Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response - Help

This is a discussion on Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response - Help ; Asking this is probably a complete waste of time, but I'm out of things to try on my own. I'm running MDK 10.0 Official. I download the 2.6.6 linux kernel source code and compiled my own kernel. I have an ...

  1. Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    Asking this is probably a complete waste of time, but I'm out of
    things to try on my own.

    I'm running MDK 10.0 Official. I download the 2.6.6 linux kernel
    source code and compiled my own kernel.

    I have an AGP NVidia 5700 Ultra GeForce FX and an NVidia PCI GeForce
    FX 5200.

    I downloaded the latest video drivers from NVidia and installed them
    against my 2.6.6 kernel source code.

    I have a dual head setup. (Xinerama) The AGP NVidia card is for my
    main video, the PCI is for my secondary. Both of my screens are 17"
    Hitachi CML174SX DVI LCD panels.

    The problem - my desktop is unGodly "slow". (I realize the word slow
    is probably technically incorrect so I put slow in quotation marks to
    emphasize that it's just how it feels.)

    Resizing windows, dragging windows from one point to another,
    scrolling, etc... the screen redraws are agonizingly slow. Of course
    - when I'm in Windows XP, everything is ultra responsive - without
    making a single effort to tweak anything. Using Windows isn't really
    an option, but this massive slow down I'm experiencing with Linux is
    going to make me go postal.

    So if you have any ideas - please let me know, thanks.

  2. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    blixel@yahoo.com (David) wrote in message news:<518783f3.0405110612.38451612@posting.google.com>...
    > Asking this is probably a complete waste of time, but I'm out of
    > things to try on my own.
    >
    > I'm running MDK 10.0 Official. I download the 2.6.6 linux kernel
    > source code and compiled my own kernel.
    >
    > The problem - my desktop is unGodly "slow". (I realize the word slow
    > is probably technically incorrect so I put slow in quotation marks to
    > emphasize that it's just how it feels.)

    Did you install the drivers as per the Nvidia instructions, including
    the changes to XF86Config?

    What FPS do you get out of glxgears?

  3. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    > Did you install the drivers as per the Nvidia instructions, including
    > the changes to XF86Config?

    Well ... I installed "per the NVidia instructions" to the best of my
    ability. And I commented out the "Load dri" line per the NVidia
    instructions. I didn't have a "Load GLcore" line, so I didn't have to
    comment that out.

    > What FPS do you get out of glxgears?

    When I maximize the window (my screen res. is 1280x1024) I
    consistantly get 452.400 FPS. But I don't care if I get 100,000 FPS
    with glxgears if my window redraws/resizing are still going to be
    slow.

    When I click a window to minimize to the taskbar, I can see the Desktp
    background come into view as the Desktop redraws itself from top to
    bottom ... it takes probably 2 full seconds for the window to make it
    to the task bar. Trust me - that's a LONG freaking time.

    BTW - I have 1GB (512x2) of PC3200 Extreme Edition RAM running in dual
    channel mode on an ASUS A7N8X nForce2 motherboard. An AMD Athlon
    2500XP

    Under Windows, my system is lightning fast. But like I said earlier,
    running Windows is not an option ... and at this point I would almost
    say that it's *unfortunately* not an option.

    IIRC - before I was running dual head (Xinerama), my Linux Desktop was
    a lot more responsive. In fact - my Laptop (which has pathetic specs
    compared to my Desktop and is also running MDK 10.0 Official) is many
    times more responsive in terms of Desktop responsiveness.

    Maybe it's Xinerama that sucks? Running 1 monitor on this machine
    isn't really an option though - so I guess I'm just screwed.

  4. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    blixel@yahoo.com (David) wrote in message news:<518783f3.0405112253.1f21a87b@posting.google.com>...
    > > Did you install the drivers as per the Nvidia instructions, including
    > > the changes to XF86Config?

    > Well ... I installed "per the NVidia instructions" to the best of my
    > ability. And I commented out the "Load dri" line per the NVidia
    > instructions. I didn't have a "Load GLcore" line, so I didn't have to
    > comment that out.
    > >
    > > What FPS do you get out of glxgears?

    > When I maximize the window (my screen res. is 1280x1024) I
    > consistantly get 452.400 FPS. But I don't care if I get 100,000 FPS
    > with glxgears if my window redraws/resizing are still going to be
    > slow.

    Yeah, thats just to double-check that everything is installed and
    configured OK, which it is

    > When I click a window to minimize to the taskbar, I can see the Desktp
    > background come into view as the Desktop redraws itself from top to
    > bottom ... it takes probably 2 full seconds for the window to make it
    > to the task bar. Trust me - that's a LONG freaking time.

    I agree.

    > BTW - I have 1GB (512x2) of PC3200 Extreme Edition RAM running in dual
    > channel mode on an ASUS A7N8X nForce2 motherboard. An AMD Athlon
    > 2500XP

    Same as me.

    > Under Windows, my system is lightning fast. But like I said earlier,
    > running Windows is not an option ... and at this point I would almost
    > say that it's *unfortunately* not an option.

    Couldn't tell you what my machine would be like if it had windows on
    it

    > IIRC - before I was running dual head (Xinerama), my Linux Desktop was
    > a lot more responsive. In fact - my Laptop (which has pathetic specs
    > compared to my Desktop and is also running MDK 10.0 Official) is many
    > times more responsive in terms of Desktop responsiveness.
    >
    > Maybe it's Xinerama that sucks? Running 1 monitor on this machine
    > isn't really an option though - so I guess I'm just screwed.

    Sounds like that has something to do with it. My setup if almost
    exactly the same as yours, bar I only have 1 GeForce card, its its
    uber-fast.

    I do have an old GeForce 3 card as well, but I can't fit another 21"
    monitor next to the one I already have. I'm partly disabled too, so
    thats even more out of the question for a "quick test" ;l

    I take it the NVidia 5700 Ultra GeForce FX card you have isn't the
    dual-head version, otherwise you could use TwinView...

  5. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    > I take it the NVidia 5700 Ultra GeForce FX card you have isn't the
    > dual-head version, otherwise you could use TwinView...

    I could go TwinView with either card, they both have dual output. But
    since I have two LCD panels, I decided to buy an extra PCI video card
    so that I could have DVI for both screens. Personally I can see the
    difference between DVI and Analog/VGA. DVI is noticeably sharper.

    Here is my XF86Config-4 file ... maybe you can spot something wrong?

    Section "Files"

    RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath "unix/:-1"

    EndSection

    Section "ServerFlags"
    AllowMouseOpenFail
    EndSection

    ################################################## ########################
    # Input devices
    ################################################## ########################

    #
    # Keyboard section
    #
    Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "Keyboard"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "250 30"

    Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"

    EndSection

    #
    # Pointer section
    #
    Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
    Option "Buttons" "7"

    EndSection

    ################################################## ########################
    # Module section
    ################################################## ########################

    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
    Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
    Load "extmod"
    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"
    EndSection

    ################################################## ########################
    # Monitor section
    ################################################## ########################

    Section "Monitor"

    Identifier "Monitor1"
    VendorName "Hitachi"
    ModelName "CML174SX"

    HorizSync 24-80
    VertRefresh 56-60
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"

    Identifier "Monitor2"
    VendorName "Hitachi"
    ModelName "CML174SX"

    HorizSync 24-80
    VertRefresh 56-60

    EndSection

    ################################################## ########################
    # Graphics device section(s)
    ################################################## ########################

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "NV AGP"
    VendorName "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:3:00:0"
    Option "DPMS"
    Option "NoLogo" "1"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "NV PCI"
    VendorName "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:1:10:0"
    Option "DPMS"
    Option "NoLogo" "1"
    EndSection

    ################################################## ########################
    # Screen sections
    ################################################## ########################

    #
    # screen section for an nvidia AGP card
    #
    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen AGP"
    Device "NV AGP"
    Monitor "Monitor1"
    DefaultColorDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x400"
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection

    EndSection

    #
    # screen section for a PCI card
    #
    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen PCI"
    Device "NV PCI"
    Monitor "Monitor2"
    DefaultColorDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x400"
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection

    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Both"
    Screen "Screen AGP"
    Screen "Screen PCI" RightOf "Screen AGP"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "Xinerama" "True"
    EndSection

  6. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    blixel@yahoo.com (David) wrote in message news:<518783f3.0405121252.7f2bff34@posting.google.com>...
    > > I take it the NVidia 5700 Ultra GeForce FX card you have isn't the
    > > dual-head version, otherwise you could use TwinView...

    > I could go TwinView with either card, they both have dual output. But
    > since I have two LCD panels, I decided to buy an extra PCI video card
    > so that I could have DVI for both screens. Personally I can see the
    > difference between DVI and Analog/VGA. DVI is noticeably sharper.
    >
    > Here is my XF86Config-4 file ... maybe you can spot something wrong?

    Seems good. VertRefresh seems a little low, you could probably bump
    that up to something like

    VertRefresh 56 - 70

    (maybe higher, but I don't know your monitor specs) but thats unlikely
    to affect too much.

    Unfortunately I've not played with Xinerama, and that seems to be the
    issue here. Over to the Xinerama experts... :/

  7. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    David wrote:

    > The problem - my desktop is unGodly "slow". (I realize the word slow
    > is probably technically incorrect so I put slow in quotation marks to
    > emphasize that it's just how it feels.)
    >
    > Resizing windows, dragging windows from one point to another,
    > scrolling, etc... the screen redraws are agonizingly slow.

    Apologies if this is a dumb comment, but if Mattias is stumped and
    no-one else is responding then there's nothing to lose...

    I know this is stating the obvious, and probably barking totally up the
    wrong tree, but what do you have for wallpaper? Could the delay be in
    redrawing the background, rather than drawing the windows? My own
    machine got a bit nippier when I went from a scaled 1500x1250 or
    something jpeg to a 1024x768 png

    FP

  8. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    > Seems good. VertRefresh seems a little low, you could probably bump
    > that up to something like
    >
    > VertRefresh 56 - 70
    >
    > (maybe higher, but I don't know your monitor specs) but thats unlikely
    > to affect too much.

    The spec for my monitors is actually 56-75, but I didn't see any
    advantage to running at the higher refresh rate. And for some reason,
    my right side monitor (using the PCI NVidia card), doesn't seem to
    like the 75Hz rate ... So I set them both to 60.

    > Unfortunately I've not played with Xinerama, and that seems to be the
    > issue here. Over to the Xinerama experts... :/

  9. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    > I know this is stating the obvious, and probably barking totally up the
    > wrong tree, but what do you have for wallpaper? Could the delay be in
    > redrawing the background, rather than drawing the windows? My own
    > machine got a bit nippier when I went from a scaled 1500x1250 or
    > something jpeg to a 1024x768 png
    >
    > FP

    Actually when I said "wallpaper", I just meant the desktop background
    in general. I don't actually use a wallpaper image file for my
    background ... at least usually I don't. And in the case I'm not. My
    background is just a shade of dark blue.

    The problem appears to be Xinerama related ... for the time being I've
    switched to using just 1 monitor and the Desktop is much faster. (Not
    nearly as fast as Windows, but it's a lot better than it was.)

  10. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    blixel@yahoo.com (David) wrote in message news:<518783f3.0405131828.36e91e37@posting.google.com>...

    > > Seems good. VertRefresh seems a little low, you could probably bump
    > > that up to something like
    > >
    > > VertRefresh 56 - 70
    > >
    > > (maybe higher, but I don't know your monitor specs) but thats unlikely
    > > to affect too much.

    > The spec for my monitors is actually 56-75, but I didn't see any
    > advantage to running at the higher refresh rate. And for some reason,
    > my right side monitor (using the PCI NVidia card), doesn't seem to
    > like the 75Hz rate ... So I set them both to 60.

    Fairy snuff. For me things running at 60Hz seem "flicky". Also, in a
    very dark corner of my brain, there is something about the vertical
    refresh affecting video performance in very special circumstances.
    Can't for the life of me remember the details though. Could be just
    hooey

    It may be worth asking questions in comp.os.linux.x ?

  11. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    blixel@yahoo.com (David) wrote in message news:<518783f3.0405140134.7837a26@posting.google.com>...
    > > I know this is stating the obvious, and probably barking totally up the
    > > wrong tree, but what do you have for wallpaper? Could the delay be in
    > > redrawing the background, rather than drawing the windows? My own
    > > machine got a bit nippier when I went from a scaled 1500x1250 or
    > > something jpeg to a 1024x768 png
    > >
    > > FP

    > Actually when I said "wallpaper", I just meant the desktop background
    > in general. I don't actually use a wallpaper image file for my
    > background ... at least usually I don't. And in the case I'm not. My
    > background is just a shade of dark blue.
    >
    > The problem appears to be Xinerama related ... for the time being I've
    > switched to using just 1 monitor and the Desktop is much faster. (Not
    > nearly as fast as Windows, but it's a lot better than it was.)

    Really? Speeds should most certainly be comprable. Like I say, my
    system is nearly identical and I have no problems. In fact, I'm only
    on 2.4.26 with a slightly slower card Windows resize instantly, no
    visible screen re-draws or graphic artifacts. Just out of interest,
    have you turned sideband addressing / Fast Writes on? What does "cat
    /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status" show?

    Also, I didn't comment before as I was unsure about specific settings
    required by Xinerama, but you could also take a look in the NVidia
    docs about some of the options you can add to XF86Config. I'm not in a
    position to be able to check this myself right now, but there is an
    option that allows a choice of AGP gart, among other things. I know I
    made at least 3 options changes...

  12. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    > Fairy snuff. For me things running at 60Hz seem "flicky".

    On a CRT - I agree. But with my LCD panels, I'm unable to perceive a
    difference between 60 and 75.

  13. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    > Really? Speeds should most certainly be comprable. Like I say, my
    > system is nearly identical and I have no problems. In fact, I'm only
    > on 2.4.26 with a slightly slower card Windows resize instantly, no
    > visible screen re-draws or graphic artifacts. Just out of interest,
    > have you turned sideband addressing / Fast Writes on? What does "cat
    > /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status" show?

    I'm not familiar with "Fast writes" and "sideband addressing" ... but
    apparently fast writes are disabled ... how do I enable it? (I'll
    look around on my own in the mean time.)

    cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
    Driver: NVIDIA
    AGP Rate: 8x
    Fast Writes: Disabled
    SBA: Enabled

    > Also, I didn't comment before as I was unsure about specific settings
    > required by Xinerama, but you could also take a look in the NVidia
    > docs about some of the options you can add to XF86Config. I'm not in a
    > position to be able to check this myself right now, but there is an
    > option that allows a choice of AGP gart, among other things. I know I
    > made at least 3 options changes...

    Ug ... my eyes started to glaze over after about the third or fourth
    page of config options. I guess I naively expected a reasonable set
    of defaults. I'll go through it again tomorrow or Sunday when I can
    set aside several hours worth of time.

  14. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    > Really? Speeds should most certainly be comprable. Like I say, my
    > system is nearly identical and I have no problems. In fact, I'm only
    > on 2.4.26 with a slightly slower card Windows resize instantly, no
    > visible screen re-draws or graphic artifacts. Just out of interest,
    > have you turned sideband addressing / Fast Writes on? What does "cat
    > /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status" show?

    Nevermind the previous post. I found the option to enable Fast Write
    and have verified that it's now enabled.

    Thanks for the tip. It temporarily lifted my spirit - but there's no
    perceivable difference. Performance is still dog slow, especially on
    the right side monitor (PCI card).

    I'll have to dig around and find that magical combination of
    XF86Config options that you seem to have ... but that will have to
    wait ... I simply don't have the time or patience to tweak video card
    settings for hours upon hours.

  15. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    blixel@yahoo.com (David) wrote in message news:<518783f3.0405142135.1c6dad84@posting.google.com>...

    > I'll have to dig around and find that magical combination of
    > XF86Config options that you seem to have ... but that will have to
    > wait ... I simply don't have the time or patience to tweak video card
    > settings for hours upon hours.

    Oh its nothing funky, and I doubt it'll make Xinerama faster, but hey:

    Here is what I use:

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Graphics device section
    # ************************************************** ********************

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "GeForceFX 5600"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VideoRam 131072
    Option "NvAGP" "3"
    Option "NoLogo" "1"
    Option "RenderAccel" "1"
    Option "DigitalVibrance" "50"
    EndSection

    There are some GUIs for tweaking Nvidia cards, just like there are in
    Windows, but I like to make the changes up close and personal, so to
    speak

    It certainly *should* be blazingly fast.

    Just for fun, here are the other bits I have:

    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe" # Double buffer extension
    SubSection "extmod"
    Option "xfree86-dga" # Initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection
    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "speedo"
    Load "glx"
    Load "drm"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "My Monitor"
    HorizSync 30 - 96
    VertRefresh 40-160
    Option DPMS
    EndSection

    I'm running 1600x1200 @ 75Hz.

    Bit stumped

  16. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    I'll check into that DigitalVibrance and RenderAccel ... I already
    have NoLogo ... and I've played with every NvAGP combination.

    I set my bit depth from 24 to 16 and it increased my performance by a
    factor of about 5 or 10. Though I bet I run into a problem with that
    sooner or later ... not having enough colors being displayed.

    > Oh its nothing funky, and I doubt it'll make Xinerama faster, but hey:
    >
    > Here is what I use:
    >
    > # ************************************************** ********************
    > # Graphics device section
    > # ************************************************** ********************
    >
    > Section "Device"
    > Identifier "GeForceFX 5600"
    > Driver "nvidia"
    > VideoRam 131072
    > Option "NvAGP" "3"
    > Option "NoLogo" "1"
    > Option "RenderAccel" "1"
    > Option "DigitalVibrance" "50"
    > EndSection
    >
    > There are some GUIs for tweaking Nvidia cards, just like there are in
    > Windows, but I like to make the changes up close and personal, so to
    > speak
    >
    > It certainly *should* be blazingly fast.
    >
    > Just for fun, here are the other bits I have:
    >
    > Section "Module"
    > Load "dbe" # Double buffer extension
    > SubSection "extmod"
    > Option "xfree86-dga" # Initialise the DGA extension
    > EndSubSection
    > Load "type1"
    > Load "freetype"
    > Load "speedo"
    > Load "glx"
    > Load "drm"
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Monitor"
    > Identifier "My Monitor"
    > HorizSync 30 - 96
    > VertRefresh 40-160
    > Option DPMS
    > EndSection
    >
    > I'm running 1600x1200 @ 75Hz.
    >
    > Bit stumped

  17. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    Follow up to previous message.

    RenderAccel is No help.

    Oh well ... I give up. I've been using Linux since 96, so I'm use to
    making sacrifices.

    > Oh its nothing funky, and I doubt it'll make Xinerama faster, but hey:
    >
    > Here is what I use:
    >
    > # ************************************************** ********************
    > # Graphics device section
    > # ************************************************** ********************
    >
    > Section "Device"
    > Identifier "GeForceFX 5600"
    > Driver "nvidia"
    > VideoRam 131072
    > Option "NvAGP" "3"
    > Option "NoLogo" "1"
    > Option "RenderAccel" "1"
    > Option "DigitalVibrance" "50"
    > EndSection
    >
    > There are some GUIs for tweaking Nvidia cards, just like there are in
    > Windows, but I like to make the changes up close and personal, so to
    > speak
    >
    > It certainly *should* be blazingly fast.
    >
    > Just for fun, here are the other bits I have:
    >
    > Section "Module"
    > Load "dbe" # Double buffer extension
    > SubSection "extmod"
    > Option "xfree86-dga" # Initialise the DGA extension
    > EndSubSection
    > Load "type1"
    > Load "freetype"
    > Load "speedo"
    > Load "glx"
    > Load "drm"
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Monitor"
    > Identifier "My Monitor"
    > HorizSync 30 - 96
    > VertRefresh 40-160
    > Option DPMS
    > EndSection
    >
    > I'm running 1600x1200 @ 75Hz.
    >
    > Bit stumped

  18. Re: Slow Window Handling, Sluggish Response

    Hi David,

    This is a wild-ass shot in the dark, but an acquaintance of mine had a
    similar issue recently, and the problem turned out to be that
    something he'd installed recently had re-linked /dev/mouse to
    /dev/atimouse instead of /dev/psaux. This apparently caused an
    interrupt conflict (or something) that made the entire system
    excruciatingly slow when X was running. So check to make sure your
    /dev/mouse is pointing where it should.

    Cheers,

    -- Joe

    --