Some of my GUI apps dont start (Mandrake) - Help

This is a discussion on Some of my GUI apps dont start (Mandrake) - Help ; Hi, I'm having a wierd problem since the last time I booted up. System details: --------------- Firstly, details of my system: 1. uname -a gives: Linux slimy 2.4.22-10mdkenterprise #1 SMP Thu Sep 18 11:46:49 CEST 2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux ...

  1. Some of my GUI apps dont start (Mandrake)

    ---------------
    Firstly, details of my system:
    1. uname -a gives:
    Linux slimy 2.4.22-10mdkenterprise #1 SMP Thu Sep 18 11:46:49 CEST
    2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux
    2. XWindow system: GNOME and KDE

    Problem description:
    --------------------
    Some of my GUI apps wont start up, to name a few:
    Mozilla, Galleon, Evolution, Mandrake Control Centre,

    (the list goes on and on)

    The few ones that I can start include:
    Terminal, GEdit, GNUCash, KEdit, Konqueror, Quanta

    I have looked in the system log at /var/log/messages
    and there seemed to be nothing of interest.
    There was one error message about a missing aliases.db
    file which I fixed by "postalias -v ..."

    Probable cause?
    ---------------
    The only other change that I have made is that I
    installed latest version of GTK/GLib/ATK/pango (after
    several tries). During this process I think I uninstalled
    the previous version of GTK.

    So could anyone help me figure out whats going wrong
    or where should I look into the system to get more
    clues as to what is wrong with the system?

    Thanks and Regards,
    ~ amol

  2. Re: Some of my GUI apps dont start (Mandrake)

    On 3 Jul 2004 18:34:32 -0700, Amol wrote:
    > Problem description:
    > --------------------
    > Some of my GUI apps wont start up, to name a few:
    > Mozilla, Galleon, Evolution, Mandrake Control Centre,

    > (the list goes on and on)

    > The few ones that I can start include:
    > Terminal, GEdit, GNUCash, KEdit, Konqueror, Quanta

    > Probable cause?
    > ---------------
    > The only other change that I have made is that I
    > installed latest version of GTK/GLib/ATK/pango (after
    > several tries). During this process I think I uninstalled
    > the previous version of GTK.

    You answered your own question.
    --
    Registered Linux user #266531

  3. Re: Some of my GUI apps dont start (Mandrake)

    Crashdamage <03z1krd7@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:<4e71968cbf20d13ba8574708002aa440@news.teranews.com>...
    > On 3 Jul 2004 18:34:32 -0700, Amol wrote:
    > > Problem description:
    > > --------------------
    > > Some of my GUI apps wont start up, to name a few:
    > > Mozilla, Galleon, Evolution, Mandrake Control Centre,

    > > (the list goes on and on)

    > > The few ones that I can start include:
    > > Terminal, GEdit, GNUCash, KEdit, Konqueror, Quanta

    > > Probable cause?
    > > ---------------
    > > The only other change that I have made is that I
    > > installed latest version of GTK/GLib/ATK/pango (after
    > > several tries). During this process I think I uninstalled
    > > the previous version of GTK.

    > You answered your own question.

    Any idea what I can do to fix it?

  4. Re: Some of my GUI apps dont start (Mandrake)

    On 4 Jul 2004 20:03:27 -0700, Amol wrote:
    > Crashdamage <03z1krd7@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:<4e71968cbf20d13ba8574708002aa440@news.teranews.com>...
    >> On 3 Jul 2004 18:34:32 -0700, Amol wrote:
    >> > Problem description:
    >> > --------------------
    >> > Some of my GUI apps wont start up, to name a few:
    >> > Mozilla, Galleon, Evolution, Mandrake Control Centre,

    >> > (the list goes on and on)

    >> > The few ones that I can start include:
    >> > Terminal, GEdit, GNUCash, KEdit, Konqueror, Quanta

    >> > Probable cause?
    >> > ---------------
    >> > The only other change that I have made is that I
    >> > installed latest version of GTK/GLib/ATK/pango (after
    >> > several tries). During this process I think I uninstalled
    >> > the previous version of GTK.

    >> You answered your own question.

    > Any idea what I can do to fix it?

    Reinstall your earlier version of GTK. Probably wiil need to do the
    same with Glib too to get everything right again, but it may be very
    difficult (impossible? - not sure, I'd have to check into that) to make
    the 2 versions co-exist on the same machine.

    If you use urpmi properly, these problems won't happen.
    --
    Registered Linux user #266531

  5. Re: Some of my GUI apps dont start (Mandrake)

    Crashdamage <03z1krd7@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:<4f4cb8dff5fe3eba55272679a4f8bbf7@news.teranews.com>...
    > On 4 Jul 2004 20:03:27 -0700, Amol wrote:
    > > Crashdamage <03z1krd7@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:<4e71968cbf20d13ba8574708002aa440@news.teranews.com>...

    > >> You answered your own question.

    > > Any idea what I can do to fix it?

    > Reinstall your earlier version of GTK. Probably wiil need to do the
    > same with Glib too to get everything right again, but it may be very
    > difficult (impossible? - not sure, I'd have to check into that) to make
    > the 2 versions co-exist on the same machine.
    >
    > If you use urpmi properly, these problems won't happen.

    Thanks for that! I was desperately looking for rpm installables
    for Mandrake when I was upgrading GTK etc.

    Anyway, my problem is resolved for now. I did as you suggested and
    reinstalled GTK/Glib/ATK/Pango, only this time I got all the latest
    versions and installed each in the correct sequence (glib,atk,pango,gtk)
    and a reboot later all was fine

    BTW, I only realised a few unsuccessful tries and a little googling later
    that configure should be used with "-prefix /usr" option! So from what it
    seems, I had previously uninstalled GTK etc. and not really installed the
    latest versions in the right location :S

    Regards,
    ~ amol

    Regards,
    ~ amol