I recently installed RedHat 9 on a machine that I use for a firewall
at home. When I view man pages, the apostrophe character displays as
the caret-a character, unicode 00e2. For example here's part of the
output from man rcp:

DESCRIPTION
Rcp copies files between machines. Each file or
directory argument is either a remote file name of the form
‚‚rname@rhostath‚‚, or a local file name (containing no
‚:‚ characters, or a ‚/‚ before any ‚:‚s).

But if I use vi, I can input both the apostrophe ' and the accent `.
Then when I cat the file these characters display properly.

Anyone got any ideas why this is happening?