When setting up a multi-OS system, do you install a partition manager? - Help

This is a discussion on When setting up a multi-OS system, do you install a partition manager? - Help ; As opposed to using the partition manager as a tool? I'm confused because all the partition managers I've looked at can only be run on one computer. Once the partitions are created, is the partition mgr deleted? Thank you...

  1. When setting up a multi-OS system, do you install a partition manager?

    As opposed to using the partition manager as a tool? I'm confused because all
    the partition managers I've looked at can only be run on one computer. Once the
    partitions are created, is the partition mgr deleted?

    Thank you

  2. Re: When setting up a multi-OS system, do you install a partition manager?

    "Richard L. Dery" wrote in message news:...
    > As opposed to using the partition manager as a tool? I'm confused because all
    > the partition managers I've looked at can only be run on one computer. Once the
    > partitions are created, is the partition mgr deleted?

    Can't say I understand what you're trying to ask, but I just use a CD
    with a partition manager on. Works on just about any computer.

    http://www.sysresccd.org/

    Other than that I use gparted, which never gets deleted :/

    Unless you're talking about a bootloader?

    Take a look at these links anyway:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

  3. Re: When setting up a multi-OS system, do you install a partition manager?

    Richard L. Dery wrote:

    > As opposed to using the partition manager as a tool? I'm confused
    > because all the partition managers I've looked at can only be run on
    > one computer. Once the partitions are created, is the partition mgr
    > deleted?
    >
    > Thank you

    You only need a partition manager if you need to create a new partition
    out of an existing one that has files on it. The ordinary partitioning
    tool used by both linux and windows is fdisk (and variants of it) but
    it partitions destructively, that is, it deletes all the files on the
    partition that it alters.

    A partition manager will shrink a partition non-destructively (assuming
    that there is sufficient empty space to carve out) and once it has done
    its job it is no longer needed.

    But why buy a partition manager.

    If you want to install linux, simply acquire a copy of the current
    edition of Mandrake and install it. Mandrake's installer will
    non-destructively shrink a windows partition (including the NTFS
    partition used by Win2000 and WinXP) to whatever size you specify
    (again assuming that the partition has that much empty space) and will
    then further partition the carved out space for your linux install.

    I assume that other current linux distributions have the same capability
    but you will have to check for yourself.

    Clive

  4. Re: When setting up a multi-OS system, do you install a partition manager?

    On 2004-05-16, Mattias Honrendgard wrote:
    > "Richard L. Dery" wrote in message news:...
    >> As opposed to using the partition manager as a tool? I'm confused because all
    >> the partition managers I've looked at can only be run on one computer. Once the
    >> partitions are created, is the partition mgr deleted?

    > Can't say I understand what you're trying to ask, but I just use a CD
    > with a partition manager on. Works on just about any computer.

    I'm wondering about the legality of installing Partition Magic (and similar
    software) to a CD and using it on more than one computer. From what I had
    read up to the time of my original post I had the impression that PM could
    only be installed(and used) on a single computer, which would make it useless
    for what I would like to do. I have since discovered Qparted, on my Knoppix
    disk, which is just the thing I'm looking for.

    Thank you for your suggestion of gparted, and for your reply.

    Dick Dery

  5. Re: When setting up a multi-OS system, do you install a partition manager?

    On 2004-05-16, Clive Dove wrote:

    >>You only need a partition manager if you need to create a new partition

    > out of an existing one that has files on it. The ordinary partitioning
    > tool used by both linux and windows is fdisk (and variants of it) but
    > it partitions destructively, that is, it deletes all the files on the
    > partition that it alters.
    >
    > A partition manager will shrink a partition non-destructively (assuming
    > that there is sufficient empty space to carve out) and once it has done
    > its job it is no longer needed.
    >
    > But why buy a partition manager.

    My original post was about the legality of installing a commercial partitioning
    tool such as Partition Magic to a CD or floppy and using it to repartition
    disks on more than one computer. All the reading I had done to that point
    indicated that PM could only be used on a single computer. I was merely
    seeking verification. Further research(on www.linuxmafia.com) confirms my
    initial impression.
    Since my original post I've done some more looking and have discovered
    that there exists a collection of NTFS resizing tools called ntfstools
    that is available on my Knoppix disk. I suspect it is the same tool used
    by Mandrake and SuSe distributions. Another respondent mentioned gparted,
    and Debian testing has qparted. Either of these should be just what I
    want.

    Thank you for your reply.

    Dick Dery

    that may be just what I need.