I am running samba 2.2.7 with a RH9 linux PDC and one other (at least
for now) samba server. I am trying to split the home directories up
amongst the two servers, utilizing a homedir map. What I notice is
that when I login to the domain for the first time with a user id that
is mapped to the non-PDC samba server, a directory is created for the
user at the path specifiec by the Profiles share, but it seems that
nothing is stored there when the user logs out, so that the next time
he/she logs in they get the "unable to find server copy of profile"
message. My smb.conf on the non-PDC server is below, which was just
copied from the PDC with the appropriate PDC parameters commented out
:

# samba configuration file
#
[global]

;basic server settings
workgroup = TAS
netbios name = armstrong
;server string = Samba PDC running %v
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192

;PDC and master browser settings
;os level = 64
;preferred master = yes
;local master = yes
;domain master = yes
;domain logons = yes

;security and logging settings
security = domain
password server = *
encrypt passwords = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
log level = 2
max log size = 50
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

;user profiles and home directory
logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
logon script = logon.bat

;attempt to map home directory to drive H
logon drive = B:
logon home = \\%N\%u

;NIS home directories and map designation
nis homedir = yes
homedir map = amd.home

# ==== shares ====

[homes]