Slow HD, swap fills up rapidly - Help

This is a discussion on Slow HD, swap fills up rapidly - Help ; I am using Fedora Core 2, and ever since RH8 or so, I have been having trouble with the system just going slower and slower. The hard drive is seeking a lot and the swap is filling up rapidly. I ...

  1. Slow HD, swap fills up rapidly

    I am using Fedora Core 2, and ever since RH8 or so, I have been having
    trouble with the system just going slower and slower. The hard drive is
    seeking a lot and the swap is filling up rapidly. I usually keep
    Evolution, Pan, Galeon, Gaim and KMail up all the time, and I use KDE for
    my desktop environment. I also keep a second session of X running so my
    wife can use her own e-mail.

    I've tried hdparm to speed it up. I issued a "hdparm -X66 -d1 -u1 -m16
    -c3". This seems to have sped it up a little, but I still get slow
    reactions when starting applications, bringing applications forward and
    switching virtual desktops. Here is an output of hdparm /dev/hda:

    ----------
    /dev/hda:
    multcount = 16 (on)
    IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
    unmaskirq = 1 (on)
    using_dma = 1 (on)
    keepsettings = 1 (on)
    readonly = 0 (off)
    readahead = 256 (on)
    geometry = 16383/255/63, sectors = 156301488, start = 0
    ----------

    hdparm -i /dev/hda returns:

    ----------
    /dev/hda:

    Model=WDC WD800BB-00DKA0, FwRev=77.07W77, SerialNo=WD-WCAHL4375431
    Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec SpinMotCtl Fixed DTR>5Mbs FmtGapReq }
    RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=57600, SectSize=600, ECCbytes=74
    BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
    CurCHS=4047/16/255, CurSects=16511760, LBA=yes, LBAsects=156301488
    IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
    PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
    DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
    UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2
    AdvancedPM=no WriteCache=enabled
    Drive conforms to: device does not report version:

    * signifies the current active mode
    ----------

    Also, I have heard that Fedora/Red Hat is one of the slower distros out
    there. Would switching to another distro help? If so, is SuSE any
    better? Also, would switching from ext3 to reiserfs do any good?

    --
    Lurlean Lie #18:
    He's a closet Hindu that's infiltrated the Lutheran Church with all his Satanic

  2. Re: Slow HD, swap fills up rapidly

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 12:57:57 GMT, Bill Baker wrote:

    > I am using Fedora Core 2, and ever since RH8 or so, I have been having
    > trouble with the system just going slower and slower. The hard drive is
    > seeking a lot and the swap is filling up rapidly. I usually keep
    > Evolution, Pan, Galeon, Gaim and KMail up all the time, and I use KDE for
    > my desktop environment. I also keep a second session of X running so my
    > wife can use her own e-mail.

    That sounds like a RAM problem. Is top showing the right numbers? Maybe
    one of your memory boards has failed.

  3. Re: Slow HD, swap fills up rapidly

    If I had the money, believe me... :-)

    --
    Lurlean Lie #11:
    I KNOW you do it at least to the shack up lover boy you call your hubby.

  4. Re: Slow HD, swap fills up rapidly

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:22:32 +0000, Bob Tennent wrote
    in message news::

    > On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:22:42 GMT, Bill Baker wrote:
    > > On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:03:07 +0000, Bob Tennent wrote
    > > in message news::

    > >> That sounds like a RAM problem. Is top showing the right numbers? Maybe
    > >> one of your memory boards has failed.

    > > Here's what top returns. I have 256MB of RAM.
    > >
    > > top - 09:21:24 up 2 days, 1:06, 8 users, load average: 1.67, 1.87, 1.84
    > > Tasks: 113 total, 3 running, 110 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    > > Cpu(s): 39.9% us, 2.5% sy, 57.5% ni, 0.0% id, 0.0% wa, 0.0% hi, 0.0% si
    > > Mem: 256084k total, 253304k used, 2780k free, 1692k buffers
    > > Swap: 522104k total, 359644k used, 162460k free, 33436k cached

    > Buy more RAM. If you're going to run all of these large programs, you
    > need more RAM. The hard-drive has nothing to do with it except that when
    > the system runs out of memory, it reverts to swap space on the drive.
    >
    > I use a simple program called gmemusage to give a bar-graph kind of
    > picture of memory use. It's fun to open a Java applet and watch the Java
    > virtual machine lumber into action: its segment is about three times
    > larger than anything else running. Unfortunately, gmemusage doesn't
    > seem to work properly on 2.6 kernels and the developer seems to have
    > disappeared.
    >
    > Bob T.

    Thanks, I'll buy more memory as soon as I can. Do you think just an extra
    256MB would do it, or should I get a gig of RAM? My CPU is a 650MHz
    Athlon. Also, is this also the reason my CPU usage spikes up to 100%
    every few seconds?

    --
    Funny Sister Lurlean quote #76:
    "They just elected a uncut ex Nazi as governor of California. I'm afraid he's

  5. Re: Slow HD, swap fills up rapidly

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:59:36 GMT, Bill Baker wrote:

    >> > I have 256MB of RAM.
    >> >

    >> Buy more RAM. If you're going to run all of these large programs, you
    >> need more RAM. The hard-drive has nothing to do with it except that when
    >> the system runs out of memory, it reverts to swap space on the drive.

    > Thanks, I'll buy more memory as soon as I can. Do you think just an extra
    > 256MB would do it, or should I get a gig of RAM?

    512 should be enough.

    > is this also the reason my CPU usage spikes up to 100%
    > every few seconds?

    I wouldn't think so. Leave top running and identify the culprit.

+ Reply to Thread