Linksys WPC11 v3.0 config - Help

This is a discussion on Linksys WPC11 v3.0 config - Help ; I have used linux in the past, but only with RedHat and wired network cards. I have just installed SuSE 9.1 Personal Edition and haven't a clue on how to configure my wireless network card to connect to my lan. ...

  1. Linksys WPC11 v3.0 config

    I have used linux in the past, but only with RedHat and wired network
    cards. I have just installed SuSE 9.1 Personal Edition and haven't a clue
    on how to configure my wireless network card to connect to my lan. I have
    downloaded/installed Kwifimanager for SuSE and the OS recognizes my
    wireless card on startup and in the program. I have excellent signal
    strength, but cannot figure out how to or where to enter the network
    passcode and how to have it actually connect to my WAP. Please help so
    that I can get rid of windows.

  2. Re: Linksys WPC11 v3.0 config

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:19:37 +0000, Patrick Montgomery wrote:

    > I have used linux in the past, but only with RedHat and wired network
    > cards. I have just installed SuSE 9.1 Personal Edition and haven't a clue
    > on how to configure my wireless network card to connect to my lan. I have
    > downloaded/installed Kwifimanager for SuSE and the OS recognizes my
    > wireless card on startup and in the program. I have excellent signal
    > strength, but cannot figure out how to or where to enter the network
    > passcode and how to have it actually connect to my WAP. Please help so
    > that I can get rid of windows.

    You need to fire up Control Center > Yast2 modules > Network Devices >
    Network Card > and then either "Configure" or "Change" depending upon
    whether your card is in the top section or the bottom section.

  3. Re: Linksys WPC11 v3.0 config

    Mike Tuthill wrote in
    newsan.2004.05.17.02.13.03.74220@shaw.ca:

    > On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:19:37 +0000, Patrick Montgomery wrote:
    >
    >> I have used linux in the past, but only with RedHat and wired network
    >> cards. I have just installed SuSE 9.1 Personal Edition and haven't a
    >> clue on how to configure my wireless network card to connect to my
    >> lan. I have downloaded/installed Kwifimanager for SuSE and the OS
    >> recognizes my wireless card on startup and in the program. I have
    >> excellent signal strength, but cannot figure out how to or where to
    >> enter the network passcode and how to have it actually connect to my
    >> WAP. Please help so that I can get rid of windows.

    > You need to fire up Control Center > Yast2 modules > Network Devices >
    > Network Card > and then either "Configure" or "Change" depending upon
    > whether your card is in the top section or the bottom section.

    Thanks for that info. I do now have the network talking and I have been
    able to setup printing, but now I can't communicate to the internet. I
    believe that has something to do with the proxy. I am not running a
    proxy and every time I try to disable the proxy, save changes and come
    back in, it is set to look for a proxy server. Any suggestions on how to
    disable the proxy service so that I can see the internet?

  4. Re: Linksys WPC11 v3.0 config

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 16:26:53 +0000, Patrick Montgomery wrote:

    > Mike Tuthill wrote in
    > newsan.2004.05.17.02.13.03.74220@shaw.ca:
    >
    >> On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:19:37 +0000, Patrick Montgomery wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have used linux in the past, but only with RedHat and wired network
    >>> cards. I have just installed SuSE 9.1 Personal Edition and haven't a
    >>> clue on how to configure my wireless network card to connect to my lan.
    >>> I have downloaded/installed Kwifimanager for SuSE and the OS recognizes
    >>> my wireless card on startup and in the program. I have excellent
    >>> signal strength, but cannot figure out how to or where to enter the
    >>> network passcode and how to have it actually connect to my WAP. Please
    >>> help so that I can get rid of windows.

    >> You need to fire up Control Center > Yast2 modules > Network Devices >
    >> Network Card > and then either "Configure" or "Change" depending upon
    >> whether your card is in the top section or the bottom section.
    >>

    > Thanks for that info. I do now have the network talking and I have been
    > able to setup printing, but now I can't communicate to the internet. I
    > believe that has something to do with the proxy. I am not running a proxy
    > and every time I try to disable the proxy, save changes and come back in,
    > it is set to look for a proxy server. Any suggestions on how to disable
    > the proxy service so that I can see the internet?

    Have you set your card to use DHCP? I don't, and have never used, a proxy
    so I'm not really up on how they work in Linux. Perhaps someone else can
    help you with that. AFAIK turning off proxy and setting DHCP on should
    get you on the net assuming your router is accepting the connection with
    the card. Personally, I set mine to accept only the MAC addresses of the
    wireless cards in my network and that seems to work well (however, this
    laptop is the only one I use Linux on but that shouldn't make any
    difference).

    One caveat. I ran into problems with online updates causing the wireless
    connection to stop working (did it to me twice) so I'd be awful
    selective above what you update. I think the culprit may be the
    kernal updates but I'm not sure.

    Good luck.

  5. Re: Linksys WPC11 v3.0 config

    Mike Tuthill wrote in
    newsan.2004.05.18.01.59.09.329979@shaw.ca:

    > On Mon, 17 May 2004 16:26:53 +0000, Patrick Montgomery wrote:

    > Have you set your card to use DHCP? I don't, and have never used, a
    > proxy so I'm not really up on how they work in Linux. Perhaps someone
    > else can help you with that. AFAIK turning off proxy and setting DHCP
    > on should get you on the net assuming your router is accepting the
    > connection with the card. Personally, I set mine to accept only the
    > MAC addresses of the wireless cards in my network and that seems to
    > work well (however, this laptop is the only one I use Linux on but
    > that shouldn't make any difference).
    >
    > One caveat. I ran into problems with online updates causing the
    > wireless connection to stop working (did it to me twice) so I'd be
    > awful selective above what you update. I think the culprit may be the
    > kernal updates but I'm not sure.
    >
    > Good luck.

    Thanks again Mike. I know that I have set the wireless card to use DHCP
    and I know that the MAC address is programmed into my router because I
    use the same NIC for my WindowsXP(dual boot laptop). I might look into
    disabling NIS to see if that may be causing a problem. I don't think that
    I need NIS and on previous machines with RedHat, I never used it and
    didn't have any trouble with internet surfing. I will post once I have
    had a chance to look into it.

    Thanks Again,
    Patrick

  6. Re: Linksys WPC11 v3.0 config

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 05:08:28 +0000, Patrick Montgomery wrote:

    > Mike Tuthill wrote in
    > newsan.2004.05.18.01.59.09.329979@shaw.ca:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 May 2004 16:26:53 +0000, Patrick Montgomery wrote:

    >> Have you set your card to use DHCP? I don't, and have never used, a
    >> proxy so I'm not really up on how they work in Linux. Perhaps someone
    >> else can help you with that. AFAIK turning off proxy and setting DHCP
    >> on should get you on the net assuming your router is accepting the
    >> connection with the card. Personally, I set mine to accept only the MAC
    >> addresses of the wireless cards in my network and that seems to work
    >> well (however, this laptop is the only one I use Linux on but that
    >> shouldn't make any difference).
    >>
    >> One caveat. I ran into problems with online updates causing the
    >> wireless connection to stop working (did it to me twice) so I'd be awful
    >> selective above what you update. I think the culprit may be the kernal
    >> updates but I'm not sure.
    >>
    >> Good luck.
    >>

    > Thanks again Mike. I know that I have set the wireless card to use DHCP
    > and I know that the MAC address is programmed into my router because I use
    > the same NIC for my WindowsXP(dual boot laptop). I might look into
    > disabling NIS to see if that may be causing a problem. I don't think that
    > I need NIS and on previous machines with RedHat, I never used it and
    > didn't have any trouble with internet surfing. I will post once I have
    > had a chance to look into it.
    >
    > Thanks Again,
    > Patrick

    If by NIS you mean Norton Internet Security then that isn't your problem
    as it is a software only firewall and only affects our Win OS. The
    router has a hardware firewall. A couple more things to try:

    1. Go into the router setup and in Advanced - Filters make sure that the
    bottom 4 selections are disabled.

    2. Try putting the Routing address in manually in the Yast Control Center.

  7. Re: Linksys WPC11 v3.0 config

    Mike Tuthill wrote in
    newsan.2004.05.18.23.48.17.632458@shaw.ca:

    > If by NIS you mean Norton Internet Security then that isn't your
    > problem as it is a software only firewall and only affects our Win OS.
    > The router has a hardware firewall. A couple more things to try:
    >
    > 1. Go into the router setup and in Advanced - Filters make sure that
    > the bottom 4 selections are disabled.
    >
    > 2. Try putting the Routing address in manually in the Yast Control
    > Center.

    Actually by NIS, I meant Network Information Service. What I came to
    realize the next time I booted into Linux was that the internet was now
    accessable. I think all I needed to do was to restart network services to
    get full access working. It is now working great and I do appreciate all
    the helpfull tips.

    Hopefully someone else working on these issues will find this thread
    helpfull and allow them to get their systems up and running.

    Thanks again,
    Patrick

+ Reply to Thread