RedHat 8 login screen never blanks - Help

This is a discussion on RedHat 8 login screen never blanks - Help ; Hello world, I've just decided to use Red Hat 8 as my daily work system (used to be Windows 2K). I'm very comfortable with text-mode Linux, as I've been setting up and administering servers for a while now. But administering ...

  1. RedHat 8 login screen never blanks

    Hello world,

    I've just decided to use Red Hat 8 as my daily work system (used to be
    Windows 2K). I'm very comfortable with text-mode Linux, as I've been
    setting up and administering servers for a while now. But administering
    this Gnome stuff is new for me.

    My problem is: After I log out of my Gnome session, no screensaver ever
    starts on the GDM login screen.

    Funny thing is, it seems to have worked before AFTER I was logged in as
    root. But now, after I've been using my normal non-root login, I never
    get a screensaver on my login screen any more.

    Any ideas?

    Regards,
    -Dan

    --
    "Trust me, I tried Google before asking."
    [For email replies remove "foo." & "bar." from address.]

  2. Re: RedHat 8 login screen never blanks

    Dan Higgins wrote:

    > My problem is: After I log out of my Gnome session, no screensaver ever
    > starts on the GDM login screen.

    in /etc/inittab --> look for the following line:
    id:5:initdefault:
    change the 5 to a 3

    now -- when you log out, you'll go to a console instead of remaining in
    the GUI login screen.
    to start another Gnome X11session (GUI) just type 'startx' if you're
    still/already logged in.

    > Funny thing is, it seems to have worked before AFTER I was logged in as
    > root.

    don't log in as root. instead, use 'su' after you've logged in as a
    normal user.

    --
    Woolsey-Swanson Rule:
    People would rather live with a problem they cannot solve

    remove '.eh' to email

+ Reply to Thread