Installing FTE - Help

This is a discussion on Installing FTE - Help ; I am running Redhat 9.0. I am trying to install the FTE text editor. This package resides at sourceforge.net. I have downloaded packages fte-0.49.13-4.src.rpm, fte-0.49.13-4.src.tar.gz, and fte-20020324-src.zip. All of them seem to suffer from the same problem, namely, within the ...

  1. Installing FTE

    I am running Redhat 9.0. I am trying to install the FTE text editor.
    This package resides at sourceforge.net. I have downloaded
    packages fte-0.49.13-4.src.rpm, fte-0.49.13-4.src.tar.gz, and
    fte-20020324-src.zip. All of them seem to suffer from the same problem,
    namely, within the Makefile, there is "make unix". However, I do not
    see "unix" anywhere within the Makefile, which is causing the install to
    abend. This appears to be common throughout all the packages. What can
    I do to get around this? Thanks.

  2. Re: Installing FTE

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:59:04 -0700, David Smith
    wrote:

    >This appears to be common throughout all the packages. What can
    >I do to get around this? Thanks.

    Download an already compiled binary instead.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  3. Re: Installing FTE

    Bill Marcum wrote in message news:<40f89ad5$1_1@news.iglou.com>...
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.help.]
    > On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:59:04 -0700, David Smith
    > wrote:
    > > I am running Redhat 9.0. I am trying to install the FTE text editor.
    > > This package resides at sourceforge.net. I have downloaded
    > > packages fte-0.49.13-4.src.rpm, fte-0.49.13-4.src.tar.gz, and
    > > fte-20020324-src.zip. All of them seem to suffer from the same problem,
    > > namely, within the Makefile, there is "make unix". However, I do not
    > > see "unix" anywhere within the Makefile, which is causing the install to
    > > abend. This appears to be common throughout all the packages. What can
    > > I do to get around this? Thanks.

    > ./configure
    > make
    > make install

    Sorry, but no dice. First, there is no "configure" file once I have
    untarred. So I simply tried "make" first, and then "make install".
    No dice. I get the following:

    sed < fte.in >fte \
    -e "s|@@CONFIGDIR@@|/usr/local/lib/fte/config|g" \
    -e "s|@@BINDIR@@|/usr/local/bin|g"
    chmod a+x fte
    (cd src ; make unix)
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/david/src'
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `unix'. Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/david/src'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

    If I try "make install", I get basically the same thing:

    [root@localhost david]# make install
    (cd src ; make unix)
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/david/src'
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `unix'. Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/david/src'
    make: *** [all] Error 2.

    It is interesting that according to the documentation, there is a file
    of installation instructions, but that file is in fact not there.

  4. Re: Installing FTE

    Bill Marcum wrote in message
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.help.]
    > On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:59:04 -0700, David Smith
    > wrote:
    > > I am running Redhat 9.0. I am trying to install the FTE text editor.
    > > This package resides at sourceforge.net. I have downloaded
    > > packages fte-0.49.13-4.src.rpm, fte-0.49.13-4.src.tar.gz, and
    > > fte-20020324-src.zip. All of them seem to suffer from the same problem,
    > > namely, within the Makefile, there is "make unix". However, I do not
    > > see "unix" anywhere within the Makefile, which is causing the install to
    > > abend. This appears to be common throughout all the packages. What can
    > > I do to get around this? Thanks.

    > ./configure
    > make
    > make install

    Sorry, but no dice. First, there is no "configure" file once I have
    untarred. So I simply tried "make" first, and then "make install".
    No dice. I get the following:

    sed < fte.in >fte \
    -e "s|@@CONFIGDIR@@|/usr/local/lib/fte/config|g" \
    -e "s|@@BINDIR@@|/usr/local/bin|g"
    chmod a+x fte
    (cd src ; make unix)
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/david/src'
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `unix'. Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/david/src'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

    If I try "make install", I get basically the same thing:

    [root@localhost david]# make install
    (cd src ; make unix)
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/david/src'
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `unix'. Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/david/src'
    make: *** [all] Error 2.

    It is interesting that according to the documentation, there is a file
    of installation instructions, but that file is in fact not there.

    As a follow up to the above, I went to fte.sourceforge.net, and
    downloaded fte-20020324-common.zip and fte-20020324-src.zip. All
    compiled nicely except at the very end. For those interested. I got the
    following error messages:

    con_slang.cpp:249: cannot convert `short unsigned int*' to
    `SLsmg_Char_Type*'
    for argument `1' to `unsigned int SLsmg_read_raw(SLsmg_Char_Type*,
    unsigned
    int)'
    con_slang.cpp: In function `int ConPutBoxRaw(int, int, int, int, short
    unsigned
    int*)':
    con_slang.cpp:371: cannot convert `short unsigned int*' to
    `SLsmg_Char_Type*'
    for argument `1' to `unsigned int SLsmg_write_raw(SLsmg_Char_Type*,
    unsigned
    int)'
    con_slang.cpp: In function `int ConGetBox(int, int, int, int, TCell*)':
    con_slang.cpp:389: cannot convert `TCell*' to `SLsmg_Char_Type*' for
    argument `
    1' to `unsigned int SLsmg_read_raw(SLsmg_Char_Type*, unsigned int)'
    con_slang.cpp: In function `int ConGetBoxRaw(int, int, int, int, short
    unsigned
    int*)':
    con_slang.cpp:412: cannot convert `short unsigned int*' to
    `SLsmg_Char_Type*'
    for argument `1' to `unsigned int SLsmg_read_raw(SLsmg_Char_Type*,
    unsigned
    int)'

    If anyone is interested in figuring out what definitions I need to
    change where, I (and others who want to use FTE) would be most grateful.
    My hope is that it is not too difficult. Sad to say, my expertise is
    so lacking that I don't even know where to look to make the corrections.
    I tried, but no seagar.

+ Reply to Thread