Redhat ES 2.1 file size limitation - Help

This is a discussion on Redhat ES 2.1 file size limitation - Help ; I am quite new to linux. I have purchased and installed Redhat ES 2.1. I have successfully installed oracle 8.1.7 and have a test database running. When I attempt to copy my production database to this server all files copy ...

  1. Redhat ES 2.1 file size limitation

    I am quite new to linux. I have purchased and installed Redhat ES 2.1.
    I have successfully installed oracle 8.1.7 and have a test database
    running. When I attempt to copy my production database to this server
    all files copy properly except three (3) dbf files that are larger
    than 4 Gb. I have talked to Redhat support and they have told me to
    edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add the line "fs file-max=xxx where xxx is
    the value you want to set. I have set it to 1000000000 and I still
    cannot copy in a file larger than 4 Gb. Any ideas?? I would think that
    ES 2.1 would handle any file size.
    Hardware -
    dual 3.2 Ghz Xeon CPU
    4 Gb DDR ram
    80 Gb IDE drive (holding OS)
    2 35 Gb Raid arrays (for oracle)
    1 75 Gb Raid array (for oracle)
    Thanks in advance.
    Chuck

  2. Re: Redhat ES 2.1 file size limitation

    Chuck Witt sat down at the computer and pounded the following into the
    keyboard:

    > I am quite new to linux. I have purchased and installed Redhat ES 2.1. I
    > have successfully installed oracle 8.1.7 and have a test database running.
    > When I attempt to copy my production database to this server all files
    > copy properly except three (3) dbf files that are larger than 4 Gb. I have
    > talked to Redhat support and they have told me to edit /etc/sysctl.conf
    > and add the line "fs file-max=xxx where xxx is the value you want to set.
    > I have set it to 1000000000 and I still cannot copy in a file larger than
    > 4 Gb. Any ideas?? I would think that ES 2.1 would handle any file size.

    I have never messed with >4GB files, so I can't solve the problem, but I
    can point out the obvious:

    1000000000 == 1,000,000,000 ~= one gibabyte.

    Try

    fs file-max=10000000000

    --
    \\\\\ ----> hedgehog@hedgie.com <----
    \\\\\\\__o Bringing hedgehogs to the common folk since 1994.

    Visit http://www.hedgie.com for information on my latest book,
    "Waiting for War," published by Aventine Press!

+ Reply to Thread