Upgrade to Mandrake 10 - Help

This is a discussion on Upgrade to Mandrake 10 - Help ; I am running Mandrake 9.2 at the moment.I am considering upgrading to Mandrake 10. Is it possible to perform the upgrade by using VNC remotely and if so how do you start the upgrade from the CD once Mandrake is ...

  1. Upgrade to Mandrake 10

    I am running Mandrake 9.2 at the moment.I am considering upgrading to
    Mandrake 10.

    Is it possible to perform the upgrade by using VNC remotely and if so how do
    you start the upgrade from the CD once Mandrake is running and I have loged
    on to the box through VNC?

  2. Re: Upgrade to Mandrake 10

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 10:47:12 +0100, Paul wrote:
    > I am running Mandrake 9.2 at the moment.I am considering upgrading to
    > Mandrake 10.

    > Is it possible to perform the upgrade by using VNC remotely and if so how do
    > you start the upgrade from the CD once Mandrake is running and I have loged
    > on to the box through VNC?

    Don't even try. In Windoze, major version upgrades, like Win98 > XP or
    in Linux, full number upgrades like 9.2 > 10.0 can go badly. You'll
    probably get much better results in either case with clean installs.

    --
    Registered Linux user #266531

  3. Re: Upgrade to Mandrake 10

    Crashdamage <03z1krd7@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 13 May 2004 10:47:12 +0100, Paul wrote:
    > > I am running Mandrake 9.2 at the moment.I am considering upgrading to
    > > Mandrake 10.

    > > Is it possible to perform the upgrade by using VNC remotely and if so how do
    > > you start the upgrade from the CD once Mandrake is running and I have loged
    > > on to the box through VNC?

    > Don't even try. In Windoze, major version upgrades, like Win98 > XP or
    > in Linux, full number upgrades like 9.2 > 10.0 can go badly. You'll
    > probably get much better results in either case with clean installs.

    Thats a bit of a generalisation. An upgrade from Slackware 8.1 to 9.1
    is pretty straight forward. I think the Debian crowd may also have a
    chip to throw in. Sure, if you're not sure what you're doing a fresh
    install is going to be quicker, but then you miss out on all the fun
    ;-)

    It is possible with Mandrake as well. Mandrake 10's installer update
    feature will update a 9.2 box just fine, but of course that means
    being in front of the box. If you're going via VNC to a machine
    several miles away, you're going to have to upgrade the packages
    manually. I'm not a major mandrake user so I can't tell you the exact
    steps to updating all the rpms and rpm database, but I'm sure many
    people in the mandrake community will be able to help

    So at the end of the day, I'd say give it a go. The worst that can
    happen is that you'll learn a bunch of stuff!

  4. Re: Upgrade to Mandrake 10

    Mattias Honrendgard sat down at the computer and pounded the following
    into the keyboard:

    > So at the end of the day, I'd say give it a go. The worst that can happen
    > is that you'll learn a bunch of stuff!

    I'd agree, it can be done without too much hassle. Standard disclaimer to
    backup /home and any other important data structures prior to upgrading.
    Even if the installer isn't going to much with the /home directory at all,
    if things go wrong you may get drunk out of frustration, then repartition
    the drive without thinking about your data.[1]

    But before I advised upgrading from 9.2 to 10, I'd have to ask "why?" If
    there's something very specific in 10 that you want, you can just install
    that package and save some trouble. If you're happy with 9.2, well, this
    isn't Windows -- you don't need to upgrade every time a new version comes
    out. If you wanted bleeding edge, you probably shouldn't be on Mandrake
    anyway. If you want to run 2.6.x kernel, they work fine under 9.2
    (I've got a laptop with that configuration). The only reason I can
    imagine for upgrading from 9.2 to 10 would be if there were a large number
    of 10 features that you want, and it's easier to reinstall than upgrade
    them individually -- which may be the case, I'm just curious.

    --
    \\\\\ ----> hedgehog@hedgie.com <----
    \\\\\\\__o Bringing hedgehogs to the common folk since 1994.

    Visit http://www.hedgie.com for information on my latest book,
    "Waiting for War," published by Aventine Press!

    [1] Trust me on this one.

  5. Re: Upgrade to Mandrake 10

    I just wanted to try mandrake 10 out,but from what I've read it seems not to
    be a good idea just yet anyway.I don't really need to have bleeding edge
    particularly,I will stick with 9.2.

    I've installed Linux in the past,but not sat down and got my hands dirty
    with it until now so will stick with 9.2 for now :-)

    "Jimmy Brokaw" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.05.13.22.03.06.35016@hedgie.com...
    > Mattias Honrendgard sat down at the computer and pounded the following
    > into the keyboard:
    >
    > > So at the end of the day, I'd say give it a go. The worst that can

    happen
    > > is that you'll learn a bunch of stuff!

    > I'd agree, it can be done without too much hassle. Standard disclaimer to
    > backup /home and any other important data structures prior to upgrading.
    > Even if the installer isn't going to much with the /home directory at all,
    > if things go wrong you may get drunk out of frustration, then repartition
    > the drive without thinking about your data.[1]
    >
    > But before I advised upgrading from 9.2 to 10, I'd have to ask "why?" If
    > there's something very specific in 10 that you want, you can just install
    > that package and save some trouble. If you're happy with 9.2, well, this
    > isn't Windows -- you don't need to upgrade every time a new version comes
    > out. If you wanted bleeding edge, you probably shouldn't be on Mandrake
    > anyway. If you want to run 2.6.x kernel, they work fine under 9.2
    > (I've got a laptop with that configuration). The only reason I can
    > imagine for upgrading from 9.2 to 10 would be if there were a large number
    > of 10 features that you want, and it's easier to reinstall than upgrade
    > them individually -- which may be the case, I'm just curious.
    >
    > --
    > \\\\\ ----> hedgehog@hedgie.com <----
    > \\\\\\\__o Bringing hedgehogs to the common folk since 1994.
    > __\\\\\\\'/__________________________________________________ ______
    >
    > Visit http://www.hedgie.com for information on my latest book,
    > "Waiting for War," published by Aventine Press!
    >
    > [1] Trust me on this one.

  6. Re: Upgrade to Mandrake 10

    Well Mandrake 10 has Kernel 2.6 with additional features. Reports
    suggests there are speed enhancements with 2.6 for a lot of
    applications--depends on what you use, though. As they say
    Mandrakelinux 10.0 features the following software:
    Kernel 2.6.3
    XFree86 4.3
    Glibc 2.3.3 with Native POSIX Threads Library (NPTL) support
    GCC 3.3.2
    Apache 2.0.48, Samba 3.0.2, MySQL 4.0.18
    ProFTPD 1.2.9, Postfix 2.0.18, OpenSSH 3.6.1p2
    KDE 3.2, GNOME 2.4.2, IceWM 1.2.13
    OpenOffice.org 1.1, KOffice 1.3, Gnumeric 1.2.6
    Mozilla 1.6, The GIMP 1.2.5, XMMS 1.2.9

    A good place to get the mandrake 10 CDs would be
    http://www.OSdepot.com --they're selling them for $6.95 I think.

    "Paul" wrote in message news:<2ASoc.28772$Wg5.3411@pathologist.blueyonder.net>...
    > I just wanted to try mandrake 10 out,but from what I've read it seems not to
    > be a good idea just yet anyway.I don't really need to have bleeding edge
    > particularly,I will stick with 9.2.
    >
    > I've installed Linux in the past,but not sat down and got my hands dirty
    > with it until now so will stick with 9.2 for now :-)
    >
    > "Jimmy Brokaw" wrote in message
    > newsan.2004.05.13.22.03.06.35016@hedgie.com...
    > > Mattias Honrendgard sat down at the computer and pounded the following
    > > into the keyboard:
    > >
    > > > So at the end of the day, I'd say give it a go. The worst that can

    > happen
    > > > is that you'll learn a bunch of stuff!

    > > I'd agree, it can be done without too much hassle. Standard disclaimer to
    > > backup /home and any other important data structures prior to upgrading.
    > > Even if the installer isn't going to much with the /home directory at all,
    > > if things go wrong you may get drunk out of frustration, then repartition
    > > the drive without thinking about your data.[1]
    > >
    > > But before I advised upgrading from 9.2 to 10, I'd have to ask "why?" If
    > > there's something very specific in 10 that you want, you can just install
    > > that package and save some trouble. If you're happy with 9.2, well, this
    > > isn't Windows -- you don't need to upgrade every time a new version comes
    > > out. If you wanted bleeding edge, you probably shouldn't be on Mandrake
    > > anyway. If you want to run 2.6.x kernel, they work fine under 9.2
    > > (I've got a laptop with that configuration). The only reason I can
    > > imagine for upgrading from 9.2 to 10 would be if there were a large number
    > > of 10 features that you want, and it's easier to reinstall than upgrade
    > > them individually -- which may be the case, I'm just curious.
    > >
    > > --
    > > \\\\\ ----> hedgehog@hedgie.com <----
    > > \\\\\\\__o Bringing hedgehogs to the common folk since 1994.
    > >
    > > Visit http://www.hedgie.com for information on my latest book,
    > > "Waiting for War," published by Aventine Press!
    > >
    > > [1] Trust me on this one.

+ Reply to Thread