Help setting up Samba - Help

This is a discussion on Help setting up Samba - Help ; I'm installing a Fedora Core 1 based machine into an existing network of Windows machines. The network configuration includes a number of Win 95, Win 98, Win NT, Win 2000, and Win XP machines. Many of the machines come and ...

  1. Help setting up Samba

    I'm installing a Fedora Core 1 based machine into an existing network
    of Windows machines. The network configuration includes a number of
    Win 95, Win 98, Win NT, Win 2000, and Win XP machines. Many of the
    machines come and go depending on current projects. The existing
    machines are all connected to a LinkSys Router configured as a DHCP
    server that, in turn, provides access to the Internet for all the
    machines. The network does not use either a WINS or DNS server,
    instead depending on broadcast name resolution.

    I installed Fedora from a DVD that came with "The Complete Reference,
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux & Fedora Edition", Osborne, RIchard Petersen
    and Ibrahim Haddad. The install went cleanly with no apparent events.

    From the new Fedora machine, F1, I can access the Internet via
    Mozilla, ping various Internet sites by name, etc. All seems well
    relative to the Internet. From F1 I'm able to
    ping the existing Win machines by IP address, I can not ping them by
    name (get an "unknown host" error message). Additionally, when I do a
    "net view" from the Win machines, I do not see F1, the Fedora machine.
    I am, however, able to ping it from any of the Win machines by IP.
    The Linksys DHCP active IP table shows all the machine names,
    including the Fedora F1 machine, and their IPs. I understand that this
    is expected behavior and thus believe that all is fundamentally well
    with the network configuration.

    I've installed Samba 3.0.2-7 and configured it with a test share as
    follows (smb.conf):

    [global]
    workgroup = cindy
    server string = Fedora 1 WS
    password server = None
    security = SHARE
    [test]
    comment = For testing only, please
    path = /usr/local/samba/tmp
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = yes

    I restart the Samba server using the redhat tool. The directory exist
    and has two test files cleverly named 'one' and 'two'.

    Subsequently, I can see the Fedora F1 machine on the network on WinXP
    and Win98 machines from either 'net view' or by browsing out of
    explorer. When I attempt to access the share on XP with explorer I
    get an error "\\F1 is not accessible." I get similar errors on the
    Win98 machines.

    On all the machines I've created a login account with the same name
    and password.

    This is all new ground for me, and I'm unsure how to proceed. Based
    on what I've read, I think that at this point I should be able to see
    and access the 'test' share. Can anyone point me toward what I've
    done wrong or provide any clues for diagnosing the problem?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Help setting up Samba

    Richard Bell wrote:
    > I'm installing a Fedora Core 1 based machine into an existing network
    > of Windows machines. The network configuration includes a number of
    > Win 95, Win 98, Win NT, Win 2000, and Win XP machines. Many of the
    > machines come and go depending on current projects. The existing
    > machines are all connected to a LinkSys Router configured as a DHCP
    > server that, in turn, provides access to the Internet for all the
    > machines. The network does not use either a WINS or DNS server,
    > instead depending on broadcast name resolution.
    >
    > I installed Fedora from a DVD that came with "The Complete Reference,
    > Red Hat Enterprise Linux & Fedora Edition", Osborne, RIchard Petersen
    > and Ibrahim Haddad. The install went cleanly with no apparent events.
    >
    > From the new Fedora machine, F1, I can access the Internet via
    > Mozilla, ping various Internet sites by name, etc. All seems well
    > relative to the Internet. From F1 I'm able to
    > ping the existing Win machines by IP address, I can not ping them by
    > name (get an "unknown host" error message). Additionally, when I do a
    > "net view" from the Win machines, I do not see F1, the Fedora machine.
    > I am, however, able to ping it from any of the Win machines by IP.
    > The Linksys DHCP active IP table shows all the machine names,
    > including the Fedora F1 machine, and their IPs. I understand that this
    > is expected behavior and thus believe that all is fundamentally well
    > with the network configuration.
    >
    > I've installed Samba 3.0.2-7 and configured it with a test share as
    > follows (smb.conf):
    >
    > [global]
    > workgroup = cindy
    > server string = Fedora 1 WS
    > password server = None
    > security = SHARE
    > [test]
    > comment = For testing only, please
    > path = /usr/local/samba/tmp
    > writeable = yes
    > guest ok = yes
    >
    > I restart the Samba server using the redhat tool. The directory exist
    > and has two test files cleverly named 'one' and 'two'.
    >
    > Subsequently, I can see the Fedora F1 machine on the network on WinXP
    > and Win98 machines from either 'net view' or by browsing out of
    > explorer. When I attempt to access the share on XP with explorer I
    > get an error "\\F1 is not accessible." I get similar errors on the
    > Win98 machines.
    >
    > On all the machines I've created a login account with the same name
    > and password.
    >
    > This is all new ground for me, and I'm unsure how to proceed. Based
    > on what I've read, I think that at this point I should be able to see
    > and access the 'test' share. Can anyone point me toward what I've
    > done wrong or provide any clues for diagnosing the problem?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Two things,

    1) From the Samba help webpage that comes with SWAT, it appears that if
    you have a share defined with "guest ok = yes" (as your TEST share
    is), you need to ensure that you have a proper guest account (guest
    account = ) defined.

    2) While you defined your TEST share as "guest ok = yes", you haven't
    defined the entire server as "guest ok = yes". So, an attempt to
    access the root share will be validated against the server's
    smbpasswd rules. Have you added your winXP account to smbpasswd?

    - --

    Lew Pitcher, IT Consultant, Enterprise Application Architecture

  3. Re: Help setting up Samba

    Lew,

    I used smbpasswd and made sure that my XP username and password were
    established for Samba. Nothing changed.

    I'm rather new to Linux and am not entirely sure what a proper guest
    account is. Currently the Fedora machine has an account for a single
    user with a user name and password that is also used to log onto the
    various Win systems. What more should I do?

    Thanks for your quick response.

    Richard

    >1) From the Samba help webpage that comes with SWAT, it appears that if
    > you have a share defined with "guest ok = yes" (as your TEST share
    > is), you need to ensure that you have a proper guest account (guest
    > account = ) defined.
    >
    >2) While you defined your TEST share as "guest ok = yes", you haven't
    > defined the entire server as "guest ok = yes". So, an attempt to
    > access the root share will be validated against the server's
    > smbpasswd rules. Have you added your winXP account to smbpasswd?

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 11:05:18 -0400, Lew Pitcher
    wrote:

> [...]
    >>
    >> This is all new ground for me, and I'm unsure how to proceed. Based
    >> on what I've read, I think that at this point I should be able to see
    >> and access the 'test' share. Can anyone point me toward what I've
    >> done wrong or provide any clues for diagnosing the problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >Two things,
    >
    >1) From the Samba help webpage that comes with SWAT, it appears that if
    > you have a share defined with "guest ok = yes" (as your TEST share
    > is), you need to ensure that you have a proper guest account (guest
    > account = ) defined.
    >
    >2) While you defined your TEST share as "guest ok = yes", you haven't
    > defined the entire server as "guest ok = yes". So, an attempt to
    > access the root share will be validated against the server's
    > smbpasswd rules. Have you added your winXP account to smbpasswd?

+ Reply to Thread