repair tar file? - Help

This is a discussion on repair tar file? - Help ; Hi all, I'm running Mandrake 10 and installed tar-1.14 from cooker. I tried backing up a pc data card and though the size of the tar file says about 168M, I can only extract about 32M from the tar file. ...

  1. repair tar file?

    Hi all,

    I'm running Mandrake 10 and installed tar-1.14 from cooker. I tried
    backing up a pc data card and though the size of the tar file says about
    168M, I can only extract about 32M from the tar file. With tar-1.14, I
    get the following error where it stops:

    tar: .: implausibly old time stamp 1969-12-31 17:00:00

    I've tried using tar-1.13, tar-1.12, tar from solaris, cpio, and Winzip
    just for kicks but I can't seem to find any tools to see past that 32M
    point. Stupid me for not testing the tar archive before trashing the pc
    card.

    Does anyone know of any utility that I might be able to use to extract the
    entire tar file?

    Thank you very much in advance!

  2. Re: repair tar file?

    none wrote in message news:...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm running Mandrake 10 and installed tar-1.14 from cooker. I tried
    > backing up a pc data card and though the size of the tar file says about
    > 168M, I can only extract about 32M from the tar file. With tar-1.14, I
    > get the following error where it stops:
    >
    > tar: .: implausibly old time stamp 1969-12-31 17:00:00
    >
    > I've tried using tar-1.13, tar-1.12, tar from solaris, cpio, and Winzip
    > just for kicks but I can't seem to find any tools to see past that 32M
    > point. Stupid me for not testing the tar archive before trashing the pc
    > card.
    >
    > Does anyone know of any utility that I might be able to use to extract the
    > entire tar file?

    Can't say I've come across that problem. First things I'd try would be
    passing a few different flags to tar. You could, for example, try the
    -K flag to specify s start point. Another flag, -m, says "don't
    extract file modified time", perhaps that would work round it? Type
    "man tar" to see all the available options for tar.

  3. Re: repair tar file?

    Mattias Honrendgard wrote:

    > none wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I'm running Mandrake 10 and installed tar-1.14 from cooker. I tried
    >>backing up a pc data card and though the size of the tar file says about
    >>168M, I can only extract about 32M from the tar file. With tar-1.14, I
    >>get the following error where it stops:
    >>
    >>tar: .: implausibly old time stamp 1969-12-31 17:00:00
    >>
    >>I've tried using tar-1.13, tar-1.12, tar from solaris, cpio, and Winzip
    >>just for kicks but I can't seem to find any tools to see past that 32M
    >>point. Stupid me for not testing the tar archive before trashing the pc
    >>card.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know of any utility that I might be able to use to extract the
    >>entire tar file?

    > Can't say I've come across that problem. First things I'd try would be
    > passing a few different flags to tar. You could, for example, try the
    > -K flag to specify s start point. Another flag, -m, says "don't
    > extract file modified time", perhaps that would work round it? Type
    > "man tar" to see all the available options for tar.

    That date is actually Midnight Jan 1 1970 GMT.
    (Assuming you're in the US mountain time zone.???)

    Looks the the file has zero for one of the dates
    associated with it.

    --
    "It is impossible to make anything foolproof
    because fools are so ingenious"

+ Reply to Thread