newbie's question on the prompt - Help

This is a discussion on newbie's question on the prompt - Help ; hi there: hope i am in the right place for this question. i have just started using linux and got a question on usgin the terminal. how do i get the prompt back after a process a failed? what i ...

  1. newbie's question on the prompt

    hi there:

    hope i am in the right place for this question.

    i have just started using linux and got a question on usgin the
    terminal. how do i get the prompt back after a process a failed? what
    i meant is that when i try to start a application for example, and
    there is a problem that the application won't start. the prompt in the
    terminal is gong after this and the only thing i can do is to close
    the current terminal and open a new one. is there a way to bring the
    prompt back in the same termainl window?

    manyt thanks

    yours

    CHUN

  2. Re: newbie's question on the prompt

    leechun@leechun.freeserve.co.uk (chun) wrote in message news:...
    > hi there:
    >
    > hope i am in the right place for this question.
    >
    > i have just started using linux and got a question on usgin the
    > terminal. how do i get the prompt back after a process a failed? what
    > i meant is that when i try to start a application for example, and
    > there is a problem that the application won't start. the prompt in the
    > terminal is gong after this and the only thing i can do is to close
    > the current terminal and open a new one. is there a way to bring the
    > prompt back in the same termainl window?

    Not sure what you mean by "after a process failed"? A failing process
    usually returns a failure code. Have you tried pressing the "return"
    key to get your prompt back? Perhaps the process *is* running, in
    which case ctrl-c may kill it and give you your prompt back. Then of
    course you could always run the program in the background.

    I think you're going to have to give more specific information on what
    you are doing before an accurate answer can be supplied.

  3. Re: newbie's question on the prompt

    chun wrote:

    > the current terminal and open a new one. is there a way to bring the
    > prompt back in the same termainl window?

    .... usu, just hitting the key is enough
    ..
    There's no real need to do housework -- after
    four years it doesn't get any worse.

  4. Re: newbie's question on the prompt

    Mattias Honrendgard sat down at the computer and pounded the following
    into the keyboard:

    > Not sure what you mean by "after a process failed"? A failing process
    > usually returns a failure code. Have you tried pressing the "return" key
    > to get your prompt back? Perhaps the process *is* running, in which case
    > ctrl-c may kill it and give you your prompt back. Then of course you could
    > always run the program in the background.
    >
    > I think you're going to have to give more specific information on what you
    > are doing before an accurate answer can be supplied.

    Just to add a little further clarity, if the process is still running but
    "hung," then CTRL-Z will usually suspend it. But if you don't learn
    process management, this will result in a lot of stalled tasks in the
    background.

    I suggest you google for "linux process management" or similar, and also
    try "man kill". Also, try starting applications with a & on them, as in:

    $ opera&

    ....which will return a prompt immediately.

    --
    \\\\\ ----> hedgie@hedgie.com <----
    \\\\\\\__o Bringing hedgehogs to the common folk since 1994.

    Visit http://www.hedgie.com for information on my latest book,
    "Waiting for War," published by Aventine Press!

+ Reply to Thread