Problem with apropos - Help

This is a discussion on Problem with apropos - Help ; I'm experimenting with writing my own man pages. They are in the subdirectory "doc/man/man3" off my home directory, and I have set MANPATH to ":/home/paul/doc/man". (The leading colon causes the default paths to be retained). man works as expected, retrieving ...

  1. Problem with apropos

    I'm experimenting with writing my own man pages.

    They are in the subdirectory "doc/man/man3" off my home directory, and
    I have set MANPATH to ":/home/paul/doc/man". (The leading colon
    causes the default paths to be retained).

    man works as expected, retrieving my pages by their file names.

    However man -k (or apropos) do not find the words after the hyphen in
    the name section, as they do for the standard man pages.

    Does this indicate a problem with the way my pages are formatted,
    or must I run some utility to enable man to find the terms?

    There is no file named "whatis" in my man directory, as there are for
    the others in the system.

    Perhaps related: My system is Mandrake. The life preserver icon in
    the task bar brings up Konquerer and allows one to read man pages,
    info pages, and other documentation. I'm delighted to see that my own
    man pages are listed alphabetically among the others. However, again,
    the rest of the name section does not appear next to the names, only
    the name repeated in the right column. There are many other cases
    of this, and it will occur when a man page covers more than one
    function. But my man pages don't (yet).

    Thank you for your help!

    Thank you!

  2. Re: Problem with apropos

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:11:26 -0400 Paul Emmons scrawled this disquisition:

    > However man -k (or apropos) do not find the words after the hyphen in the
    > name section, as they do for the standard man pages.
    >
    > Does this indicate a problem with the way my pages are formatted, or must
    > I run some utility to enable man to find the terms?

    man 8 mandb

    FS

+ Reply to Thread