Reconnecting to ISP - Help

This is a discussion on Reconnecting to ISP - Help ; I am running Redhat Version 9. Via a GUI, I execute program "redhat-control-network" to dial into my ISP. I have a call waiting modem, and call waiting, so that I will know if I get a call while connected, and ...

  1. Reconnecting to ISP

    I am running Redhat Version 9. Via a GUI, I execute program
    "redhat-control-network" to dial into my ISP. I have a call waiting
    modem, and call waiting, so that I will know if I get a call while
    connected, and can answer the call should I desire.

    I have a problem, however. If I get a call, and answer the phone, the
    call to my ISP is dropped. That is not the problem. The problem is
    that when I am done with the phone call, I am then unable to use the GUI
    to reconnect; it still shows me as connected, and I cannot deactivate
    the device via the GUI. The only way to correct things is to shut down
    and reboot. I do not want to have to do that. How can I reset things
    without shutting down and rebooting? TIA

  2. Re: Reconnecting to ISP

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 14:23:36 -0700, David Smith wrote:

    > I am running Redhat Version 9. Via a GUI, I execute program
    > "redhat-control-network" to dial into my ISP. I have a call waiting
    > modem, and call waiting, so that I will know if I get a call while
    > connected, and can answer the call should I desire.
    >
    > I have a problem, however. If I get a call, and answer the phone, the
    > call to my ISP is dropped. That is not the problem. The problem is
    > that when I am done with the phone call, I am then unable to use the GUI
    > to reconnect; it still shows me as connected, and I cannot deactivate
    > the device via the GUI. The only way to correct things is to shut down
    > and reboot. I do not want to have to do that. How can I reset things
    > without shutting down and rebooting? TIA

    Try:

    $ killall pppd

    from an xterm or whatever commandline interface your GIDE provides that is
    handier.

    Should work if the permissions are right. If not, make yourself a member
    of the group that pppd belongs to, as root, with adduser.

    On my Debian system, that would be:

    # adduser username dip

    The -v option to killall will give more details about what's going on.

    If it works, alias the command to "k", after checking if the name has
    been taken with:

    $ type k

    This goes in your ~/.bashrc:

    alias k='killall pppd'

    Then do:

    $ source ~/.bashrc

    AC

    --
    Pass-List -----> Block-List ----> Challenge-Response
    The key to taking control of your mailbox. Design Parameters:

+ Reply to Thread