equivalent of VB in linux - Help

This is a discussion on equivalent of VB in linux - Help ; Hello guys, and gals I am doing a project on cryptography. I also have written the C code. But how can I make a graphical user interface to that C code, in Linux? In windows, there is Visual Basic. Is ...

  1. equivalent of VB in linux

    Hello guys, and gals
    I am doing a project on cryptography. I also have written the C
    code.
    But how can I make a graphical user interface to that C code, in
    Linux?

    In windows, there is Visual Basic. Is there any software in Linux , by
    which I can make a windows,menus and make a link between them and my C
    code?

    Are there any books,e-books, which detail out the entire procedure of
    creating a GUI software product in linux?

    I hope some of you answer the questions? Thank you

  2. Re: equivalent of VB in linux

    git_cs wrote:

    > In windows, there is Visual Basic. Is there any software in Linux , by
    > which I can make a windows,menus and make a link between them and my C
    > code?

    one suggestion: http://www.borland.com/kylix/
    ..
    "Being disintegrated makes me ve-ry an-gry!"

  3. Re: equivalent of VB in linux

    git_cs@rediffmail.com (git_cs) wrote in message news:<5cd54c25.0405012225.7ee69d76@posting.google.com>...
    > Hello guys, and gals
    > I have written the C code.
    > How can I make a graphical user interface to that C code, in
    > Linux?
    >
    > Are there any books,e-books, which detail out the entire procedure of
    > creating a GUI software product in linux?

    Loads. http://www.google.com/linux is your friend.

    You can try GTK:
    http://www.gtk.org
    http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/

    QT:
    http://www.trolltech.com

    You may also like Kylix:
    http://www.borland.com/kylix/

    And Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...84817?v=glance

  4. Re: equivalent of VB in linux

    I've been looking at Tcl - it is a pretty easy language to learn and the Tk
    extensions make the GUI simple to create and work with. If you want more
    info on Tcl and Tk take a look at http://www.tcl.tk/scripting/

    As far as books go, 'Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk' by Brent Welch.
    [Prentice Hall, 2003. 4th Ed ISBN: 0130385603] is very good and covers all
    the issues you mention.

    HTH

    Rob.

    "git_cs" wrote in message
    news:5cd54c25.0405012225.7ee69d76@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello guys, and gals
    > I am doing a project on cryptography. I also have written the C
    > code.
    > But how can I make a graphical user interface to that C code, in
    > Linux?
    >
    > In windows, there is Visual Basic. Is there any software in Linux , by
    > which I can make a windows,menus and make a link between them and my C
    > code?
    >
    > Are there any books,e-books, which detail out the entire procedure of
    > creating a GUI software product in linux?
    >
    > I hope some of you answer the questions? Thank you

  5. Re: equivalent of VB in linux

    git_cs wrote:

    > Hello guys, and gals
    > I am doing a project on cryptography. I also have written the C
    > code.
    > But how can I make a graphical user interface to that C code, in
    > Linux?
    >
    > In windows, there is Visual Basic. Is there any software in Linux , by
    > which I can make a windows,menus and make a link between them and my C
    > code?
    >
    > Are there any books,e-books, which detail out the entire procedure of
    > creating a GUI software product in linux?
    >
    > I hope some of you answer the questions? Thank you

    VB isn't going to help you to write GUIs for C-language code without
    considerable effort.

    That aside, you has an overwhelming number of solutions available to you.

    There's VB-like tools like QTDesigner or, better yet, Kommander. There is
    GLADE which will help whip up a GUI for GTK very quickly. There are a wide
    array of toolkits that make GUI writing fairly easy. You can also code in
    Java and use CNI or JNI to link your C code to Java (you can even use
    SwingWT and gcj to compile the Java directly into native code).

    Other's like to use Tcl/Tk for GUIs, and there are Qt and Gtk bindings to
    almost every language there is.

    --
    remove .spam from address to reply by e-mail.

  6. Re: equivalent of VB in linux

    git_cs wrote:

    > Hello guys, and gals
    > I am doing a project on cryptography. I also have written the C
    > code.
    > But how can I make a graphical user interface to that C code, in
    > Linux?
    >
    > In windows, there is Visual Basic. Is there any software in Linux , by
    > which I can make a windows,menus and make a link between them and my C
    > code?
    >
    > Are there any books,e-books, which detail out the entire procedure of
    > creating a GUI software product in linux?
    >
    > I hope some of you answer the questions? Thank you

    You've already had some nice help from others, but let me add my $0.02
    worth... There's a VB like language for Linux named GAMBAS. You can find
    it via google quite easily. It's a nice language, can use qt and kde
    widgets...

    Good luck.

    --

    Registered Linux User Number 185956