Kernel Configs in configs/ directory - Help

This is a discussion on Kernel Configs in configs/ directory - Help ; All, The configs directory at the top level of a Linux kernel source tree (from a RedHat 9.0 RPM).... Do the *config files in this directory contain the ACTUAL configurations of the various precompiled kernels from Redhat? I'd like to ...

  1. Kernel Configs in configs/ directory

    All,

    The configs directory at the top level of a Linux kernel source tree
    (from a RedHat 9.0 RPM).... Do the *config files in this directory
    contain the ACTUAL configurations of the various precompiled kernels
    from Redhat?

    I'd like to make a change to the existing default kernel, but I'd like
    to start out with a config that reflects whats actually in the kernel
    rather than starting from scratch. If thats the case, I could just
    copy the relevant config file up one dir and make the change I want...
    and recompile, right?

    Thanks,
    Doug.

  2. Re: Kernel Configs in configs/ directory

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 00:17:27 -0700, Douglas Garstang wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > The configs directory at the top level of a Linux kernel source tree
    > (from a RedHat 9.0 RPM).... Do the *config files in this directory
    > contain the ACTUAL configurations of the various precompiled kernels
    > from Redhat?

    Basically, Yes

    > I'd like to make a change to the existing default kernel, but I'd like
    > to start out with a config that reflects whats actually in the kernel
    > rather than starting from scratch. If thats the case, I could just copy
    > the relevant config file up one dir and make the change I want... and
    > recompile, right?

    Then use the /boot/config- file, just copy and rename it;
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...om-kernel.html

    --
    "In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
    we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96

+ Reply to Thread