Quickbooks-like software for Linux? - Help

This is a discussion on Quickbooks-like software for Linux? - Help ; I am starting up my own freelance writing business, and I'm going to need some software to track and bill customers. I started looking around, and it seems that Quickbooks (which I've never used), does the kinds of things that ...

  1. Quickbooks-like software for Linux?

    I am starting up my own freelance writing business, and I'm going
    to need some software to track and bill customers. I started
    looking around, and it seems that Quickbooks (which I've never used),
    does the kinds of things that I need.

    Are there any alternatives for Linux? I'd really like to stick
    with Linux and open-source as much as possible. Partially because
    it seems that "professional" software for Windows is extremely
    over-priced, and partially because I'd like to avoid
    proprietary file formats.

    I am considering building my own with PHP and mySQL, as I am
    currently a professional web developer. However, if there
    are good tools out there, I'd rather not spend time I could
    be better using to build my business.

    Any suggestions?

    Thank you,
    Shawn

  2. Re: Quickbooks-like software for Linux?

    On 28 May 2004 06:51:57 -0700, Shawn Milo wrote:
    > I am starting up my own freelance writing business, and I'm going
    > to need some software to track and bill customers. I started
    > looking around, and it seems that Quickbooks (which I've never used),
    > does the kinds of things that I need.

    > Are there any alternatives for Linux? I'd really like to stick
    > with Linux and open-source as much as possible. Partially because
    > it seems that "professional" software for Windows is extremely
    > over-priced, and partially because I'd like to avoid
    > proprietary file formats.

    Check out GnuCash at gnucash.org. It's included with most "major"
    distros.
    --
    Registered Linux user #266531

  3. Re: Quickbooks-like software for Linux?

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 06:51:57 -0700 Shawn Milo scrawled this disquisition:

    > I am starting up my own freelance writing business, and I'm going to need
    > some software to track and bill customers. I started looking around, and
    > it seems that Quickbooks (which I've never used), does the kinds of things
    > that I need.
    >
    > Are there any alternatives for Linux?

    # apt-get install gnucash

    You might also drop by freshmeat.net; a search for "accounting" produced
    147 projects so you might find another suitable alternative

    > I am considering building my own with PHP and mySQL, as I am currently a
    > professional web developer. However, if there are good tools out there,
    > I'd rather not spend time I could be better using to build my business.

    The GNU/Linux community always appreciates contributions of functional
    software in any field. Redundancy isn't a problem ... just look at the
    number of text editors. Your Freshmeat search might produce a project to
    which you can contribute. If not we'll be looking for your announcement
    there :-)

    FS

+ Reply to Thread