mounting ntfs in fedora core 2 - Help

This is a discussion on mounting ntfs in fedora core 2 - Help ; I have tried to mount an ntfs filesystem unsuccessfully. I have fedora core 2 with linux kernel version 2.6.5. I used the command: mount -t ntfs /dev/hde1 /mnt I get an error message that ntfs is not supported by the ...

  1. mounting ntfs in fedora core 2

    I have tried to mount an ntfs filesystem unsuccessfully. I have fedora core 2 with linux kernel
    version 2.6.5. I used the command:

    mount -t ntfs /dev/hde1 /mnt

    I get an error message that ntfs is not supported by the kernel. I checked man8 mount and it
    lists ntfs as one of the file types that is supported by the linux kernel. I used the hardware
    browser to verify that my ntfs partition is located on /dev/hde1.

    I am a linux newbie. Any suggestions how I can mount my ntfs partition?

    Thnanks. Tom

  2. Re: mounting ntfs in fedora core 2

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:49:33 GMT, tom@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I have tried to mount an ntfs filesystem unsuccessfully. I have fedora core 2 with linux kernel
    > version 2.6.5. I used the command:
    >
    > mount -t ntfs /dev/hde1 /mnt
    >
    > I get an error message that ntfs is not supported by the kernel. I checked man8 mount and it
    > lists ntfs as one of the file types that is supported by the linux kernel. I used the hardware
    > browser to verify that my ntfs partition is located on /dev/hde1.
    >
    > I am a linux newbie. Any suggestions how I can mount my ntfs partition?

    Why can't you believe your eyes? Granted, I always thought the Red Hat guys
    took a kitchen sink approach to modules, but cat /proc/filesystems should
    tell you whether or not ntfs is supported by your kernel. If it's not
    you'll probably have to recompile.

    IMHO using /mnt as a mount point is not a good thing. Better to make a
    subdir e.g. /mnt/ntfs

    Rinaldi
    --
    One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to
    do and always a clever thing to say.

+ Reply to Thread