help: gunzip & tar to install open office - Help

This is a discussion on help: gunzip & tar to install open office - Help ; from http://www.openoffice.org/ i'm trying install, obviously, open office fairly simple question, unfortunately couldn't find the answer on the 'net and no books available, so: i have file OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz which i've managed to unzip, i believe, with "gunzip OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz" leaving me ...

  1. help: gunzip & tar to install open office

    from http://www.openoffice.org/ i'm trying install, obviously, open
    office

    fairly simple question, unfortunately couldn't find the answer on the
    'net and no books available, so:

    i have file OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz which i've managed to
    unzip, i believe, with "gunzip OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz"
    leaving me with "OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar" which i can't
    figure out how to extract.

    i've tried variations on "tar -x OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar"
    with no luck; i'm reading man tar but can't figure it. any help
    please?

    bonus round: is the next step "make foo" or something?

    (FWIW i'm not doing this as root)

    thanks,

    javac at mail dot com

  2. Re: help: gunzip & tar to install open office

    javac wrote:

    > from http://www.openoffice.org/ i'm trying install, obviously, open
    > office
    >
    > fairly simple question, unfortunately couldn't find the answer on the
    > 'net and no books available, so:
    >
    > i have file OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz which i've managed to
    > unzip, i believe, with "gunzip OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz"
    > leaving me with "OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar" which i can't
    > figure out how to extract.
    >
    > i've tried variations on "tar -x OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar"
    > with no luck; i'm reading man tar but can't figure it. any help
    > please?

    tar was originally meant for use with tape devices... and by default, unless
    you give it a flag, it tries to read from or write to a tape device. The
    flag you need is "f", to tell it you want to read from / write to a file
    instead of a tape device.

    So,

    tar -xf OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar

    is what you would use. If you want to see what it's doing while it goes,
    add in the v ("verbose") flag:

    tar -xvf OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar

    Often a useful thing to do before extracting is to see what's in the
    archive. In particular, I like to check whether the files will extract
    into their own directory, or into the current one. You can use t ("table",
    as in "table of contents") to get a listing of what's in the archive:

    tar -tf OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar

    Note as well that with GNU tar (which is what you generally find on Linux),
    you don't have to gunzip as a separate step. You could have used:

    tar -xzf OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz

    The z flag tells tar to gunzip automatically.

    > bonus round: is the next step "make foo" or something?

    Nope, not with OpenOffice.org. There's an installer program to run, though
    I don't remember whether it's a shell script or a binary.

    --
    ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey
    /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
    |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

  3. Re: help: gunzip & tar to install open office

    Travis Casey wrote in message news:...
    [..]
    > tar -xzf OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz
    >
    > The z flag tells tar to gunzip automatically.
    >
    > > bonus round: is the next step "make foo" or something?

    > Nope, not with OpenOffice.org. There's an installer program to run, though
    > I don't remember whether it's a shell script or a binary.

    right, this rings a bell
    however...

    [net@7 openOffice]$
    [net@7 openOffice]$ tar -xzfv OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz
    tar (child): v: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz: Not found in archive
    [net@7 openOffice]$ ll
    total 78112
    -rw------- 1 net net 79899184 Jun 17 23:07
    OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz

    am i missing something? back to the man pages, sigh..

  4. Re: help: gunzip & tar to install open office

    javac wrote:
    > Travis Casey wrote in message news:...
    > [..]
    >
    >>tar -xzf OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz
    >>
    >>The z flag tells tar to gunzip automatically.
    >>

    >>>bonus round: is the next step "make foo" or something?

    >>Nope, not with OpenOffice.org. There's an installer program to run, though
    >>I don't remember whether it's a shell script or a binary.

    > right, this rings a bell
    > however...
    >

    > [net@7 openOffice]$
    > [net@7 openOffice]$ tar -xzfv OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz
    > tar (child): v: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    > tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    > tar: Child returned status 2
    > tar: OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz: Not found in archive
    > [net@7 openOffice]$ ls
    > total 78112
    > -rw------- 1 net net 79899184 Jun 17 23:07
    > OOo_1.1.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz
    >
    > am i missing something? back to the man pages, sigh..

    You need to eliminate the 'z' flag, because you already decompressed it.
    'z' tells tar to run gunzip. gunzip chokes on plain tar files.

    If you have a copy of File Roller (GNOME) or Ark (KDE(, by all means,
    use those tools to keep your sanity. tar _does_ have a confusing command
    line; that's why I use File Roller/Ark.

+ Reply to Thread