Samba Mapped Drives - Help

This is a discussion on Samba Mapped Drives - Help ; I have a samba PDC running on RH9 kernel 2.6.4 with samba 2.2.7. I already have the smb.conf set up to map the users home directory to the B: drive on the client workstations. I would like to take this ...

  1. Samba Mapped Drives

    I have a samba PDC running on RH9 kernel 2.6.4 with samba 2.2.7. I
    already have the smb.conf set up to map the users home directory to
    the B: drive on the client workstations. I would like to take this
    one step further and use samba to create a shortcut on the client
    desktop to the B: drive, so that when the users (who, by the way are
    middle schoolers) log into the domain, they will be presented with an
    icon on their desktop which is a shortcut to their home directory on
    the samba server. I am hoping this can be accomplished with a logon
    script of some kind.

    My current configuration file is:

    # samba configuration file
    #
    [global]

    ;basic server settings
    workgroup = TAS
    netbios name = dali
    ;server string = Samba PDC running %v
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
    SO_RCVBUF=8192

    ;PDC and master browser settings
    os level = 64
    preferred master = yes
    local master = yes
    domain master = yes
    domain logons = yes

    ;security and logging settings
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    log level = 2
    max log size = 50
    hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

    ;user profiles and home directory
    logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
    logon script = logon.bat

    ;attempt to map home directory to drive H
    logon drive = B:
    logon home = \\%L\%u

    # ==== shares ====

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    path = /home/%u
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes

    [profiles]
    path = /home/samba/profiles
    writeable = yes
    browseable = no
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700

    [netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /home/netlogon
    read only = yes
    browseable = no
    write list = root

  2. Re: Samba Mapped Drives

    You failed to mention the client running on the desktop - Linux,
    Windows, BSD, MS-DOS, etc.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
    news:7d011ff8.0407080605.26fe8d54@posting.google.c om...