Life Expectancy of Flash Memory Drives - Help

This is a discussion on Life Expectancy of Flash Memory Drives - Help ; Yesterday, my PNY Atache flash memory stick drive started to fail on me. It can read all files just fine. So I managed to tar all the files into a backup. I can reformat it in Win2000 or Knoppix just ...

  1. Life Expectancy of Flash Memory Drives

    Yesterday, my PNY Atache flash memory stick drive started to fail on me.
    It can read all files just fine. So I managed to tar all the files into
    a backup.

    I can reformat it in Win2000 or Knoppix just fine. But when putting
    files (of any kind) onto it will lock up the computer (W2k or Knoppix)
    every time after about a minute or so of writing to the device. It does
    this on two different computers that I've tried.

    Conclusion: The drive is bad.

    My query is: Does anyone know about how long one should expect one of
    these type drives to last under daily use as a Knoppix persistant home
    directory? Anyone know of any utilities to lock out a bad memory
    cell/sector?

    I thought since these things don't have moving parts (other than moving
    from place to place) they should last quite a while and be very reliable
    from data loss. Guess I was wrong.

    Anyone else run into problems with flash memory?

    Thanks.

    Kenneth Lantrip

  2. Re: Life Expectancy of Flash Memory Drives

    Kenneth Lantrip wrote:

    > Yesterday, my PNY Atache flash memory stick drive started to fail on me.
    > It can read all files just fine. So I managed to tar all the files into
    > a backup.
    >
    > I can reformat it in Win2000 or Knoppix just fine. But when putting
    > files (of any kind) onto it will lock up the computer (W2k or Knoppix)
    > every time after about a minute or so of writing to the device. It does
    > this on two different computers that I've tried.
    >
    > Conclusion: The drive is bad.
    >
    > My query is: Does anyone know about how long one should expect one of
    > these type drives to last under daily use as a Knoppix persistant home
    > directory? Anyone know of any utilities to lock out a bad memory
    > cell/sector?
    >
    > I thought since these things don't have moving parts (other than moving
    > from place to place) they should last quite a while and be very reliable
    > from data loss. Guess I was wrong.
    >
    > Anyone else run into problems with flash memory?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Kenneth Lantrip

    1- Reformatting is a write operation.

    2- if writing files crashes the computer, something beyond the flash
    drive is wrong. The drive itself could still be a triggering factor.

    3- I don't know about the recent stuff, but older flash memory wore out
    fast enough that using it for log files being constantly updated was
    strongly not recomended. As I use my USB flash drive, I expect it to
    last for many years.

  3. Re: Life Expectancy of Flash Memory Drives

    Looking for a date/hookup/sex partner?
    http://accfq2.linksysnet.com:999/match/index2.htm

    ^^ Free dating services & Swingers Pages! ^^
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Need a Loan or a Credit Card? Our loan pages are the best
    http://accfq2.linksysnet.com:999/loan/index.htm

    100% Guaranteed Credit Cards and Loans, EVEN IF YOU HAVE BAD CREDIT!
    Also, Signature Cash advances, and debt consolidation! Check us out today.

    Looking for adult Videos? DVDs? VHS? Toys? Look no further.
    http://shop.sex-superstore.com/cgi-s...ex.cgi?af=5971
    Guaranteed BEST price anywhere.. $9.99 XXX DVD Section! Free dildo with
    any order over $50! Check us out today!

    "Kenneth Lantrip" wrote in message
    news:0nAEc.15407$J82.10525@fe25.usenetserver.com.. .
    > Yesterday, my PNY Atache flash memory stick drive started to fail on me.
    > It can read all files just fine. So I managed to tar all the files into
    > a backup.
    >
    > I can reformat it in Win2000 or Knoppix just fine. But when putting
    > files (of any kind) onto it will lock up the computer (W2k or Knoppix)
    > every time after about a minute or so of writing to the device. It does
    > this on two different computers that I've tried.
    >
    > Conclusion: The drive is bad.
    >
    > My query is: Does anyone know about how long one should expect one of
    > these type drives to last under daily use as a Knoppix persistant home
    > directory? Anyone know of any utilities to lock out a bad memory
    > cell/sector?
    >
    > I thought since these things don't have moving parts (other than moving
    > from place to place) they should last quite a while and be very reliable
    > from data loss. Guess I was wrong.
    >
    > Anyone else run into problems with flash memory?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Kenneth Lantrip

+ Reply to Thread