VERY new to linux, requesting direction.. - Help

This is a discussion on VERY new to linux, requesting direction.. - Help ; Hi, I'm extremely new to linux. Best I have done is install mandrake 8.2 and play around with some of the settings through the GUI for like hardware and network devices. I haven't gotten into the programming side at all ...

  1. VERY new to linux, requesting direction..

    Hi, I'm extremely new to linux. Best I have done is install mandrake
    8.2 and play around with some of the settings through the GUI for like
    hardware and network devices. I haven't gotten into the programming
    side at all or even the command-line side. I suppose I can consider
    myself a windows expert but as far as linux goes... nothing.

    What I am asking is that you guys point me in the right direction, to
    some help files or good sites/guides for beginners. I am going to be
    running fedora core2 if that helps in your advice.

    Thanks ahead of the time and I hope im with linux for a long time.

    Tyler

  2. Re: VERY new to linux, requesting direction..

    www.google.com/linux is your friend.
    --
    Registered Linux user #266531

  3. Re: VERY new to linux, requesting direction..

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 04:32:36 +0000 Crashdamage scrawled this disquisition:

    > On Fri, 28 May 2004 19:35:06 -0500, Tyler wrote:
    >>... point me in the right direction, to some help files or good
    >> sites/guides for beginners.

    > www.google.com/linux is your friend.

    Wouldn't something like http://www.linux.org/ be a better answer than an
    empty search box?

    FS

  4. Re: VERY new to linux, requesting direction..

    Tyler wrote:

    > What I am asking is that you guys point me in the right direction, to
    > some help files or good sites/guides for beginners. I am going to be
    > running fedora core2 if that helps in your advice.

    http://www.tldp.org/

    CDA

  5. Re: VERY new to linux, requesting direction..

    Chris Applegate writes:

    > Tyler wrote:
    >
    > > What I am asking is that you guys point me in the right direction,
    > > to some help files or good sites/guides for beginners. I am going
    > > to be running fedora core2 if that helps in your advice.

    > http://www.tldp.org/

    Also, there is a vast amount of documentation available from the Linux
    command line. Start a command-line window (or just Shift+Ctrl+F1 to
    get to a text console and login -- Shift-F7 will take you back to the
    GUI on most distros). Type "man man" (followed, naturally, by the
    Return key). ("man" === "manual", as in "read the fscking
    manual". "man fsck" to understand why that's funny - to some people,
    anyway). "man pages" are the canonical way to document Unix
    command-line utilities, although many Gnu utilities (which are used
    very heavily in most Linux environments) use the "info" system for
    more detailed documentation. "man info" to see what that's all about.
    You probably don't care about info unless and until you read a man
    page that says, in effect, "this man page is just a pale reflection of
    the brain-meltingly comprehensive documentation available on the
    corresponding info page."

    Also, at the command line, type "apropos " to get a list of
    man pages containing in their keywords.

    Also, the /usr/share/doc directory on many distros contains all the
    documentation that accompanies the source code for each package
    installed on the system (FAQs, etc).

    HTH,

    -- Joe

    --