problem extracting from tar - Help

This is a discussion on problem extracting from tar - Help ; I'm using RedHat 2.1AS. If I make a backup cron that runs this script: #! /bin/bash tar -czf /var/backup/liamback.tgz /home/liam/* It works fine. And when I set it up to do an incremental like this: #! /bin/bash tar czf /var/backup/liamback.tgz ...

  1. problem extracting from tar

    I'm using RedHat 2.1AS.
    If I make a backup cron that runs this script:

    #! /bin/bash
    tar -czf /var/backup/liamback.tgz /home/liam/*

    It works fine. And when I set it up to do an incremental like this:

    #! /bin/bash
    tar czf /var/backup/liamback.tgz --listed-incremental /home/liam/*

    It seems to work too. At least, I get no errors and the size of
    /var/backup/liamback.tgz changes.

    Now the problem is when I try to extract:
    # tar -xf liamback.tgz
    (or I use -xvf)
    nothing seems to happen. I get a shell prompt with no comments even
    when I use "v". And, nothing changes in the files. For example, if I
    run the scripts, delete a couple of files, and then try to extract,
    those files don't come back.

    If I "# tar -t filename.tgz" it just sits there doing nothing and I
    have to kill the job.

    What's going on? Am I missing something? Reading MAN tar I don't see
    anything special I need to do to extract.
    Any pointers or clue-by-fours much appreciated! =)
    Thanks,
    Liam

  2. Re: problem extracting from tar

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:57:46 -0700 LRW scrawled this disquisition:

    > Now the problem is when I try to extract: # tar -xf liamback.tgz
    > (or I use -xvf)
    > nothing seems to happen. I get a shell prompt with no comments even when I
    > use "v". And, nothing changes in the files. For example, if I run the
    > scripts, delete a couple of files, and then try to extract, those files
    > don't come back.
    >
    > If I "# tar -t filename.tgz" it just sits there doing nothing and I have
    > to kill the job.

    You didn't tell tar the file was compressed...

    tar -xvzf liamback.tgz

    tar -tzf liamback.tgz

    FS

  3. Re: problem extracting from tar

    Friendly wrote in message news:<9aa8acf0829191ab9ef8fb4cd0908629@news.teranews.com>...

    > You didn't tell tar the file was compressed...

    :::thumps head against table:::
    OMG. I'm an idiot!
    Thanks for the clue-by-four. =)

+ Reply to Thread