Linux emulator for Windows - Help

This is a discussion on Linux emulator for Windows - Help ; Hi, I am looking for a real Linux emulator for Windows. The idea is to remotely connect to a real Linux box from a pure windows machine, and be able to get into the whole Linux environment (bring the whole ...

  1. Linux emulator for Windows

    Hi,

    I am looking for a real Linux emulator for Windows. The idea is to
    remotely connect to a real Linux box from a pure windows machine, and
    be able to get into the whole Linux environment (bring the whole Linux
    desktop over). Your help and hint is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Lu

  2. Re: Linux emulator for Windows

    Lu wrote:

    > I am looking for a real Linux emulator for Windows. The idea is to
    > remotely connect to a real Linux box from a pure windows machine, and
    > be able to get into the whole Linux environment (bring the whole Linux
    > desktop over). Your help and hint is greatly appreciated.

    Hm. You're saying one thing, then describing another. A "Linux emulator"
    would mimic Linux on Windows, so you could run Linux programs on a Windows
    machine. To remotely connect to a Linux box and display its GUI on a
    Windows machine (which is what I presume youmean by "bring the whole Linux
    desktop over"), you need an X server or something else along those lines,
    like VNC.

    For a "Linux emulator", you could try Cygwin (www.cygwin.com).

    For an X server, Cygwin has a free one, and there are many commercial ones.

    For VNC, www.realvnc.com is a good place to start. You may need to install
    additional software (the vnc server) on the Linux end.

    --
    ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey
    /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
    |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

  3. Re: Linux emulator for Windows

    You don't want a "Linux emulator", you want a X server. There are a number
    of commercial and freeware X servers for Windows available. I've used the
    Cygwin X server and Reflection/X -- both of which work just fine. The
    Cygwin X server is free and an implementation of XFree86. Reflection/X is a
    commercial product.

    --
    remove .nospam from e-mail address to reply

  4. Re: Linux emulator for Windows

    Travis Casey wrote:

    > Lu wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking for a real Linux emulator for Windows. The idea is to
    >> remotely connect to a real Linux box from a pure windows machine, and
    >> be able to get into the whole Linux environment (bring the whole Linux
    >> desktop over). Your help and hint is greatly appreciated.

    > Hm. You're saying one thing, then describing another. A "Linux emulator"
    > would mimic Linux on Windows, so you could run Linux programs on a Windows
    > machine. To remotely connect to a Linux box and display its GUI on a
    > Windows machine (which is what I presume youmean by "bring the whole Linux
    > desktop over"), you need an X server or something else along those lines,
    > like VNC.
    >
    > For a "Linux emulator", you could try Cygwin (www.cygwin.com).
    >
    > For an X server, Cygwin has a free one, and there are many commercial
    > ones.
    >
    > For VNC, www.realvnc.com is a good place to start. You may need to
    > install additional software (the vnc server) on the Linux end.

    Yes, try VNC, works like a charm.
    I had my W$2000 box connected to my Redhat8, running a remote desktop within
    20 minutes.

    Once you are connected, start your favorite windowsmanager by just typing
    the startcommand, like gnome-session for the gnomedesktop.

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

  5. Re: Linux emulator for Windows

    Thanks for the correction, I did have confusion about the differences
    between emulator and X servers.

    I tried both VNC and Cygwin/X. They don't seem like what. Maybe I did
    not explore hard enough - I think VNC is for a particular user, and
    does not give the whole Linux desktop. Cygwin is a linux environment
    running under Windows OS.

    Let me state it more clearly here:
    I have a linux box running redhat 9. There are some user accounts on
    this box. I would like to set this box as a X server for windows so
    that any user can remotely access the linux box from a Windows
    machine. While a user connects to the server, the user should use his
    Linux user name and password to login. Then he should get the exact
    same environment (including the Gnome panel and vitual workspaces) as
    if he were in front of the linux box itself.

    This is the same concept as Citrix MetaFrame or rdesktop, but
    reversed. I wonder whether there is a software to configure both the
    linux as X server and windows machines as X server clients.

    Thanks a lot,

    Lu

  6. Re: Linux emulator for Windows

    On 27 May 2004 12:52:19 -0700, lsun91125@yahoo.com (Lu) wrote:

    >I would like to set this box as a X server for windows

    You have a slight misunderstanding here: the X server is on the
    client's machine[1], and the programs on your server are its clients.
    What you want is an X server that runs under Windows. HTH.

    [1]Counterintuitive, I know. In this case, the clients on the server
    make requests from the server on your machine for display, and the X
    server handles them.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  7. Re: Linux emulator for Windows

    lsun91125@yahoo.com (Lu) writes:

    > Thanks for the correction, I did have confusion about the differences
    > between emulator and X servers.
    >
    > I tried both VNC and Cygwin/X. They don't seem like what. Maybe I did
    > not explore hard enough - I think VNC is for a particular user, and
    > does not give the whole Linux desktop. Cygwin is a linux environment
    > running under Windows OS.
    >
    > Let me state it more clearly here:
    > I have a linux box running redhat 9. There are some user accounts on
    > this box. I would like to set this box as a X server for windows so
    > that any user can remotely access the linux box from a Windows
    > machine. While a user connects to the server, the user should use his
    > Linux user name and password to login. Then he should get the exact
    > same environment (including the Gnome panel and vitual workspaces) as
    > if he were in front of the linux box itself.
    >
    > This is the same concept as Citrix MetaFrame or rdesktop, but
    > reversed. I wonder whether there is a software to configure both the
    > linux as X server and windows machines as X server clients.

    VNC, then, is exactly what you want. You can easily arrange for the
    desktop presented in a VNC session to be the same environment as that
    presented on the physical console. Note, however, that a VNC session
    is a completely new and separate desktop from anything already running
    on the Linux box -- that is, multiple users can be using the machine
    via VNC, and yet another user can be using the machine via the
    physical console, and all of them will see distinct, independent
    desktop environments. This is different from the way VNC works on
    Windows, where it shows every user the same desktop that appears on
    the physical console.

    To make a user's VNC session have the same environment as his console
    session, ensure that his ~/.vnc/xstartup file contains the correct
    commands to start the session. Also, carefully read the VNC FAQ,
    especially this question:

    Having an X server (that is, an application that accepts
    display-manipulation requests from applications and converts those
    into screen artifacts) run on a Windows machine leads to a different
    environment: the "desktop" is just the Windows desktop, but the user
    can start programs on the Linux box and have all their display
    artifacts (windows, dialogs, etc) appear on the Windows machine. But X
    isn't what you want, is seems.

    Incidentally, apropos your original post, you can also run a PC
    emulator such as Bochs on Windows and
    install Linux on the emulated PC. In that case, you need an X server
    running on Windows in order to display applications running on the
    emulated Linux box. Kind of slow, but it works.

    Cheers,

    -- Joe

    --
    Resist the feed.