Installing Gtk+ 2.4.1 Dependence Xft - Help

This is a discussion on Installing Gtk+ 2.4.1 Dependence Xft - Help ; After a feirce battle with Glib I got it to work and installed all of Gtk's dependences accept for Xft and I'm having problems with Gtk to find pango (and yes I /sbin/ldconfig after all installations and adding directories to ...

  1. Installing Gtk+ 2.4.1 Dependence Xft

    After a feirce battle with Glib I got it to work and installed all of
    Gtk's dependences accept for Xft and I'm having problems with Gtk to
    find pango (and yes I /sbin/ldconfig after all installations and
    adding directories to the /etc/ld.so.config file). By the way I'm
    useing Red Hat 9.0 and doing all the installing through source
    packages not rpm. I want to learn Linux so I do everything through
    source packages.

    configure: error: Pango 1.2.0 and Xft backend is required for x11
    target

    [root@li105dhcp22 gtk+-2.4.1]# whereis pango
    pango: /etc/pango /usr/lib/pango /usr/local/etc/pango
    /usr/local/lib/pango

    So I LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib and export it and still I get the
    same problem. What can I do to fix this?

    Thats one small issue my bigger one really is with Xft.

    checking for xrender >= 0.8.2... Package xrender was not found in the
    pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xrender.pc'
    No package 'xrender' found
    checking for xrender >= 0... Package xrender was not found in the
    pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xrender.pc'
    No package 'xrender' found
    checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
    checking X11/extensions/Xrender.h usability... yes
    checking X11/extensions/Xrender.h presence... yes
    checking for X11/extensions/Xrender.h... yes
    checking for XRenderQueryVersion... yes
    checking for freetype-config... freetype-config
    checking for fontconfig >= 1.0.1... Package fontconfig was not found
    in the pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fontconfig.pc'
    No package 'fontconfig' found

    First off I donwloaded and installed the latest fontconfig (2.2.94)
    and I have no idea where to download Xrender. I've searched and
    searched but I just can't seem to find where to get it.

    Ok so I found where fontconfig.pc is...

    [root@li105dhcp22 xft-2.1.2]# whereis fontconfig.pc
    fontconfig: /usr/include/fontconfig
    /usr/share/man/man3/fontconfig.3.gz

    Added the directory /usr/include to /etc/ld.so.config and then
    /sbin/ldconfig but still I get the same problem. So I /sbin/ldconfig
    -v to see what it has under /usr/include and it has nothing, it's just
    blank. So what am I doing wrong?

    So as a summary: 1. How do I got Gtk to find pango?
    2. Where can I download Xrender?
    3. How do I get Xft to find fontconfig?

    Thanks for the help, I've been Google searching groups and the web but
    can't seem to find my answer there. This is my last resort.

    Anthony Pankala
    Mechanical Engineering Student
    The Ohio State University
    Pankala.1@osu.edu

  2. Re: Installing Gtk+ 2.4.1 Dependence Xft

    Anthony Pankala wrote:

    I have not used RedHat 9 ???, so my comments here should be viewed as
    general rather than specific.

    > After a feirce battle with Glib I got it to work and installed all of
    > Gtk's dependences accept for Xft and I'm having problems with Gtk to
    > find pango (and yes I /sbin/ldconfig after all installations and
    > adding directories to the /etc/ld.so.config file). By the way I'm
    > useing Red Hat 9.0 and doing all the installing through source
    > packages not rpm. I want to learn Linux so I do everything through
    > source packages.
    >
    > configure: error: Pango 1.2.0 and Xft backend is required for x11
    > target
    >
    > [root@li105dhcp22 gtk+-2.4.1]# whereis pango
    > pango: /etc/pango /usr/lib/pango /usr/local/etc/pango
    > /usr/local/lib/pango

    You seem to have two pangos
    /usr/lib/pango and /etc/pango
    and
    /usr/local/lib/pango /usr/local/etc/pango

    Best to only have one unless you are doing something fancy
    If you are installing an updated libpango it might be best to
    - uninstall the old version first
    - install a new version using your distributions package manager if the
    new version is available (rehat uses rpm packages)

    Personally I find that locate is better for looking for files than
    whereis. You may not have it though.

    % locate libpango
    or
    % locate pc |grep lib

    > So I LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib and export it and still I get the
    > same problem. What can I do to fix this?

    With alot of these types of libraries you need to do two things
    1) Ensure that the library directory is in your /etc/ld.so.conf file, if
    you add new libraries run ldconfig
    2) Make sure that you have the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable set
    See what it is set to with
    % echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH
    /usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/gnome-2.6/lib/pkgconfig

    Your PKG_CONFIG_PATH is set with something like
    export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/opt/gnome-2.6/lib/pkgconfig

    > Thats one small issue my bigger one really is with Xft.
    >
    > checking for xrender >= 0.8.2... Package xrender was not found in the
    > pkg-config search path.
    > Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xrender.pc'
    > No package 'xrender' found
    > checking for xrender >= 0... Package xrender was not found in the
    > pkg-config search path.
    > Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xrender.pc'
    > No package 'xrender' found
    > checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
    > checking X11/extensions/Xrender.h usability... yes
    > checking X11/extensions/Xrender.h presence... yes
    > checking for X11/extensions/Xrender.h... yes
    > checking for XRenderQueryVersion... yes
    > checking for freetype-config... freetype-config
    > checking for fontconfig >= 1.0.1... Package fontconfig was not found
    > in the pkg-config search path.
    > Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fontconfig.pc'
    > No package 'fontconfig' found

    Again this looks like a problem with your PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment
    variable.
    libXrender comes with X11 and should be in /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.so

    Fontconfig is found on freedesktop.org
    ....[snip]...
    > Added the directory /usr/include to /etc/ld.so.config and then
    > /sbin/ldconfig but still I get the same problem. So I /sbin/ldconfig
    > -v to see what it has under /usr/include and it has nothing, it's just
    > blank. So what am I doing wrong?
    >
    > So as a summary: 1. How do I got Gtk to find pango?

    Make sure location of pango.pc is in the PKG_CONFIG_PATH
    > 2. Where can I download Xrender?

    You should have it already if you have X11
    > 3. How do I get Xft to find fontconfig?

    Make sure location of pango.pc is in the PKG_CONFIG_PATH

    Looks like most of your problems are due to your PKG_CONFIG_PATH
    environment variable.

    If you would like to hack your own system and learn about linux, look
    at linuxfromscratch. This just ignores the package dependency thing for
    you alltogether buts takes longer to put together.

+ Reply to Thread