running mutella in the background? - Help

This is a discussion on running mutella in the background? - Help ; I'm using mutella because I heard it could be run in the background and controlled by the web interface. I'd like to be able to do something like this $ mutella & $ exit so I can leave it running ...

  1. running mutella in the background?

    I'm using mutella because I heard it could be run in the background
    and controlled by the web interface. I'd like to be able to do
    something like this

    $ mutella &
    $ exit

    so I can leave it running in the background even when logged out. But
    it seems to need to stay attached to the console.

    Anyone know how to do this?

  2. Re: running mutella in the background?

    Nomen Nescio wrote:

    > I'm using mutella because I heard it could be run in the background
    > and controlled by the web interface. I'd like to be able to do
    > something like this
    >
    > $ mutella &
    > $ exit
    >
    > so I can leave it running in the background even when logged out. But
    > it seems to need to stay attached to the console.
    >
    > Anyone know how to do this?

    Use the "nohup" command, like so:

    nohup mutella &

    You'll also get a "nohup.out" file created, which will have any output or
    error messages mutella tries to send to the console.

    --
    ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey
    /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
    |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

  3. Re: running mutella in the background?

    Travis Casey wrote:

    > Nomen Nescio wrote:
    >
    > > I'm using mutella because I heard it could be run in the background
    > > and controlled by the web interface. I'd like to be able to do
    > > something like this
    > >
    > > $ mutella &
    > > $ exit
    > >
    > > so I can leave it running in the background even when logged out. But
    > > it seems to need to stay attached to the console.
    > >
    > > Anyone know how to do this?

    > Use the "nohup" command, like so:
    >
    > nohup mutella &
    >
    > You'll also get a "nohup.out" file created, which will have any output or
    > error messages mutella tries to send to the console.

    Sounds good. But can do I "reconnect" to the process later so I can
    give it the "exit" command?

  4. Re: running mutella in the background?

    Nomen Nescio wrote:

    > I'm using mutella because I heard it could be run in the background
    > and controlled by the web interface. I'd like to be able to do
    > something like this
    >
    > $ mutella &
    > $ exit
    >
    > so I can leave it running in the background even when logged out. But
    > it seems to need to stay attached to the console.
    >
    > Anyone know how to do this?

    Hi Nomen,

    Yes! I use screen
    type screen to start
    type mutella to start program
    type ctrl-a d to detach
    logout from console with mutella still going.
    login to console and type screen -x to operate mutella again

    Cheers
    Gary

  5. Re: running mutella in the background?

    Gary Sorensen wrote:

    > Nomen Nescio wrote:
    >
    > > I'm using mutella because I heard it could be run in the background
    > > and controlled by the web interface. I'd like to be able to do
    > > something like this
    > >
    > > $ mutella &
    > > $ exit
    > >
    > > so I can leave it running in the background even when logged out. But
    > > it seems to need to stay attached to the console.
    > >
    > > Anyone know how to do this?

    > Hi Nomen,
    >
    > Yes! I use screen
    > type screen to start
    > type mutella to start program
    > type ctrl-a d to detach
    > logout from console with mutella still going.
    > login to console and type screen -x to operate mutella again

    Perfect, thanks!

+ Reply to Thread