good live linux distro for cybercafe - Help

This is a discussion on good live linux distro for cybercafe - Help ; Going to run four pc's in the cafe/restaurant of the hotel that I work for. These pc's will just offer surfing and printing. Was thinking about using a live linux distro like mepis or knoppix. Just running off the cd ...

  1. good live linux distro for cybercafe

    Going to run four pc's in the cafe/restaurant of the hotel that I work
    for. These pc's will just offer surfing and printing. Was thinking
    about using a live linux distro like mepis or knoppix. Just running
    off the cd and not using the hard drive. Was wondering if there was a
    good small live distro that doesnt have a lot of bells and whistles.
    Users might need open office but chances are they wont. Also most of
    the live distros have a guest and root login by default...anyway i can
    limit the login to the guest account?...maybe with a login script with
    a floppy?..would this work if I am using a live linux distro?...any
    suggestions would be helpful..thanks David

  2. Re: good live linux distro for cybercafe

    david wrote:
    > Going to run four pc's in the cafe/restaurant of the hotel that I work
    > for. These pc's will just offer surfing and printing. Was thinking
    > about using a live linux distro like mepis or knoppix.

    haven't tested these live distros, but i'm sure you'll have a nightmare
    with plugins when most people will expect the browser to be at least
    capable of viewing flash, java, maybe even realplayer stuff.

    --
    Woolsey-Swanson Rule:
    People would rather live with a problem they cannot solve

    remove '.eh' to email

  3. Re: good live linux distro for cybercafe

    maine666@hotmail.com (david) wrote in message news:<41095901.0405051046.67ea2614@posting.google.com>...
    > Going to run four pc's in the cafe/restaurant of the hotel that I work
    > for. These pc's will just offer surfing and printing. Was thinking
    > about using a live linux distro like mepis or knoppix. Just running
    > off the cd and not using the hard drive. Was wondering if there was a
    > good small live distro that doesnt have a lot of bells and whistles.
    > Users might need open office but chances are they wont. Also most of
    > the live distros have a guest and root login by default...anyway i can
    > limit the login to the guest account?...maybe with a login script with
    > a floppy?..would this work if I am using a live linux distro?...any
    > suggestions would be helpful..thanks David

    http://www.wirespring.com/
    http://openkiosk.sourceforge.net/
    http://kiosk.mozdev.org/
    http://www.linux.com/howtos/Kiosk-HOWTO-1.shtml