Getting set up to run install a dual-boot Fedora - Win XP - Help

This is a discussion on Getting set up to run install a dual-boot Fedora - Win XP - Help ; I have a 120 MB hard drive currently partitioned into a C: drive with all my Windows XP system files (~107 GB) and a D: drive with some sort of "recovery" archive (~5 GB). I'd like to install Fedora as ...

  1. Getting set up to run install a dual-boot Fedora - Win XP

    I have a 120 MB hard drive currently partitioned into a C: drive with
    all my Windows XP system files (~107 GB) and a D: drive with some sort
    of "recovery" archive (~5 GB).

    I'd like to install Fedora as a dual boot (I need to use windows when
    I bring work home, and the rest of the family isn't sure they want to
    switch over to Linux yet.) The instructions I have tell me that I
    need to create another partition into which I'll install my Linux
    system, but I'm not sure how to do that.

    Running the Windows help system, apparently I'm supposed to use the
    "Computer management" utility, which indicates that I have ~87GB free
    in my C: drive. The help files say that to create a new partition,
    you "Right-click an unallocated region of a basic disk, and then click
    New Partition." However, though I have lots of free space, I think
    it's all allocated to the C: drive. It seems like I ought to be able
    to peel off 20-30 GB for my Linux partition, which would still leave
    me a good deal of free space for Windows. However, I can't figure out
    how to do this. Am I going to have to back up all my data, erase the
    C: drive (and delete the partition), then set up two new partitions
    and reload my data? If I do that, do I have to reinstall Windows? Or
    is there some way I can just slice off the 30 GB of free space from
    the C: drive for my new partition?

    Also, any other stuff I need to do to prepare my computer for the
    installation?

    Your help is appreciated in advance.

    Joe

  2. Re: Getting set up to run install a dual-boot Fedora - Win XP

    Joe Bachman wrote:

    > I have a 120 MB hard drive currently partitioned into a C: drive with
    > all my Windows XP system files (~107 GB) and a D: drive with some sort
    > of "recovery" archive (~5 GB).
    >
    > I'd like to install Fedora as a dual boot (I need to use windows when
    > I bring work home, and the rest of the family isn't sure they want to
    > switch over to Linux yet.) The instructions I have tell me that I
    > need to create another partition into which I'll install my Linux
    > system, but I'm not sure how to do that.
    >
    > Running the Windows help system, apparently I'm supposed to use the
    > "Computer management" utility, which indicates that I have ~87GB free
    > in my C: drive. The help files say that to create a new partition,
    > you "Right-click an unallocated region of a basic disk, and then click
    > New Partition." However, though I have lots of free space, I think
    > it's all allocated to the C: drive. It seems like I ought to be able
    > to peel off 20-30 GB for my Linux partition, which would still leave
    > me a good deal of free space for Windows. However, I can't figure out
    > how to do this. Am I going to have to back up all my data, erase the
    > C: drive (and delete the partition), then set up two new partitions
    > and reload my data? If I do that, do I have to reinstall Windows? Or
    > is there some way I can just slice off the 30 GB of free space from
    > the C: drive for my new partition?
    >
    > Also, any other stuff I need to do to prepare my computer for the
    > installation?
    >
    > Your help is appreciated in advance.
    >
    > Joe

    Free space an unallocated space is, as you assume, not the same thing.
    You could create new partitions and reinstall windows but I think that
    "Partition Magic" can change the size of your windows partition without
    reinstalling.
    Remember at swap partition for you Linux system.

    --
    Michael The Sane!

  3. Re: Getting set up to run install a dual-boot Fedora - Win XP

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:50:52 +0200, Michael
    wrote:

    >but I think that
    >"Partition Magic" can change the size of your windows partition without
    >reinstalling.

    Yes,it can. Be sure to follow the instructions about running defrag
    first, to get as much as possible available for the new partition.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns