ATI driver installed, now startx and reloading x problems - Help

This is a discussion on ATI driver installed, now startx and reloading x problems - Help ; 3.2 P4 Custom Laptop ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Fedora Core 1 XFree86 4.3.0 kernel 2.4.22-1.2188 I am fairly new to linux, but learning quickly due to a sink or swim attitude. This is my first post so don't rip me ...

  1. ATI driver installed, now startx and reloading x problems

    3.2 P4 Custom Laptop
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
    Fedora Core 1
    XFree86 4.3.0
    kernel 2.4.22-1.2188

    I am fairly new to linux, but learning quickly due to a sink or swim
    attitude. This is my first post so don't rip me apart too much.

    I finally got the ATI driver to work on my system and now it is
    causing problems. When I start X it goes to a black screen with only
    my pointer showing. It stays at this screen until I cycle through the
    resolutions using Ctrl-Alt-num+. All of my resolutions work fine once
    I leave the black screen. This is extremely annoying. I even changed
    the order of the resolutions in my XFConfig file.

    I think this next problem is related. When I leave X, be it
    Ctrl-Alt-backspace, or using the graphical command, I get to the
    command line. Then when I try to startx again it totally crashes my
    system. It won't respond to anything except hitting the power button.
    If I restart the system startx will work again once, then it crashes
    the system again.

    If anyone has any ideas please help, I have been googling this for
    days with no luck. If I left out any info. just let me know.

    Thanks so much,
    Aaron

  2. Re: ATI driver installed, now startx and reloading x problems

    although i'm not sure this is an ati driver issue you should check out
    the ati linux issues thread at rage3d.

    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33733550

+ Reply to Thread