Not all the memory is find by linux - Help

This is a discussion on Not all the memory is find by linux - Help ; Hi everybody, scuse my english, i'm french I've got a (big?) problem: I buy 256 Megs of RAM (192 Meg + 64 Megs of Shared Memory) and linux recognized only the 192 Meg. Where are the 64 Megs losts? Is ...

  1. Not all the memory is find by linux

    Hi everybody, scuse my english, i'm french
    I've got a (big?) problem:
    I buy 256 Megs of RAM (192 Meg + 64 Megs of Shared Memory)
    and linux recognized only the 192 Meg.
    Where are the 64 Megs losts?
    Is there a option on the linux kernel to enable this memory?
    please help me...
    PS: I try the option "mem=256M" at the boot but it doesn't works

  2. Re: Not all the memory is find by linux

    On Mon, 03 May 2004 00:29:40 -0700, Guillaume wrote:

    > Hi everybody, scuse my english, i'm french I've got a (big?) problem: I
    > buy 256 Megs of RAM (192 Meg + 64 Megs of Shared Memory) and linux
    > recognized only the 192 Meg. Where are the 64 Megs losts? Is there a
    > option on the linux kernel to enable this memory? please help me...
    > PS: I try the option "mem=256M" at the boot but it doesn't works

    You are seeing the correct amount of available system RAM according to
    your own statement. The total system RAM is 256 MB, the system BIOS has
    reduced the total RAM by 64 Megs (Shared Memory) for video reducing the
    available RAM for OS usage to 192 Megs. If you want more available RAM for
    the OS usage reduce in the system BIOS the amount of shared memory for
    video to some lower value. Another option is to purchase a video card with
    memory and disable the on board video and shared memory in the BIOS.

    --
    "In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
    we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96

  3. Re: Not all the memory is find by linux

    > I buy 256 Megs of RAM (192 Meg + 64 Megs of Shared Memory)
    > and linux recognized only the 192 Meg.

    "Shared" as in "shared as video RAM"? As far as Linux is concerned,
    that 64Mb is video RAM, not main memory.

  4. Re: Not all the memory is find by linux

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards sat down at the computer and pounded the following
    into the keyboard:

    >> I buy 256 Megs of RAM (192 Meg + 64 Megs of Shared Memory) and linux
    >> recognized only the 192 Meg.

    > "Shared" as in "shared as video RAM"? As far as Linux is concerned, that
    > 64Mb is video RAM, not main memory.

    I wouldn't slight Linux like that. As far as *any* operating system is
    concerned, there is 192mb of system RAM. I'd hate to have an OS that used
    all 256mb, might be a little hard to see the screen.

    Seriously, why would you share 64mb of memory when you've only got 256mb
    total? I would think 16mb or maybe 32mb would be more than enough, since
    chances are you aren't playing any video-RAM intensive games with only
    192mb of system memory.....

    --
    \\\\\ ----> hedgehog@hedgie.com <----
    \\\\\\\__o Bringing hedgehogs to the common folk since 1994.

    Visit http://www.hedgie.com for information on my latest book,
    "Waiting for War," published by Aventine Press!

  5. Re: Not all the memory is find by linux

    Jimmy Brokaw wrote in message news:...
    > Lewin A.R.W. Edwards sat down at the computer and pounded the following
    > into the keyboard:
    >
    > >> I buy 256 Megs of RAM (192 Meg + 64 Megs of Shared Memory) and linux
    > >> recognized only the 192 Meg.

    > > "Shared" as in "shared as video RAM"? As far as Linux is concerned, that
    > > 64Mb is video RAM, not main memory.

    > I wouldn't slight Linux like that. As far as *any* operating system is
    > concerned, there is 192mb of system RAM. I'd hate to have an OS that used
    > all 256mb, might be a little hard to see the screen.
    >
    > Seriously, why would you share 64mb of memory when you've only got 256mb
    > total? I would think 16mb or maybe 32mb would be more than enough, since
    > chances are you aren't playing any video-RAM intensive games with only
    > 192mb of system memory.....

    I does'nt choose, it's like that, 192 for my linux and 64 for the
    video (and I have'nt got the good driver for my video card, so it's 64
    meg loose).tomorrow i try to go in my bios and change this (onboard
    vga shared memory) and now my computer say 'bip bip bip' search my
    floppy and say 'bip bip' again and nothing...I think I kill my bios or
    something like that pfffff

  6. Re: Not all the memory is find by linux

    Guillaume sat down at the computer and pounded the following into the
    keyboard:

    > I does'nt choose, it's like that, 192 for my linux and 64 for the video
    > (and I have'nt got the good driver for my video card, so it's 64 meg
    > loose).tomorrow i try to go in my bios and change this (onboard vga shared
    > memory) and now my computer say 'bip bip bip' search my floppy and say
    > 'bip bip' again and nothing...I think I kill my bios or something like
    > that pfffff

    If you disabled shared memory, your video card won't work (since it has
    no memory of its own). The beep-beep-beep response is standard for
    a computer with no video output. You'll definately need to enable shared
    memory. I'm surprised there's no way to reduce the amount of memory shared
    in BIOS.

    --
    \\\\\ ----> hedgehog@hedgie.com <----
    \\\\\\\__o Bringing hedgehogs to the common folk since 1994.
    __\\\\\\\'/__________________________________________________ ______

    Visit http://www.hedgie.com for information on my latest book,
    "Waiting for War," published by Aventine Press!

  7. Re: Not all the memory is find by linux

    Jimmy Brokaw wrote in message news:...
    > Guillaume sat down at the computer and pounded the following into the
    > keyboard:
    >
    > > I does'nt choose, it's like that, 192 for my linux and 64 for the video
    > > (and I have'nt got the good driver for my video card, so it's 64 meg
    > > loose).tomorrow i try to go in my bios and change this (onboard vga shared
    > > memory) and now my computer say 'bip bip bip' search my floppy and say
    > > 'bip bip' again and nothing...I think I kill my bios or something like
    > > that pfffff

    > If you disabled shared memory, your video card won't work (since it has
    > no memory of its own). The beep-beep-beep response is standard for
    > a computer with no video output. You'll definately need to enable shared
    > memory. I'm surprised there's no way to reduce the amount of memory shared
    > in BIOS.

    ok,i do a clear cmos -> my computer boot with screen
    but always 192....

  8. Re: Not all the memory is find by linux

    legalguillaume@yahoo.fr (Guillaume) wrote in message news:<3c756c8c.0405052258.4427e235@posting.google.com>...
    > Jimmy Brokaw wrote in message news:...
    > > Guillaume sat down at the computer and pounded the following into the
    > > keyboard:
    > >
    > > > I does'nt choose, it's like that, 192 for my linux and 64 for the video
    > > > (and I have'nt got the good driver for my video card, so it's 64 meg
    > > > loose).tomorrow i try to go in my bios and change this (onboard vga shared
    > > > memory) and now my computer say 'bip bip bip' search my floppy and say
    > > > 'bip bip' again and nothing...I think I kill my bios or something like
    > > > that pfffff

    > > If you disabled shared memory, your video card won't work (since it has
    > > no memory of its own). The beep-beep-beep response is standard for
    > > a computer with no video output. You'll definately need to enable shared
    > > memory. I'm surprised there's no way to reduce the amount of memory shared
    > > in BIOS.

    > ok,i do a clear cmos -> my computer boot with screen
    > but always 192....

    Maybe you can get a BIOS upgrade that will allow you to limit the
    amount of memory taken by the graphics chip? Thats the problem with
    that sort of graphics chip - I always get "real" grpahics cards every
    time!

+ Reply to Thread