help: using linux rescue to change boot level - Help

This is a discussion on help: using linux rescue to change boot level - Help ; in fedora core one how would one use the rescue cd to change to boot level (correct term) to 3, so that it boots to the command line? thanks, javac at mail dot com...

  1. help: using linux rescue to change boot level

    in fedora core one how would one use the rescue cd to change to boot
    level (correct term) to 3, so that it boots to the command line?

    thanks,

    javac at mail dot com

  2. Re: help: using linux rescue to change boot level

    javac wrote:

    > in fedora core one how would one use the rescue cd to change to boot
    > level (correct term) to 3, so that it boots to the command line?

    Well, personally... I wouldn't. Instead, I'd just "su - root" and then edit
    inittab. Near the start of the file, you should see a line like:

    id:2:initdefault:

    Change the number in that ("2" here, probably different in yours) to "3",
    then save the file.

    At least, that's presuming that Fedora doesn't have some special way to do
    it... I don't use Fedora, myself, so this is just the "generic" way.

    --
    ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey
    /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
    |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

  3. Re: help: using linux rescue to change boot level

    javac wrote:

    > in fedora core one how would one use the rescue cd to change to boot
    > level (correct term) to 3, so that it boots to the command line?

    .... type the '3' at the boot prompt
    ..
    Beware of the Turing Tar-pit in which everything is possible but
    nothing of interest is easy.

  4. Re: help: using linux rescue to change boot level

    Travis Casey wrote in message news:...
    [..]
    > Well, personally... I wouldn't. Instead, I'd just "su - root" and then edit
    > inittab. Near the start of the file, you should see a line like:
    >
    > id:2:initdefault:
    >
    > Change the number in that ("2" here, probably different in yours) to "3",
    > then save the file.
    >
    > At least, that's presuming that Fedora doesn't have some special way to do
    > it... I don't use Fedora, myself, so this is just the "generic" way.

    when i did this i tried also tried to change the password for a user,
    but it wouldn't let me. any tips?

    javac at mail dot com

  5. Re: help: using linux rescue to change boot level

    javac wrote:

    [snip]

    > when i did this i tried also tried to change the password for a user,
    > but it wouldn't let me. any tips?

    Well, you don't say how you tried to do it... The usual way I'd do it would
    be to "su - root", then do "passwd user", with "user" changed to be the
    username I'm trying to change the password for.

    --
    ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey
    /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
    |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

  6. Re: help: using linux rescue to change boot level

    mjt wrote in message news:...
    > javac wrote:
    >
    > > in fedora core one how would one use the rescue cd to change to boot
    > > level (correct term) to 3, so that it boots to the command line?

    > ... type the '3' at the boot prompt
    > .

    maybe a silly question: what's a boot prompt, and what's it look like?

    thanks,

    javac at mail dot com

+ Reply to Thread