10 year netware veteran forced to switched to linux--questions - Help

This is a discussion on 10 year netware veteran forced to switched to linux--questions - Help ; Greetings, I have been the sysadmin for many netware servers(currently around 100) for about 10 years. With the recent Suse acquisition I need to start learning linux. Management has not shown interest in moving off of netware yet to linux----netware ...

  1. 10 year netware veteran forced to switched to linux--questions

    Greetings, I have been the sysadmin for many netware servers(currently
    around 100) for about 10 years. With the recent Suse acquisition I need to
    start learning linux. Management has not shown interest in moving off of
    netware yet to linux----netware 7 will only have the option of linux--not a
    requirement yet.

    Knowing practically 0 about linux how long could I reasonably assume to be
    competent enough to run a linux server? I know Netware/edirectory inside/out
    and I am sure someday I will be expected to know Suse/edirectory inside and
    out.

    I see myself as fairly competent running all those servers, in addition to 3
    Emc sans, however I do not know where to start. Just install linux and bang
    around on it? I have looked at some books and they look so dang boring and
    bounce around too much. Comments appreciated.

  2. Re: 10 year netware veteran forced to switched to linux--questions

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 04:38:10 GMT, "Joseph" wrote:

    >Knowing practically 0 about linux how long could I reasonably assume to be
    >competent enough to run a linux server?

    Probably not at all as you know nothing about it. Oh, wait. You
    meant "how long *until* I..." Learning the CLI commands isn't hard,
    and the documentation is all on your hard disk. The GUI, of course,
    is easier, but you'll need to understand the CLI for some things.
    There are a few things to get used to, of course, but that's always
    true. Once you get the feel of the directory tree, I think you'll
    like it better than the Winderz method of drive letters. The one that
    will get you, however, until you really get the feel of it is the
    Unix/Linux philosophy of, "you asked for it, you get it." If you
    forget to check which directory you're in when you delete everything,
    you can end up wiping the drive; I've heard of somebody accidentally
    making *every* file in the tree non-executable, including, of course,
    chmod. Believe it or not, he managed to recover from this without
    reinstalling or restoring a backup, and that's part of what I like
    about it. Yes, it will let you screw up, but there's almost always a
    way to recover if you can just find it. Good luck, and I hope you
    like learning and using Linux.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  3. Re: 10 year netware veteran forced to switched to linux--questions

    "Joseph" wrote in message news:...
    > Greetings, I have been the sysadmin for many netware servers(currently
    > around 100) for about 10 years. With the recent Suse acquisition I need to
    > start learning linux. Management has not shown interest in moving off of
    > netware yet to linux----netware 7 will only have the option of linux--not a
    > requirement yet.
    >
    > Knowing practically 0 about linux how long could I reasonably assume to be
    > competent enough to run a linux server? I know Netware/edirectory inside/out
    > and I am sure someday I will be expected to know Suse/edirectory inside and
    > out.

    Not very long at all. You have all the background knowledge required.
    You know what a "file" and a "directory" is. You're familiar with
    creating users and assigning them roles with relevant permissions.
    You're familiar with a picture based interface with point and click.
    I'd say about a week before you stop feeling a little "scared you're
    not doing the right thing", and then another week on top of that
    before you're feeling rather chuffed with how cool everything is

    > I see myself as fairly competent running all those servers, in addition to 3
    > Emc sans, however I do not know where to start. Just install linux and bang
    > around on it?

    Is there any other way?

    > I have looked at some books and they look so dang boring and
    > bounce around too much. Comments appreciated.

    Stick to just 3 cups of coffee a day and the books stop bouncing. Yes,
    they are boring and 9/10 you don't need them. For most "day to day"
    stuff the "man" pages will tell you everything you need to know.

    It all depends what your common tasks are... could give more info then

+ Reply to Thread