I'm trying to get some SATA hard drives working under the 2.6.x series
kernel and having no luck after several weeks. Apparantly Silicon
Image has released closed source drivers for SuSE and some other
distros, but how can I get these drives to work under debian /
knoppix?

I have tried using the Knoppix 3.4 05/17 release and I get a repeated
"Disabling IRQ #18" message on boot. Later, when I try to mount the
drive, it can't read the superblock. I would go ahead and use the
Debian installer beta4 with 2.6 kernel option on this computer but I
fear that I will not be able to access the data on the SATA drives and
will spend an eternity trying to restore a working system.

Has anyone had success mounting SATA drives using Silicon Image 3112
on Debian 2.6.x kernels?

Setup follows:
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo
1 Western Digital IDE hard drive (/dev/hda)
2 Western Digital SATA hard drives (/dev/hde /dev/hdg)

Thanks for any help