Good Linux Books? For 2004 newbie - Help

This is a discussion on Good Linux Books? For 2004 newbie - Help ; Are there good texts out on linux's lastest sort of things - I'm thinking KDE 3.2, ALSA (and sound generally) as well as urpmi need some coverage for this newbie. I have the 1997 or thereabouts 'Teach yourself linux' and ...

  1. Good Linux Books? For 2004 newbie

    Are there good texts out on linux's lastest sort of things - I'm thinking
    KDE 3.2, ALSA (and sound generally) as well as urpmi need some coverage
    for this newbie.
    I have the 1997 or thereabouts 'Teach yourself linux' and "Linux
    Unleashed' but the areas that really throw me are the newer stuff.

  2. Re: Good Linux Books? For 2004 newbie

    On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 22:50:21 +0900, Richard Crane
    wrote:

    >Are there good texts out on linux's lastest sort of things - I'm thinking
    >KDE 3.2, ALSA (and sound generally) as well as urpmi need some coverage
    >for this newbie.
    >I have the 1997 or thereabouts 'Teach yourself linux' and "Linux
    >Unleashed' but the areas that really throw me are the newer stuff.

    Speaking only as one newbie to another-- I'd recommend a good general
    book _Beginning Linux programming_, by Richard Stones and Neil Matthew
    (2d ed. Wrox Press, 1999) which covers a wonderful lot of topics in a
    clearer manner than any other text I've seen. It contains material
    about X and Gnome, but not KDE or, as far as I know, the other areas
    you're inquiring about. I think the authors also have an advanced
    book. It might not be as recent as you want, but I'd consider the
    book indispensible anyway.

  3. Re: Good Linux Books? For 2004 newbie

    Another must read for a newbie is Linux Administration: A Beginners Guide (I
    think there are 3 total, one building on the last book) written by Graham
    and Shah...this book opened my eye to the beauty and ease of linux
    use..after reading it for 2 weeks I am now doing things I never thought
    possible...IT IS nice to understand the OS itself...saves hours of
    frustration...it covers just about all of it...

    Richard Crane wrote:

    > Are there good texts out on linux's lastest sort of things - I'm thinking
    > KDE 3.2, ALSA (and sound generally) as well as urpmi need some coverage
    > for this newbie.
    > I have the 1997 or thereabouts 'Teach yourself linux' and "Linux
    > Unleashed' but the areas that really throw me are the newer stuff.

  4. Re: Good Linux Books? For 2004 newbie

    Why not the O'Reilly "LINUX in a NUTSHELL", it's a reference - but it
    will be quick to find what you need. I'm not so sure it covers KDE
    thought.

    --
    lukyanov
    lukyanov's Profile: http://thisishull.net/community/member.php?userid=5

  5. Re: Good Linux Books? For 2004 newbie

    lukyanov wrote in news:lukyanov.17p4xb@dev.null.thisishull.net:

    > Why not the O'Reilly "LINUX in a NUTSHELL", it's a reference - but it
    > will be quick to find what you need. I'm not so sure it covers KDE
    > thought.

    While it is a valuable reference, I'm not sure that it's all that
    useful for a newbie.

    --
    Cheers,
    Kurt

  6. Re: Good Linux Books? For 2004 newbie

    scour www.tldp.org for documentation. best of all, its free and
    also google for "linux books", im sure youll find many links to free
    documentation

    Richard Crane wrote in message news:...
    > Are there good texts out on linux's lastest sort of things - I'm thinking
    > KDE 3.2, ALSA (and sound generally) as well as urpmi need some coverage
    > for this newbie.
    > I have the 1997 or thereabouts 'Teach yourself linux' and "Linux
    > Unleashed' but the areas that really throw me are the newer stuff.

+ Reply to Thread