex digits for 40-bit encryption or 10 hex digits for
128-bit encryption. You may need to use 'open' security mode instead
of 'restricted' depending on the setup of your AP (access point).

***UP TO HERE EVERYTHING HAS GONE WELL. WHAT DO THEY MEAN BY NETWORK
***NAME? I AM A STAND ALONE NOTEBOOK. COULD THIS BE THE NAME I GAVE MY
***ROUTER? LIKE linksys? WHAT DOES "AP" STAND FOR?

Set the network name:

> iwconfig wlan0 essid ESSID

Replace ESSID with the network name used by your AP.

Now, setup the network parameters for the interface wlan0. This varies
from distribution to distribution. Refer to your distribution's
documents on how to do this. Once this is done, you can use network
tools to bring up the network; e.g.,

AFTER THE FOLLOWING TWO COMMANDS DO I NEED TO DO ANYTHING ELSE TO GET
ONLINE? JUST OPEN BROWSER AND SURF AWAY???

> ifconfig wlan0 up

5. Automate
Once everything works fine you can write the correct modeprobe settings to
load ndiswrapper automatically by running

> ndiswrapper -m

Thanks for the help.