weird name resolution problem w/ bind - Help

This is a discussion on weird name resolution problem w/ bind - Help ; Newsgroup, I do have a strange behaviour of bind (version 9.2.3 running on SuSE 9.1, kernel 2.6.5-7.75-smp) as follows: ping hp8550 (hp8550 is a local networked printer) from a ssh window (putty) times out without resolving the name yielding an ...

  1. weird name resolution problem w/ bind

    Newsgroup,
    I do have a strange behaviour of bind (version 9.2.3 running on SuSE
    9.1,
    kernel 2.6.5-7.75-smp) as follows:

    ping hp8550 (hp8550 is a local networked printer) from a ssh window
    (putty) times out without resolving the name yielding an error message
    as follows:

    ping: unknown host hp8550

    This is also the case if started with the FQDN (ping
    hp8550.xxxxx.local) to
    resolve for the IP address:
    ping: unknown host hp8550.xxxxx.local

    nslookup hp8550 from the same ssh console returns the correct FQDN
    together
    with the IP-number as follows:

    Note: nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
    Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead. Run nslookup with
    the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
    Server: 192.168.xx.1
    Address: 192.168.xx.1#53

    Name: hp8550.xxxxx.local
    Address: 192.168.xx.64

    Same ping from a XP cmd window of a local PC connected to the local
    domain
    works without any problems: ping hp8550 resolves to the correct IP and
    pings.

    All external pings (i.e. hosts not in the local domain) with domain
    names
    resolve for the IP address and work as expected regardless whether
    from XP
    or ssh window. You can substitute bind with telnet, ftp, etc - all do
    not
    resolve correctly if executed from the ssh console.
    BTW the same is true for the linux console

    Setup is as follows:
    authoritative bind for the domain xxxxx.local with "forwarders ..." to
    the
    ISP's name servers with "forward first". Restricted to allow queries
    from
    the local subnet + loopback and listening on dedicated local subnet
    address
    (192.168.xx.1) plus loopback.

    At the moment I am clueless and would appreciate any suggestion.

    Many thanks and best regards,

    Klaus

  2. Re: weird name resolution problem w/ bind

    G'Day Klaus,

    What's the content of your /etc/resolv.conf file?

    Regards,

    Eki

    news:ac7d714b.0407031313.3fd9d37b@posting.google.c om...

+ Reply to Thread